Author Topic: Power Strategy Guide  (Read 3427 times)

FF12GrandMaster

Power Strategy Guide
« on: December 08, 2009, 02:18:30 PM »
This is to let you know that I have written up a Power Strategy Guide for the Last Remnant and it is hosted here at FFtogether. Although it's not an in depth walkthrough it does tell you what to do concerning getting very powerful unions. It also takes you through each of my major battles giving you my BR at the stage I fought them and each battle has been recorded on video, uploaded to Youtube and the link to it is given in the guide.

Hopefully this guide can help those of you that want to do a real Power Playthrough. Feel free to ask any questions. :)

Power Strategy Guide

pprincess

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Smart Smart

• View Profile
Re: Power Strategy Guide
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 06:40:14 PM »
I have played Last Remnant 4 times, starting when the game was new and there was no guide of any sort available, not even the Brady Guide. This is the best guide I've seen bar none. It is a no-fail walkthrough for anyone who wants either a power game, or is just confused about what to do. You can't go wrong with this guide. Beating the game using this guide once will really teach you how the game works, so any subsequent playthroughs you can experiment with generic or weaker leaders to add additional challenge.

I believe this guide will make Last Remnant more accessible to younger players by taking out a lot of the trial and error that gets people frustrated and wanting to quit.

Really well done, FF12GM!!

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 06:42:25 PM by pprincess »

FFZell

• Brave Companion
  • Vos plus mihi par fatum
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 11:30:08 AM »
I restarted the game using this guide, but I am kinda confused...you don't want to raise your BR? How are you going to level if you only fight the unavoidable battles?  IDK, I am just confused

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Nostrum verus vita est ut nos es in nostrum somnium suscitatio - Henry David Thoreau

FF12GrandMaster

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 03:35:59 PM »
The BR isn't representing your strength but the level of the critters you face so it's better that you have a low BR whilst gaining lots of stat upgrades after each battle. As you'll see in the guide (and vid) I won the Nest of Eagles battle at BR7. Now you only have to look in the GameFAQs forum and you'll see posts from people who can't beat it at BR57. Well, of course they can't because they haven't beefed their unions up so that they are a match with the monsters out there.

The biggest mistake people make early on in the game is to link and fight everything that moves. The stats you get apply to the battle but any changes to your BR come from the enemies. What this means is that you'll get around the same amount of stats from one enemy as you'll get from six but your BR takes six times as much damage than it would from just one. This is very basic what I am saying and not entirely accurate but it's close enough for you to get the idea of what is happening.

Now you don't have to grind continuously to beat the game. What this guide does is make you strong enough that you can defeat everything in the game (and so get the achievement points you want) without struggling. When you do the first grind at Blackdale and you see the stats that you get from just one battle against two little dicky birds you'll see why you shouldn't be fighting weak monsters that give you few or even no stat upgrades.

When you start a battle look at what the first option is. Is it 'Act Wisely' or 'Don't be Afraid to Die'..... or is it 'Clean them up Quickly' ? If it's any of the first two then that's ok, you are fighting enemies that are as strong as you or even stronger and you'll get good stat upgrades in comparison to how your BR increases. If it's the third option then you are fighting enemies that are too weak and you'll get few or no stat upgrades but your BR will increase. It's ok having some fights against weaker enemies if you need a certain drop from them, just don't fight them for the sake of it.

I hope this clears things up a little for you. :)

pprincess

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Smart Smart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 04:05:31 PM »
yeah basically the Battle Rank is just a way that the game matches you with the level of the enemies. Unfortunately fighting lots of weaker monsters just raises your rank without giving your people more stats. You really want to level your stats and skills, not the level of the monsters!

This concept is also carried over in FFXIII by the way. In that game, the more easily you defeat the monsters and the higher your speed and other scores at the end of each battle, the harder the monsters are going to get.

Basically what Square is trying to do is reduce the need to "grind." They are trying to change this old method in video games. Though many RPG-ers, especially in Japan, view grinding as part of their gaming experience, the vast majority of the casual audience who pick up an RPG never finish the game. Think of all the FF12 forums you've read where people said things like "I quit this, should I pick it up or start over?." Square is trying to make RPGs more friendly to casual audiences who don't want to repeat fighting monsters, going through the same dungeons again and again before they can move on. There is really only 1 battle in The Last Remnant that you may need to prepare for, but other than that, you should be able to just work on guild tasks and quests a bit, and yet still beat the game.

Best way to do that is to avoid fighting the little things all the time like the spiders. You'll do that naturally as the game goes on because it's annoying to start up a whole battle just to take out a couple spiders.

FFZell

• Brave Companion
  • Vos plus mihi par fatum
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 08:16:07 PM »
Thanks for the advice and knowledge, I understand it better now! It kinda reminds me of FFVIII, where the monsters level up the same time you do. I am at Dillmoor the first time now, avoiding all the critters and getting treasure chests.  It gets annoying resetting every time something starts a battle up, but I do want to become stronger, so I am following the guide.

So, should I do sidequests and just avoid monsters that way I don't level them up?  And should I buy better equipment?  I bought Rush a shield the first time I was in Athlum, but I am conserving my money for buying the much needed herbs.  One last question, if a union dies, how do I revive them?  What is this game's equivalent to a pheonix down?

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Nostrum verus vita est ut nos es in nostrum somnium suscitatio - Henry David Thoreau

FF12GrandMaster

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 10:59:18 PM »
Thanks for the advice and knowledge, I understand it better now! It kinda reminds me of FFVIII, where the monsters level up the same time you do.

You've got that right. As you get tougher so do the monsters. There are some that are still pretty weak though and you're going to exploit that later on ;)

So, should I do sidequests and just avoid monsters that way I don't level them up?

There is scope to do all the sidequests on the first disc but the ones that involve fighting should be left until after you have done the disc 1 stat grind at Blackdale. The exceptions to that could be that you might want to do both of the Baron's quests in Celapaleis pub upstairs. Once you have done both of them another Guild opens up in Celapaleis behind the pub and you can get more guild tasks.

And should I buy better equipment?  I bought Rush a shield the first time I was in Athlum, but I am conserving my money for buying the much needed herbs.

Yes, definitely upgrade your equipment wherever possible whether it be by purchasing or creating in a workshop. As far as money is concerned I have given you details of a great way to earn cash and that begins as soon as you reach Elysion, fairly early. Refer to the guide for full details on that. Believe me, it will make life so much easier and you'll have access to plenty of cash as you need it. :)

One last question, if a union dies, how do I revive them?  What is this game's equivalent to a pheonix down?

The equivalent of a Phoenix Down in this game is the Vivification Herb or the Vivification Tincture. You won't have access to these straight away because your characters that have the Herb items skills will have to learn them first. The more you use Restorative Herbs the sooner you will learn Vivifications herbs. Unfortunately, as you are avoiding battles, it will take a while to learn them. Once you have completed the story to the point after the Catacombs (almost straight after Elysion) you will be able to hire the soldier, Neales, who comes with Vivification herb already learned. When you have done the events in Numor Mine (right after Catacombs) Deacon will also be available for hire and he also has Vivification herbs learned. Until that point you aren't going to be doing a lot of battling where you'll need to revive characters. That will begin with the grind at Blackdale by which time you can hire soldiers with Vivification herbs.

One other thing is, as your characters that have Remedies progress they will eventually learn Kiss of Life and Second Chance. Kiss of Life is like Arise but it can be used to revive more than one character, the whole union even, and Second Chance does the same but it can also be used to heal HP and all status effects including the dreaded Curse.

Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. Both PP and I will be around most days and we'll keep a look out for you. :)

silvercross

• Moppet
  • Come on! lets kick some A!
  • Mood: Content Content

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 11:35:27 AM »
i just want to say that who ever reads this guide this guy FF12GrandMaster is the man the guide is great who ever plays TLR this guide is a must read. very very good stuff in it.