Author Topic: Help with the Vercingetorix battle?  (Read 2538 times)

Celes

• Moppet
  • "I'm a soldier, not some love-starved twit."

• View Profile
Help with the Vercingetorix battle?
« on: April 20, 2011, 01:51:22 AM »
Hi guys! I came here to ask you guys for any tips for the Vercingetorix battle. Nothing seems to be working for me, I only manage to get his health down by a tiny amount before he annihilates me with Wicked Whorl. I have a team of Light, Fang and Vanille and they are have all mastered their main Crystarium jobs.

I really don't know if it's my Paradigms, my strategy/party setup or I'm just underleveled for this fight but I've been fighting this guy for two days and I always die at the same point. My paradigms by the way are as follows:

[ Light, Fang, Vanille]
COM - COM - MED
RAV - RAV - RAV
SEN - SEN - SEN
MED - SEN - SAB
SYN - SYN - MED
MED - SEN - MED

Thanks in advance!

DragonSLAYER45

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
Re: Help with the Vercingetorix battle?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 02:13:32 AM »
You're paradigms look fine to me, but I would recommend changing your fourth paradigm to a complete team of Saboteurs. It's completely imperative that you have Poison on the boss. It drops his HP at an extremely fast pace. Recast it after every time he puts up his Impenetrable Aura, as well as dispel any buffs that he casted on himself while he had the Barrier up.

Go into the battle with Fortisol and Aegisol (buy some from the Eden Pharmaceuticals if you don't have any) to get a head start on the battle. The boss likes using Wind attacks, so equip some Gale Rings on your party leader and the other two members to decrease the damage. Wing Shear may not seem so threatening at first, but as the battle progresses, it can become his most dangerous and deadliest attack.

Immediately cast the debuffs (again, Poison as the main priority. You can leave the other debuffs to Fang and Vanille) on him and wither down his HP. You will be doing this for the next few rounds until you wither away at least 5,000,000 of his HP.

After he grows wings, he'll start using Putrescence, which'll dispel some of your buffs and deal some heavy damage in the process. Don't worry about buffing back up while he's attacking, you can do that while he has his Barrier up. I've noticed that after every time his barrier falls, he uses Wicked Whirl after the first two attacks. So you may want to switch to your Tortoise Paradigm every time he puts in down to be safe. (He'll start using it at least two times a round once he's almost dead, the second time is almost unpredictable AFAIK)

Don't forget to switch to your SAB - SAB - SAB paradigm for the Poison. After that, switch to your COM - COM - MED paradigm and attack him. Switch to the MED - SEN - MED paradigm when you need the extra healing.

It's still very difficult to survive even with the correct strategy, and you're guaranteed to have to try a few times before you finally beaten him. Good luck and I hope I didn't forget anything!

Ergunno

• Moppet
  • Love Games, Love Anime

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 08:21:25 AM »
Well, unlike what DragonSlayer said, the only important thing imo is to keep putting poison on him. I just used Vanille/Fang/Lightning equiped with the worst weapons they can get for a higher target time and then just equip yourself with Royal Armlets and stuff for damage reduction because this thing will wreck you otherwise.
Paradigms:
Sab/Sab/Sab to get Poison on him.
Med/Sen/Med as he attacks and his life gets drained.
Rinse and repeat really, as soon his poison wears off, put it on him and go back to Med/Sen/Med to absorb hits and heal up. Of course, Dispel is important but if you go into Saboteur, the AI of your teammates make them go for Dispel first so you should focus on poisoning him.
Med/Med/Med and Sen/Sen/Sen are also paradigms you should consider as it works pretty well.
You don't need to use anything but poison and for the rest heal yourself up though it will take a bit longer. It's the safest and easiest method and if you keep poison on him with the said equipment (Tier 1 lvl 1 weapons) and damage reducing accesories, then you have yourself a guaranteed 5 star.

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 08:23:49 AM »
The trick in this battle is indeed to cast poison on vercingetorix. In the first half of the battle you can try dealing some additional damage, but near the end you'll probably just poison him and stay on the defence.

(Fang) (Lightning) (Vanille)
DEF DEF DEF Master defence. Use this when your expecting to get hit by a damage dealing blow (Wicked Whirl)
ENH ENH ENH Getting up your buffs, only use this paragam when he put up his shield and when you are fully healed. You can't hurt him or de-buff him, so you're just using the given time to buff yourself. Note that buffing yourself isn't a priority.
JAM JAM JAM Use this the moment he gets out of his shield. The goal here is to poison him, if you're forced to heal before he's poisoned you might want to give it another go. You'll probably have to cast poison manually (Lightning, vanille) as in the normal go of the AI poison isn't a top priority.
DEF BLA/ATK HLR Balanced out to protect yourself yet still do some extra damage. Attacking paragam for the final stages of the fight.
ATK BLA HLR Attacking paragam for the early stages of the fight. If your confident enough you can change the Healer into a Blaster for more damage. But while it helps out during the beginning it will probably be better to have a healer during the mid stages.
HLR HLR HLR Quick healing, enough said :D

HLR => Healer (Medic)
DEF => Defender (Sentinel)
ENH => Enhancer (Synergist)
JAM => Jammer (Saboteur)
BLA => Blaster (Ravager)
ATK => Attacker (Commando)

Celes

• Moppet
  • "I'm a soldier, not some love-starved twit."

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 12:40:16 AM »
Thanks to all three of you! I don't think I had poison on Vercingetorix so that may be my main mistake. :D I'll go and try it again. Also, one more question: I've been doing some leveling on the Archylte Steppe and somehow all of the Adamantoise's are gone. Well, I wouldn't say gone, but they've been replaced with monsters called Long Gui's. Now, I tried fighting one of these things yet failed horribly in the first five seconds due to Ultima.

Any reason why there are no Adamanotise's and where can I find the Adamantoise's on the Steppe?

Ally

• Newsletter
  • Brave Companion
  • Believe
  • Mood: Exhausted Exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 12:46:16 AM »
All of the Adamantoise's except one are replaced with Long Gui's after completing all of the missions in the Cie'th Stone Circle on the Steppe. Not only that, but all of the Adamanchelid's are replaced by Shaolong Gui as well. You'll have to hunt around to find that one Adamantoise.

There's also one in Eden and you've also got the Adamantortoise mission (63) that gives the same amount of CP as the Adamantoise's, but they are much easier to kill. The downside to both is that they might require some amount of backtracking.

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 04:24:50 PM »
Backtracking to eden probably takes about 10 minutes, but from there you've got an adamantoise 5 steps away from a save point. You couldn't wish for a better place to farm those beasts.

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Necessity is the oasis of true strength
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 06:02:08 PM »
It's where I farmed my money for the Treasure Hunter trophy.

As for Vercingetorix, the most important fact to remember is that the Tortoise (SEN-SEN-SEN) is essential. Sentinels naturally increase their own defence by a lot and the other party members' by a little. The stacking of three sentinels allows you to survive pretty much anything. Beyond maintaining buffs and debuffs, just be sure to heal using MED-MED-MED or MED-SEN-MED and damage with Relentless Assault (COM-COM-RAV).

When the darkness of the Abyss threatens the world, the Phoenix will rise amidst a whirlwind of fire and light.

Whisperer: Sometimes there is a very good reason to fear the dark.