Poll

Why do you think certain topics or boards are failing?

A general lack of enthusiasm.
6 (18.8%)
Too many rules attached to what can and cannot be discussed.
2 (6.3%)
The structure of the boards themselves causing unnecessary restrictions.
3 (9.4%)
A split of the community's focus between the three major gaming companies.
4 (12.5%)
It's not a problem with the forum, I simply have a life.
5 (15.6%)
It's not a problem with the forum, I just have nothing to discuss.
6 (18.8%)
(Creative) No-one is commenting on the stories I place there.
3 (9.4%)
(Creative) A lot of the RPs have died. That's getting boring. We need new rules.
3 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: December 19, 2011, 12:39:29 AM

Author Topic: A Question for the Forum as a whole...  (Read 5064 times)

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Necessity is the oasis of true strength
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
A Question for the Forum as a whole...
« on: December 05, 2011, 12:39:29 AM »
I know this isn't really a suggestion but bare with me...

I've notice a considerable drop in the activity of the forum since the summer months; not a trend I was expecting due to the shorter days and considerably more time spent inside (at least for us in the north). I think it's a good idea to get to the root of this problem. I don't have the time right now (due to school) to take my time over this poll and really consider the options but anyone is more than welcome to take these ideas and fine tune them to more accurately measure what has gone wrong.

While the Sandsea and the Gold Saucer are thriving along with all the forum games, the Creative section and entire Gaming board are both in severe decline. Choose the reasons you believe for this to be the case. Since there is likely more than one reason I have given the option to vote for everything. I have blocked the current votes from being seen until you've voted so you aren't swayed in your choices.

I love this community and all of it's people and I want to help it to thrive.

When the darkness of the Abyss threatens the world, the Phoenix will rise amidst a whirlwind of fire and light.

Whisperer: Sometimes there is a very good reason to fear the dark.

YiazmatSlayer

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
Re: A Question for the Forum as a whole...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 12:52:58 AM »
The way I see it, none of the reasons you've posted in this poll are the cause of less activity. In the summer months, people get holidays for long periods of time, allowing the time for more activity. On countless occasions have members returned from being swamped by school/college/university work, stating that they've just not had the time.

There are certainly no problems with the rules regarding any part of the forum either, they are there to make it a friendly environment to come to.

People are just busy, that's the only reason behind the inactivity.

There's a difference between playing a card, and using a card. - Zane Truesdale

Shadow Gilgamesh

• Order of Ambrosia
  • All your weapons are belong to me!
  • Mood: Lazy Lazy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 12:59:33 AM »
I voted for a few things, but for the gaming board, i think our biggest problem is that we're just relitively tiny, so unless it's a well known title by nintendo/square there as usually been less than a page of discussion.

which is kind of covered by the "i have nothing to say" option, but it's also a bit of "won't think anyone else will be interested"

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 01:03:14 AM »
The way I see it, none of the reasons you've posted in this poll are the cause of less activity. In the summer months, people get holidays for long periods of time, allowing the time for more activity. On countless occasions have members returned from being swamped by school/college/university work, stating that they've just not had the time.

There are certainly no problems with the rules regarding any part of the forum either, they are there to make it a friendly environment to come to.

People are just busy, that's the only reason behind the inactivity.

That may be true. However, you are missing the point of this thread; how can we fix the inactivity? We need solutions, not a defender of the current paradigm.

I voted for a few things, but for the gaming board, i think our biggest problem is that we're just relitively tiny, so unless it's a well known title by nintendo/square there as usually been less than a page of discussion.

which is kind of covered by the "i have nothing to say" option, but it's also a bit of "won't think anyone else will be interested"

That is potentially a large part of the problem.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 01:04:47 AM by Ultima »
When the darkness of the Abyss threatens the world, the Phoenix will rise amidst a whirlwind of fire and light.

YiazmatSlayer

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 01:05:19 AM »
Short of dragging members to their computers in person, and sitting them down...we can't.

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 01:09:19 AM »
Short of dragging members to their computers in person, and sitting them down...we can't.

What about the matter of the gaming chatter in the Sandsea? You were one of the advocates for moving it elsewhere (as was I) yet I have not seen anything like it reappear in other boards. That could be a starting point since there was enough gaming talk in the Sandsea for easily two large threads.

angel

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Mood: Calm Calm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 01:11:50 AM »
I agree , I think the fear of getting  no enthusiasm puts people off .

I am guilty on so many levels of reading things with interest and then not commenting, foxy's pics for example , she stopped posting due to lack of interest , yet I have looked at all your pics and foxy's site/page thing and never made any comments.

There is no such thing as a bad elf ...

YiazmatSlayer

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 01:15:25 AM »
That was about one particular game, and the thread for that was quite successful, was it not?

And if you remember, the gaming chat was moved from the sandsea because of a conflict in interest, rather than a lack of discussion about the games themselves.

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 01:18:46 AM »
That was about one particular game, and the thread for that was quite successful, was it not?

One game was prominently discussed but it was not the sole game by any stretch of the imagination.

And if you remember, the gaming chat was moved from the sandsea because of a conflict in interest, rather than a lack of discussion about the games themselves.

That may have been your reason. Mine most definitely was the activity of the gaming board.

YiazmatSlayer

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 01:21:53 AM »
Yes it was, that entire beginning of moving gaming talk from the sandsea to relevant topics, happened because you didn't like my opinion on Skyrim, if you remember.

And the Skyrim topic was pretty successful.

But we're straying from the point. As I said, people are just busy outside in their personal lives, and there's nothing we can do about that.

KainCrow

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Kain the Crow of Crow Valley!
  • Mood: Embarrassed Embarrassed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 04:28:25 AM »
I mainly has too less time to stay and type anything. I generally read through some threads, but I don't have much to comment as well.. I don't even have enough time to get properly stressed and relieve them. Geez. *kainey grumbles and sips madstuff moodily*

And even if I wanna do something, lack of enthusiasm/reply or activity is kinda discouraging. It's like, acting hyper when all others just watch me without answering or anything... *sigh* Too less activities overall, forcing even wannabe active people to get discouraged.

Kain the Crow of the Crow Valley, Mischievous and Unpredictable D.S.
By the way, who know the relationship b/w a fox and a crow?

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round
  • Simply myself, no more and no less.
  • Mood: Relieved Relieved

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 06:22:38 AM »
I think that the biggest issue is that people don't have much to discuss in certain forums. We're a very close-knit community here, but out of everyone here, I might be the only one actively replaying Final Fantasy VIII, for instance. It's a bit tough to talk with myself about my playthrough with nobody to reply to. That's why the general gaming update thread works nicely, since it encompasses all games into one thread.

The only time most people are playing the same game at the same time are for new releases.

SwordStealer is my twin from across the country! ;D

KainCrow

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Kain the Crow of Crow Valley!
  • Mood: Embarrassed Embarrassed

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 03:27:54 PM »
That's.. Too true... <-for one, Kainey plays a lot of flash games due to very bad internet connection, giving up most online games. PS games are still out of her league due to the fact that she is still living with her parents... ...They won't let Kainey buy something when she 'supposedly' have to study hard in Uni. Bah.

Kain the Crow of the Crow Valley, Mischievous and Unpredictable D.S.
By the way, who know the relationship b/w a fox and a crow?

Zodiac Killer 99

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Mood: Happy Happy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 06:26:53 PM »
The only real solution I can see to it would be expanding the memberbase, but I don't think that's a necessary or much desired action; plus there's the problem of if we were to, where on earth we would start

Chaos

• Global Moderator
  • Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 07:50:54 PM »
I see two problems:

1. No new members. When was the last time we got a new active member? We get one every few months, but that's not nearly enough.

2. The regulars that still visit are too busy to post or join a discussion.

Regarding gaming talk, after FFXII everyone has chosen a different path, so it's not really easy to find people who play the same game. My question is: Why did hundreds of people come here after FFXII came out? Can we not repeat that when a new big FF title releases (like XIII-2)?

"Most people think time is like a river that flows swift and sure in one direction, but I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you - they are wrong." ~ Prince of Persia