Author Topic: A Reminiscence of FINAL FANTASY - Nobuo Uematsu  (Read 2191 times)

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
A Reminiscence of FINAL FANTASY - Nobuo Uematsu
« on: October 09, 2010, 04:32:06 PM »
Well I recently received my copies of the FFXIV Battle tracks & field tracks and upon closer looking I found an interesting review in both booklets. Just thought of sharing it with the rest of us ;D

A Reminiscence of FINAL FANTASY - Part 1 Nobuo Uematsu

When the first FINAL FANTASY was being developed in 1987, who could have predicted that it would become the hit series it is today, now into its fourteenth instalment? Our development team at the time had close to zero experience, but what we did have was a group of stubborn twenty-something with a never-back-down attitude towards making games. Some members on the team where still enrolled in college. It never helps to have so many hard-headed people on a creative project, so you can imagine how much worse things where when we were all so young and naive. Now everyone is in there forties, we've mellowed out a bit, but back then it didn't take much to set us off. There were screaming matches, finger-pointing, name-calling, and conflicts that went along the lines of:

"You're asking' for it! Basement parking lot! Now!" "Right behind you!"
Our first FINAL FANTASY baby was raised in an environment as far removed from "mature" as you can get.

in 2008, twenty years after FINAL FANTASY was unleashed on the world, we held a small celebration with the original members of the team to commemorate the coming-of-age of our creation. Everything started out all friendly and jovial, until the drinking took its toll and we began discussing game development. Naturally the discussion became heated and erupted into arguments. We where yelling at each other in the middle of the bar.

"You've got it all wrong!" "How stupid can you be? That's why you'll never understand!"
Some things never change, no matter how old we get.

Setting aside the inevitability of arguments, I think creative people need that kind of passion, and I prefer those who don't try to hide it. Call me old-fashioned.

For all the young people reading this: live your life with passion. Forget about trying to look cool. That's for poseurs.

A Reminiscence of FINAL FANTASY - Part 2 Nobuo Uematsu

Have you ever felt the sense of accomplishment that comes with completing a project? The FINAL FANTASY games haven't always been made by members that get along with each other. There might be people you can't stand, or people that don't share your views or aesthetic sense (although conflict between people of different opinions can often serve as the catalyst that brings about a positive shift in direction). During development, the disagreements are constant.
"Mr. Uematsu, I don't know what to do! I've had enough of this project!"
I can't remember the number of times people approached me like that while I was working at Square Enix.
But that's the job. If you've had enough, can't stand it, can't keep up the pace, the only thing left to do is quit. It's not the same as your club activities back in school. If you don't want to quit, then you've just got to tough it out until the end, through all the tears and frustration. And then the game somehow gets done. You bring it to completion. And there is no feeling quite like that sense of accomplishment.
There is a tradition for the FINAL FANTASY series (I don't know if it still happens) where all the team members get together on the night the game is complete, and watch as a selected member plays from the last dungeon, on to the last boss, and through to the ending. Everyone with beer in hand, of course. Once the ending credits roll, the sound of cans being opened is joined by thunderous applause.

In that emotion-filled moment, you think, "Wow, we've been through some crazy times, but somehow we made it through again." That thought gives you the confidence to face the next project. and transforms those you argued with into comrades-in-arms. That moment is priceless.

I still remember when, during the launch party for FINAL FANTASY VI, the notoriously unforgiving Mr. Sakaguchi gave a speech.
"Thanks to every one of you, we have created the best game in the world! No! The universe! Thank you!"
I cried. There where tears on my face. Those tears made me realize just how much I had invested myself in the project.
I hope that the FINAL FANTASY games forever continue to be a source of joy not only for the fans, but for the developers as well!

MegaFun

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Mood: Energetic Energetic

• View Profile
Re: A Reminiscence of FINAL FANTASY - Nobuo Uematsu
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 06:47:24 PM »
This was very interesting to read. :) Nice to see things from a developer's point of view!