Author Topic: What do you think could have made this game better?  (Read 5075 times)

ChefTonberry

• Moppet
  • Serving Karma

• View Profile
Re: What do you think could have made this game better?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 07:16:01 AM »
I really think they shouldn't have made them all L'Cie. Really, I think the story would have been a lot better if Serah remained a L'Cie and the playable cast had to help her complete her focus. They really forced them all together, and I think this would have added a bit more depth to it.

Oh yeah, and make Serah look as though she is old enough to legally date Snow <.< I swear, she looks like a Barbie Doll and isn't she 18?

Storm Rider

• Moppet
  • The Keyblade's Chosen One
  • Mood: Thoughtful Thoughtful

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 09:21:18 AM »
Ditch the rating system and capped Crystarium Grid and maybe make the story a little less linear driven and a little more fun is what I think would have made this game a bit better. Also: bring back the Prelude, Victory Fanfare and classic spells. Without it, I might as well not even call it Final Fantasy at all. I could understand trying the series evolving, but that doesn't mean to get rid of everything that has stayed with it since it's birth.

...Based on my previous complaints, you all were probably expecting a huge wall o' text eh? I decided to give Final Fantasy XIII one more try and it swayed some of my complaints except the one's mentioned above.

"Fight the darkness, or become the darkness..."

Nevfx

• Moppet
  • Mood: Happy Happy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 01:58:38 PM »
Eh, you are not the only one. Granted; I can sometimes be annoyed by it, in the end I could care less about the game's linearity because, like I said, every Final Fantasy in the past was linear to the extent. Even Final Fantasy XII, the king of openness, was linear. It was just a lot less noticeable in that game.

For one reason I'm sure we can all agree on is that Final Fantasy XIII has the most constricting linearity so far in the Final Fantasy series.
[/b]

Yes, thats the best way to put it, I think. Its the more noticable one, although of course all of them have one ending, its not like Chrono Cross for example, which, especially on a new game plus has thousands of endings.

Sanji

• Hedge Knight
  • ''You change the future, you change the past''
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 04:59:09 PM »
1. More towns
2. Minigames
3. Secret Bosses
But without these i still love the game :D

Spee

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Endure and survive.
  • Mood: Thoughtful Thoughtful

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 12:23:05 PM »
The Crystarium needs a major improvement. The fact that the entire game is basically a piece of string, I don't understand why the character progression needed to be so linear as well. I really think something like this should be removed in general. Bring back the Experience Points and traditional leveling up.

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 12:49:48 PM »
The traditional levelling up is even more linear than the Crystarium board ::)

If they have to bring anything back it should be either the job system or an improved version of the sphere grid. Those where the only 2 systems that really allowed players to set up there team as they wanted it.

UltimaChaos

• Moppet
  • Mood: Calm Calm

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 06:40:24 PM »
The sphere grid was cool, i preferred the license board from 12 though, and the license board system on IZJS is good.

Apart from the obvious, if they had towns, better system for levelling up, more mini games, more freedom in exploring areas instead of going in a straight line etc etc, one thing that really annoys me when you go into battle mode is when the music changes to the battle music.  They should have just kept the back ground music to what level you are on playing instead of changing, annoys me it does!

Sentinel

• Hedge Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 08:26:08 PM »
Even Final Fantasy XII, the king of openness, was linear. It was just a lot less noticeable in that game.
FFXII isn't really that "open" at all. I mean, it definitely lacks the linearity that FFX and FFXIII share, but that's kind of where it ends. It lets the player roam around certain areas, yet it does often restrict the player from going wherever they want to until later.

Radiant Savior

• Moppet
  • Heir to the wyrmking
  • Mood: Indescribable Indescribable

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 06:46:33 AM »
One of my main problems with this game is it's NPCs, now beware of my rant coming up and escape while you still can. I could also be wrong with most of the stuff below but my memory is still a little fuzzy from the earlier parts of the game. Really, I think I have a pretty darn good reason for forgetting this...

I noticed that all of the NPCs in this game were treated like they were lower than dirt. Seriously, most of the time I forgot half of them even existed... this includes Hope's mother and father, Rygdea, Jihl Nabaat, Amodar, Team NORA, and pretty much every person on Cocoon and this list alone makes up like what; maybe 50% of the characters in FFXIII?

Rydgea and Hope's father pretty much dropped off the face of Cocoon.
Jihl Nabaat.... I don't even want to comment. She has what, three scenes in the entire game and you never fight her? This is pathetic for an antagonist. I also saw so much potential in her when I first saw her... I thought she was going to be a great villain. I hate it when I'm wrong.
Amodar appears in one scene in the game and that's it... a utter waste of a character. I would like it if there was some kind of confrontation between him and Lightning in some point in the game. Instead, he's just random.
Hope's mother is never mentioned again after Chapter 7 IIRC... and Team NORA just appears, disappears, then reappears and later disappears.

Quite frankly, I'm pretty sure I could remove these characters from the game entirely and the plot would hardly have any change. The game, alas, saw to that though. Even important characters like Barthandelus, Rosch, Raines and Serah are treated wrongly. It's as if the main characters only exist and that's pretty much it.

tl;dr - This game had so much potential for most of it's NPCs and I saw it as I advanced in the game, but Square Enix just put them aside and focused mainly on the playable characters which, in turn, I find a bit wrong.

IMMA FIRIN MAH MEGAFLARE LAZER.

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round
  • Simply myself, no more and no less.
  • Mood: Relieved Relieved

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 07:04:15 AM »
You make me want to write a fanfic reinventing FF13's story to implement what you just ranted, which makes so much sense to me.

SwordStealer is my twin from across the country! ;D

sentry88

• Hedge Knight
  • ff13-2!!!!
  • Mood: Busy Busy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 11:02:44 AM »
hmmm I do love it but an odd town and the ability to go back to prieviously visited places like cocoon woulda been muchly appriciated  ;D ;D ;D

I goin burn your house down..... with the lemons~Cave Johnson

chaosblade02

• Moppet

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2011, 12:23:17 PM »
First of all there is a whole lot for me to knit pick about this game.  So much in fact, it wouldn't have been anything like this if I had my way.

Storyline, convoluted up to near the very end, the only game this generation with a storyline more convoluted was Resonance of Fate.

I know SE tries to do a completely different battle system with every new FF game, which is fine, but I didn't like this one.  What I would have done to make it better is put in more player input, like if I wanted my synergist AI to cast shell before protect, or brave before faith, etc.  Basically a simple menu with all the spells, so it would let me go in and X out the ones I didn't want to use, same would go for my Ravager, if I only wanted them to use physical skills and not use magics, or if I wanted them to use -aga spells.  And also put in a priority order of the spells you want them to cast, instead of leaving them on auto and wait until they give you the ones you want.  Sure you could manually control them, but then the combat AI character goes off and does something you don't want.  Basically its auto battle, and the only thing you control is them switching their classes at certain times.

FFXII had auto battle too, but at least they did it right and gave plenty of player input via gambits. 

Also the game was too linear, no towns to explore, actually no exploration period until chapter 11.

FFXII also had plenty to explore, and a multitude of sidequests at all points in the game. 

Seems like everything FFXII did right, they abandoned in XIII.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 12:25:07 PM by chaosblade02 »