Poll

Did you enjoy playing the newest game in the franchise?

Love it
25 (56.8%)
Hate it
6 (13.6%)
In the middle
13 (29.5%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: FFXIII: Love it or Hate it? [ SPOILERS ]  (Read 11654 times)

Fairy Girl

• Hedge Knight
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
FFXIII: Love it or Hate it? [ SPOILERS ]
« on: June 01, 2010, 03:07:17 AM »
I completed it two days ago, so here's my final, overall verdict. I neither love it or hate it. I'm in the middle. I enjoyed most parts of the game. Others, not so much. There have been much discrepancy surrounding this game and I'm not surprised. It's a brave move forwards from the old JRPG mold which was always bound to polarise views.

On the story - it is not the best I have seen, but still typical of an epic Final Fantasy storyline anyhow. The setting and lore is certainly interesting - particularly everything to do with the Fal'Cie, Cocoon, War of Transgression etc. Just like FFXII, a lot of attention was put into setting and story that makes FFXIII a highlight over its current JRPG competitors. Unfortunately I did not like everything. Some aspects of the story I found disappointing
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On the gameplay - the linearity wasn't torturous. Even in the earlier chapters there was still gameplay there. However, until Chapter 11, the game just feels like a marathon of battles and the odd cutscenes. As the player you just seem to be rushing forwards, determined to reach the finishing line. It did help the story flow quickly and efficiently though, but up until you are free to do sidequests later and to run around, it was a bit limited in terms of gameplay. The battle system can be praised. It was more dynamic, albeit made a little easier compared to previous games.

On the visuals and music - they are mostly spectacular. The graphics are as astonishing as ever and there are a handful of beautiful CGI sequences embedded. SE really have paid a lot of attention to visuals. The soundtrack is not the best out there, but it did the job well. I do wish the more traditional themes are there, such as the Prologue opening theme and the battle victory jingle.

My question to you is: Did you like FFXIII or not?  ;D

The point is, I have people I can count on. I'll make it through... ~Serah Farron

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round
  • Simply myself, no more and no less.
  • Mood: Relieved Relieved

• View Profile
Re: FFXIII: Love it or Hate it? [ SPOILERS ]
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 04:13:30 AM »
You can say I loved it. It's my second favorite FF game(for now) with only FFXII beating it. And nothing beats FFXII, so no surprises for me lol. I love the challenge and story very much - almost throughout the entire story, I get the feeling that the story is "alive" which is hard to do for many games. It felt natural and exiting. I like that.

On the freedom issue, the linearity would kind of bug me, if I was to play this game extensively. However, I think FFXIII ends up like FFX, where I do a playthrough maybe once in a while and then put it down again. If I'm just playthroughing, it's fun. Of course a challenge here and there(NCC) seems fun as well. As long as I don't pour millions of hours into it, it stays fresh. :D I'll just allow myself to get lost in the story once again.

My biggest disappointment in FFXIII is postgame fun. Apart from the extra scenes and Titan's trials, I found the missions a bit drudging. Just me though.

SwordStealer is my twin from across the country! ;D

SilverSummoner

• Moppet
  • Mood: Exhausted Exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 10:46:17 PM »
Lol, 1 person hated it.  ;D

I loved Final Fantasy XIII for what it is instead of what it's not. Overall, it was a very enjoyable game. My only criticism was the linearity, which I completely forgot about once Chapter 11 came.

A1X_Jet

• Vanguard
  • ....you jes fulla surprises, ain't ya?
  • Mood: Content Content

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 04:37:52 AM »
It's easier to say love it than it is hate it.

I don't hate it. I'm in Chp4, so I guess I could eventually come to hate it, but slim chances. The battle system is ridiculously great and it's the first Final Fantasy that really went out of its way to point out all the characters personalities and history as early as possible so you can adapt and relate early.

I haven't even gotten to Sezh's part of the history yet but I already consider him my favorite character.

EMPIRE: Book One: Beginning of the End -- Go into battle determined to die, and you will survive; Go into battle hoping to live, and surely you will not.
EMPIRE: Beginning of the End
PSN: KillerTofue

xkeyblademasterx07

• Brave Companion
  • I am the bullet in the gun
  • Mood: Confused Confused

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 09:55:35 PM »
i love it, well i love mostly ch 11 and after that since thats when you egt to finally explore and the linearity ends(at least sidequest-wise)

having lots of fun right now, so i guess it was worth it after all

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so -William Shakespeare

"I'm no hero. Never was. Never will be. I'm just an old killer here to do some wetwork"- Solid Snake

Storm Rider

• Moppet
  • The Keyblade's Chosen One
  • Mood: Thoughtful Thoughtful

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 10:05:17 PM »
Lol, 1 person hated it.  ;D
Unfortunately, that person was me and hopefully I won't be flamed again for just giving my opinion.

Why? Let's see: The linearity is way to constricting and I think it's probably the worst linearity I have seen in a Final Fantasy. Especially since the story is separated into Chapters so you can't even return to previous areas. Gameplay is not bad, but the lack of choices in battle even after Crystarium is dishearting. Not to mention it's such a lonely world, yeah; I understand they are fugitives, but did you have to treat every single NPC in the game like pure crap? The game feels like less of a fantasy, and more of a Sci-Fi (but I guess Sci-Fi can be considered fantasy). The game just feels like a endless cycle of:

Monster hunting -> cutscene -> more monster hunting -> cutscene + boss -> end of chapter. The missions are good, but it's yet another excuse for monster hunting.  Sorry, I try to find redeeming factors about this game but I just can't find any other than the characters and their development. I stopped playing after beating the final boss.

FFXIII gets a 5/10 from me.

"Fight the darkness, or become the darkness..."

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 05:46:03 PM »
Unfortunately, that person was me and hopefully I won't be flamed again for just giving my opinion.

Why? Let's see: The linearity is way to constricting and I think it's probably the worst linearity I have seen in a Final Fantasy. Especially since the story is separated into Chapters so you can't even return to previous areas. Gameplay is not bad, but the lack of choices in battle even after Crystarium is dishearting. Not to mention it's such a lonely world, yeah; I understand they are fugitives, but did you have to treat every single NPC in the game like pure crap? The game feels like less of a fantasy, and more of a Sci-Fi (but I guess Sci-Fi can be considered fantasy). The game just feels like a endless cycle of:

Monster hunting -> cutscene -> more monster hunting -> cutscene + boss -> end of chapter. The missions are good, but it's yet another excuse for monster hunting.  Sorry, I try to find redeeming factors about this game but I just can't find any other than the characters and their development. I stopped playing after beating the final boss.

FFXIII gets a 5/10 from me.

You are entirely entitled to your opinion, but let me say this: Crisis Core is a game far more linear than FFXIII, and the NPC's are even scarcer there, and for some reason, people didn't mind it there.

Ashe10

• Moppet
  • ? I love my Jamie ?

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 05:49:17 PM »
You are entirely entitled to your opinion, but let me say this: Crisis Core is a game far more linear than FFXIII, and the NPC's are even scarcer there, and for some reason, people didn't mind it there.

I guess because it's "FF7"  :D

Shadow Gilgamesh

• Order of Ambrosia
  • All your weapons are belong to me!
  • Mood: Lazy Lazy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 05:54:49 PM »
all those random missions in FFCC are accesable almost from the start, and it has zach so it automaticly wins, FFXIII had the missions late, and had no zack, so it had a harder time

Storm Rider

• Moppet
  • The Keyblade's Chosen One
  • Mood: Thoughtful Thoughtful

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 09:40:35 PM »
...I didn't like Crisis Core. I really have a hate for linear games to be honest, and FFXIII to continue that... it's just disheartening.

"Fight the darkness, or become the darkness..."

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 06:58:16 AM »
Watch out for your eyes. They may just plode at my long post. Also, mild spoilers and a few possible typos.

I'm going to analyze the differences between 13 and the others, and expand upon them and also explain why MOST of the changes they made were just fine.

Let's start with linearity. Not my favorite thing in the world, sure. I prefer FFXII's style of exploration and intricacy, in which the game was designed in a way which you would follow the story, but complete marks along the way. It's evident throughout the game that they want this to happen, due to seemingly deliberate breaks in the storyline(after Barheim, after Raithwall, before and after Archades, and after Pharos). It's these points in the game that allow you to explore Ivalice in full, and mainly marks, which in themselves allow you to get to know the world's people and culture, which ultimately places a massive impact on how you receive the story. One of the reasons I get so infuriated at people who hate on FFXII is because they make opinions without actually playing the game the way it was meant to be played. Anybody who said it was an MMO clearly didn't take time to absorb the differences between an MMO's quests, and FF12's sidequests. FF12's sidequests each left impacts that sort of symbolize what the world is, and why the entire party is fighting for their freedom. With that, the story itself feels more rewarding, and you feel more attached to the otherwise slow-to-change characters like Penelo and Fran. Especially Ashe, but I'm not going to go there because she's my favorite character in all of Final Fantasy. I'd explode with bias. Anyway, it's this sense of being able to do what you want in the story that made FF12. Can I continue the story now? Sure. Do I have to? Nope. You can relax and do whatever you darn well please, 90% of the game because that's how it's constructed. I'd think it's obvious for players to sense this and take advantage of it. Players never take the time to place themselves in the character's shoes, and that's why so many people dislike them.

Now, let's take this back to 13. All I mentioned above about freedom is gone. You HAVE to follow the storyline nearly all the time, and sidequests don't even come into play until around 20+ hours in the story. On top of that, the marks that they attempted to copy from 12 lack the most important thing: the PEOPLE that made the marks worth experiencing in the freaking first place. They're there only because Square realized that they made a game that serves only battles and storyline, and nothing else, and of course they can't have that. However, look at what this gave FFXIII. It's story is one of the most flowing and alive stories I have ever experienced, and it caused me, for the first time, to appreciate characters I didn't like at first as respectable, worthy Final Fantasy characters. It's honestly the first time a game has made me like every character. On top of that, you never get bored, your first time through, anyway. When you do get to Gran Pulse, it feels so realistically shocking because after 20 hours of simply following the arrow on the minimap, it really feels like you've entered a new world. Square wanted this, and would you say they achieved it? I think so. As for Ch11's difficulty spike, every FF game has one. For FFX, it was shortly after the Calm Lands, and for FFXII, it was shortly after Archades. For Kingdom Hearts, it was after Hollow Bastion. See my drift? It's normal.

But FFXIII's linearity serves the plot, and that's what S-E wanted. To tell a full-time story for the first time, and leave out everything else. Final Fantasy XIII may be a tunnel, but no sane person can deny that it's probably the most entertaining tunnel you'll ever be crawling through. I like to call FFXIII a preview of Final Fantasy: you get a little bit of everything. We have storylines like so, we have worlds like this, and we have some side-quests for you to do too. If a newcomer played FFXIII and no other FF games, s/he would probably like other FF games after 13, which would normally not happen as most gamers can't get used to the RPG-ish change of gameplay after playing games like MW2 or Resident Evil. My friend Jenny beat her first Final Fantasy game and nearly 100%'d it, which was 13. She's a gamer who plays Left 4 Dead and Bioshock. But she loves FFXIII, and now she wants to play FFX. I think she's ready now she's played FFXIII, don't you? It prepares new gamers for the series, yet it doesn't let back on its hardcore fans either. FFXIII is most definitely one of the harder FF games out there. It takes actual strategy and reaction ability to play, not just jamming X or A. Square Enix has been able to supply for both types of gamers, and also make it an HD game. That's something. It really is. Now, if they can combine what made FFXII awesome and what made FFXIII awesome for FFXV, I would honestly adore it. But I will anyway, probably lol.

One final thing. A problem I have with many gamers is that they cannot open their minds to what they are playing. If someone played Pokemon, expecting to have a story like Final Fantasy, would they like it? No, but if that same person played Pokemon, and expected to take what Pokemon gave them, and focus on the awesome things that make Pokemon good, then that same person would like it. People who close their minds and bias other games on certain other games don't even deserve to enjoy the game they're playing. With Final Fantasy, every game is different, so it must be treated the same way. I don't expect FFX to be like FFIV, but I sure as hell love both games. If people on the whole can see each game from that standpoint that each game is meant to entertain people in their own unique way, then technically, every game would be good. Take what good things a game gives to you, and leave the rest. That doesn't mean you can't criticize it, but to hate a game for that reason? I'm going to come out right now and say that that is a very stupid reason. You can dislike, but respect what makes others enjoy it, and then maybe, just maybe, you'll find you won't have such a problem with it anymore.

Shoe

• Moppet
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 10:33:42 AM »
^ Fantastical post Wee :D It may have made my eyes bleed but it was extremely thought out and well articulated. It stole most of the words I was going to type right out of my mouth (er...hands. Idk). I just beat XIII yesterday, and I was so blown away by the ending...I mean it was GORGEOUS.

I like to describe XIII like this: it is a milestone game. I also group FFX in this category. I love them both dearly, but X was the first fully voiced Final Fantasy. They wanted to showcase that fact, and they did so, very well I might add (barring a few scenes...*cough* HAHAHA--you know the rest). XIII is the same thing. S-E wanted to show what they could do for a Final Fantasy game with the PS3's hardware. They created a Final Fantasy 100% in HD. That was their #1 goal. The game does have it setbacks (like the tunnel vision) but it is the first game in HD. This was their experiment. Now that S-E knows the quality of work they can produce, they can begin to expand and innovate.

One nagging feeling I have in the back of my mind however is that 3-D is quickly becoming the next big thing, so they might just announce FFXV in 3-D, which would be crazy.

"To be forgotten is worse than death."
            -Freya Crescent, FFIX

A1X_Jet

• Vanguard
  • ....you jes fulla surprises, ain't ya?
  • Mood: Content Content

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 10:53:30 PM »
Not to contradict anything Wee said about the positives of FFXIII, and I promise this is on topic AND supportive of FFXIII, I have to admit the reasons I don't like XII and why I personally believe XIII to be the better game, and the better Final Fantasy:

XII felt lacking in the story department. When I play FF, I play for story and characters. I enjoy the big monsters and the dozens of weapons and the music and graphics, but I REALLY want the story to blow me away. Like a novel that I have to kill monsters to read. To me, that's genuine FF.

Unfortunately, I felt like XII was "kill monsters when you get the free time, but for now here's the story." You understand my meaning? XIII was the opposite. It was a rollercoaster on a never ending rail leading right into separate movie theaters until finally you got to the last part and it was like "BAM! IMAX IN HD 3D!"

Pretty awesome, especially on a 1020 Sony LCD HDTV.

Sorry for bashing XII.

EMPIRE: Book One: Beginning of the End -- Go into battle determined to die, and you will survive; Go into battle hoping to live, and surely you will not.
EMPIRE: Beginning of the End
PSN: KillerTofue

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 02:58:29 AM »
Not to contradict anything Wee said about the positives of FFXIII, and I promise this is on topic AND supportive of FFXIII, I have to admit the reasons I don't like XII and why I personally believe XIII to be the better game, and the better Final Fantasy:

XII felt lacking in the story department. When I play FF, I play for story and characters. I enjoy the big monsters and the dozens of weapons and the music and graphics, but I REALLY want the story to blow me away. Like a novel that I have to kill monsters to read. To me, that's genuine FF.

Unfortunately, I felt like XII was "kill monsters when you get the free time, but for now here's the story." You understand my meaning? XIII was the opposite. It was a rollercoaster on a never ending rail leading right into separate movie theaters until finally you got to the last part and it was like "BAM! IMAX IN HD 3D!"

Pretty awesome, especially on a 1020 Sony LCD HDTV.

Sorry for bashing XII.

That's alright. FFXII, in my opinion, has a great story, but tells it in a different way. I also adore FFXIII's story because, exactly like you said, it's like a roller coaster of excitement and action and fun. FFXII lacks this roller-coaster-y feeling, I admit and accept that. But, to me, a story doesn't have to have that to be good. The reason I think FFXII's story is completely fine is because it's mature, it's complex, and it branches out into a whole separate genre of storytelling than Final Fantasy has told before. Now, it has a mature storyline, nobody can deny that. While there may be some childish characters like Vaan and Kytes, the story puts more of a focus on the people who have more of an impact on the outcome of the plot. Ashe, for instance, is a princess dethroned, fatherless, husband-less, and left in a year-long stage of depression before pulling herself together. That year-long stage of depression is never expanded upon or referenced/confirmed, but she 100% went through it because of how I see her actions in the story. Also, Balthier and Basch equally have their own reasons for traveling, as does Larsa and Gabranth and Reddas. FFXII doesn't spoonfeed you the story; you've really got to think hard about it to comprehend it. I guess that's what I like. I've always been fond of analyzing literature and to me, FFXII does the same thing. It also expands on the complexity of the story as well. The final reason I love the story, as I've said, is because it's different. The only story I can say was anywhere similar to FFXII's was FFTactics's, and go figure, they're both in Ivalice. Now, I'm not saying FFXII's story is on par with Tactics's, because it sure as hell isn't. Tactics has a far superior story to FFXII, but FFXII's story is nowhere near bad, at least not for me. It's of the same mold, and that's what I like. Those games are the only two that haven't focused on love and romance and friendship and stopping the darkness from taking over the world, like most FF games are. I like all that, but the change of pace is definitely welcome. Stories that can deal with people and their issues of corruption and honesty, and can realistically make sense while still being able to be called "Fantasy" are stories that I like. FFXIII... while I love it's story soo much, there's no doubt that it's not as realistic as FFXII's. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that either, because as I said, I like stories that go into a little romance and personal growth and focus more on characters and less on the world. I like that. But, I like FFXII's style too. They're just completely different. One's more of a analyzable story, and the other is more of a movie that doesn't force you put any effort to understand. They're both amazing ways to tell a story, and they're both awesome.

As I was saying in the post above, a synchronization of these two stories would be AMAZING and probably the best storyline yet. I'm waiting for what FFXV has to offer. Sorry for going a bit off topic, just wanted to say what I thought. ;D

« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 03:00:16 AM by wee187 »

DragonSLAYER45

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 03:03:12 AM »
The battle system can be praised. It was more dynamic, albeit made a little easier compared to previous games.
Agreed. There are many elements of FFXIII's battle-system that I love, and I think Square should hold on to them - like how unforgivingly fast-paced the battles are and how they keep you on your toes by forcing you to change tactics mid-battle, but it lacks depth, and for me, gets repetitive rather quickly.

It does have its fair share of annoying flaws, too - for example, sometimes your party members will maladroitly wonder into the path of your Sentinel, whose job it is to soak up the enemies' attacks, and consequently, they'll die. It's little things like this that detract from the overall experience. Not to mention the little annoying fact that when you die, the game automatically declares that you lose, despite the fact that your remaining party members could easily just revive you at the drop of a hat.

Then there's the niggling fact that the game doesn't keep a memory of your Paradigm configurations for specific party set-ups, which means you have to go through the invidious process of resetting your Paradigms every time you decide to switch your party set-up. All of my aforementioned quibbles dwarf in comparison to my biggest beef with the battle-system though, which is, its restrictiveness and the lack of player interaction.

The linearity didn't bother me up until Chapter 11, where the "whole game" apparently opens up. I found that this is an over-exaggerated statement made by Square Enix and players. It was fine because the game was story driven up to that point, but all you have is an open plain and numerous paths that lead off are just as linear as everything before it. I don't know if "opens-up" means that the game is no longer linear or you are free to do whatever the hell you please.

The story was confusing at times, and it felt too convoluted. I still don't understand about 50% of the plot because it jumps from one point to the next. I really don't understand what the fal'Cie were planning exactly and I've played two playthroughs of the game so far. I only saw that character development had the only driving force of the story.

Well, that's my two cents about FFXIII. I guess in conclusion you can say I loved it besides a few flaws.