Poll

Did you enjoy playing the newest game in the franchise?

Love it
25 (56.8%)
Hate it
6 (13.6%)
In the middle
13 (29.5%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: FFXIII: Love it or Hate it? [ SPOILERS ]  (Read 11402 times)

MHunter

• Moppet

• View Profile
Re: FFXIII: Love it or Hate it? [ SPOILERS ]
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2010, 03:58:38 PM »
Well, I loved it.
The story was awesome, I mean, the characters development was great, really great, as someone said, the story kinda feels alive, you just play and play and the plot comes on. It was very entertaining, but I've got the feeling that they didn't explore too well the plot, I mean, there are some things not too well explained, for example, Lindzei, The Maker, Etro, and some other divinities mentioned in the Analects.

The battle system was awesome too, the AI kinda screw up sometimes but it's okay.
Speaking about towns, IMO it's impossible you simply go to a town when all characters are seen as antichrists, It would be like:
- Hey Mr. Pulse L'Cie, do you wanna buy a new super overpowered weapon to kill me and all Coccon? :D
Would make no sense at all. That's why you don't have towns, nor important NPCs, you are hated, by everyone. Just that.

Soundtrack excellent too, It fits the characters emotions and situations. Moreover, this game has the most humans characters in my opinion. I mean, they grow up with the history, they're humans, they lie, they screw up, they change their mind, they try to kill another party member, they hit each other... They're humans. I loved this thing.

This game could be a lot better, but it's fine and entertaining.
And if you want more strategy on battles, try NCU Challenge and you'll see how strategic this game can be.

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round
  • Simply myself, no more and no less.
  • Mood: Relieved Relieved

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2010, 06:09:33 PM »
Haha, I agree. The only thing I would also want work on is the dialogue. The story was amazing, but the script itself did get quite corny at times, at least compared to FFXII's superb translation that managed to liplock cutscenes and have its own style at the same time.

All in all though, FFXIII is a great, fun game. Even the Mission sidequests, which I found initially dull, have started to become somewhat addicting in the past few days I've been playing.

SwordStealer is my twin from across the country! ;D

Radiant Savior

• Moppet
  • Heir to the wyrmking
  • Mood: Indescribable Indescribable

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2010, 02:11:42 AM »
I can say for sure that I truly did love playing Final Fantasy XIII. As a matter of fact, I loved almost just about everything this game had to offer. Although, I won't deny that the game had a few faults in it:

Starting with the NPCs. If you read my post in the "What could have made this game a lot better" topic, you would know that I found that over 50% of the NPCs in this game had no purpose to serve whatsoever in the later portions of the game. Frankly, it just made the world all the more lonely.

The story was very good, but the dialogue was really cheesy at some parts. However, I'm not going to deny that the dialogue was very well done in others... but I only found that happened towards the ending portions of the game or the most dramatic sequences. The part where Hope was confronting Snow became one of my favorite scenes in Final Fantasy, the dialogue and the voice acting in that one scene made it seem almost believable.

The linearity, frankly, I'm not going to deny it either, can get annoying sometimes. However, I'm not going to deny that this isn't the first time Final Fantasy has done this. Really, linearity is something everyone is complaining about and I can't really see what the big deal is. As far as I can remember, each of the past Final Fantasy's had some kind of linearity attached to it. I can't remember a game when all you could basically do in the game was go forward, because that's what we really have to do in the end don't we?

The characters were excellent although I'm not going to forget the pain some of them put me through in the beginning. I found Hope and Vanille to be quite irritating at first, but got better as the game went on. Character development is a beautiful thing isn't it?

The visuals were superb, as usual. Each and every Final Fantasy hasn't failed in visuals yet. The gameplay, is by far, my favorite in the series. The fast-paced battle system and difficulty of the game just made it all the more fun for me. I never got tired of the battle system. However, I am disappointed about the lack of choices you could make in battle but that didn't bother me much.

All in all; Final Fantasy XIII is still a great game despite some of it's faults. I find that people need to look past the game's linearity and they will see an extraordinary experience that the game provides. Right now, Final Fantasy XIII sits at #4 on my favorite Final Fantasy list. Just behind XII, IX, and VI.

tl;dr - I'm rambling again.

IMMA FIRIN MAH MEGAFLARE LAZER.

chaosblade02

• Moppet

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2011, 11:36:05 PM »
I hate be bring bad news, but I honestly didn't like FF XIII that much.  I played through the normal story and beat the game, but I was not interested at all in doing the post game hunts and content.

I looked into some of the post game content, and was only looking forward into farming a whole lot of adamantoises and doing a few more hunts.  I did do ever possible hunt that I could before post game, at least the ones it was possible to beat at that time. 

The game was really linear, no breaks in the main story at all until chapter 11.  Some people found the game challenging, I didn't.  The only time I ever had to reset once was during the first Odin fight, and I was still getting used to the battle system at that point.  And then it took 2 tries to beat that mark in the bottom of Taejin's tower before post game, the flying one with that spams stat effects, etc. 

I thought the hunts and marks in FF XII were more fun, rewarding and challenging.

I hope they take a few steps back in the FF series, and make another one like an old school game.  FFX had the old school feel to it, they should do another one like that.  And the blitzball minigame was really good.