Author Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles, some thoughts about this game.  (Read 1601 times)

chaosblade02

• Moppet

• View Profile
Xenoblade Chronicles, some thoughts about this game.
« on: September 17, 2011, 08:52:35 PM »
Some positive, some negative.

Pros are obviously the story, the characters have personality, which is very important in any RPG and should be the foundation of a great RPG, and it has that.

The flaws I see make what could have been a great RPG, just a mediocre one in my opinion.  And some people might see my cons as pros. 

The cons are the implementation of the side quests, and NPC affinity in the towns.  They more or less overcomplicated this and most of the quests are just random fetch/kill quests with no real substance or meaning, or reward for that matter.  Very few to none of the quests in this game add anything extra to the story, or anything important to its content, making someone like me see them as a waste of time.  They could have included few but meaningful side quests into the game that sent you to a side dungeon or something, like some of the old school RPGs used to handle most of their side quests. 

Between the random fetch/kill quests, and the battle system, the game screams MMORPG. 

I liked the building of Colony 6 aspect to the game, and it would have been one of the few side quests I left in the game.  The only real important side quests are the ones that give you extra skill trees, and to even qualify for most of those, you have to do a bunch of random fetch/kill quests and really dull and meaningless side quests to even qualify to get the quests for the more meaningful stuff. 

Over 400 quests in this game, and you can easily get side tracked from what is actually a good story and be distracted by a bunch of meaningless side quests that just do nothing but take away from the game.

If you see my negatives as a positive, then you would really enjoy this game, and would suggest grabbing a copy of the EU version.  The English voice actors are pretty horrible, but unless you understand Japanese, you will have no idea what they are saying, and I would rather at least know what they are talking about.

I beat the game already and I did very few side quests, and it took me around 38 hours.  I just wish they made the side content more fun to participate in, when I see a ! point on my screen and I talk to the person just to find a random kill quest of some weak enemies I have already killed a bunch of I am so not interested and would rather pursue the story line. 

I would compare the side content to a piece of meat that has a whole lot of fat around the edges and you need to trim all the fat away to get to the small tasty portion of it.  Whereas they used to give you a lean, tasty piece of meat on the plate in a game like Chrono Trigger. 

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 09:03:57 PM by chaosblade02 »

jake1456

• Paragon of Justice
  • Mood: Hungry Hungry

• View Profile
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles, some thoughts about this game.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 09:31:13 PM »
i liked those parts of it reminds me of WoW tho i am not that far

insanity isn't gained you are born with it

chaosblade02

• Moppet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 09:42:55 PM »
If you like MMORPGs and WoW you will love Xenoblade Chronicles. 

jake1456

• Paragon of Justice
  • Mood: Hungry Hungry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 09:57:30 PM »
i am  ;D haven't played it much since i have bought other games i still haven't started or finished yet

insanity isn't gained you are born with it