Author Topic: PS3 shuts down during gameplay and possible YLOD  (Read 5529 times)

MegaFun

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Mood: Energetic Energetic

• View Profile
PS3 shuts down during gameplay and possible YLOD
« on: April 15, 2012, 04:37:45 PM »
I know there's already a YLOD topic but I don't want to necro a two-year old topic XD

So recently while I was playing Skyrim, my PS3 has been shutting down abruptly after an extended period (2-3+ hours) of gameplay with three beeps and blinking red lights. I can turn it off by pressing the power button which brings it to the normal standby red light. It was okay until yesterday, where it started to shut down 5 minutes after I load the game. This time there are three beeps, the light goes yellow once and then blinks red. I disconnected the PS3, plugged everything out, cleaned the area, vacuumed it from the outside and let it sit for 18 hours but the same thing still happened. I thought it was a Skyrim problem so I tried FF13, but that also shut down, albeit after 50 minutes and with no yellow light. This hadn't happened before I started playing Skyrim three weeks ago, and even so it only started happening this week (although Easter break just started so it's possible that I might just be overstraining my PS3).

It's a 3-year old non-backward compatible 80 GB fat model. It sits in a well-ventilated area but sometimes I don't play it and it sits there for months on end so it's possible that it's a buildup of dust, but apparently a yellow light could be a motherboard or power supply problem. Furthermore my PS3 isn't actually bricked, I can still turn it on and play something but it shuts down randomly and I don't want to risk actually bricking it. Does anyone have any idea what could be happening and any tips on what I could do. Thanks in advance! :)

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 04:41:23 PM by MegaFun »

Sixty

• Order of Ambrosia
  • "To your own self be true. All rests upon you."
  • Mood: Exhausted Exhausted

• View Profile
Re: PS3 shuts down during gameplay and possible YLOD
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 05:06:25 PM »
You could call the Sony/Playstation help desk. maybe they can help you further.

For Honor The strongest of all warriors are these two: Time and Patience.

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Necessity is the oasis of true strength
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 05:06:56 PM »
Check your remaining hard drive space. Low remaining space is one of the main causes.

When the darkness of the Abyss threatens the world, the Phoenix will rise amidst a whirlwind of fire and light.

Whisperer: Sometimes there is a very good reason to fear the dark.

MegaFun

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 08:27:10 AM »
Well I backed it up today just in case and I think I have about 16 GB left...

Sixty, I heard they would just tell you to send it in... I don't want to resort to that now :P

UPDATE: Today it shut down on the XMB (I was about to sync trophies). Yellow light present. I'm convinced there's a hardware failure somewhere. Going to backup all my trophies before I do anything else with it.

Also when it happened the power button seemed to randomly stop working. I couldn't stop the blinking red light so I used the master switch at the back. When I turned it back on the power button wouldn't work either, and neither did the controller, so I had to turn it on by attempting to put a disc inside.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 08:29:55 AM by MegaFun »

Sixty

• Order of Ambrosia
  • "To your own self be true. All rests upon you."
  • Mood: Exhausted Exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 09:45:04 AM »
Yeah your PS3 is dying. That's a shame. R.I.P.

For Honor The strongest of all warriors are these two: Time and Patience.

stuart

• Brave Companion
  • daddy loves you pumpkin
  • Mood: Happy Happy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 10:29:46 AM »
mine is dead managed to get the disc out but it needs to be buried six feet under as it just doesn't work one iota of what it is supposed to.

William Karl Pearse my little boy sucking his thumb!

MegaFun

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 02:38:47 PM »
Seems like it, but there is still hope! I don't want to have to replace it :P

stuart

• Brave Companion
  • daddy loves you pumpkin
  • Mood: Happy Happy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 03:03:45 PM »
I was tempted to send it back to sony but they said it would take 4-6 weeks which is something I wouldn't look forward to

William Karl Pearse my little boy sucking his thumb!

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 03:44:27 PM »
4-6 weeks gone for repair, or keeping a consol hooked onto the tv which doesn't work at all. I known which I would choice :P

BTW when I send mine for repair (read replacement), I got it back 3 weeks later. I only had a broken blu-ray player (common problem with the first & second generation PS3's) so I doubt they did much more than hook it up and see if the blu-ray player worked. It didn't work so I they send me a new one, which happend to be a third generation PS3 with the same specs ;D

MegaFun

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 05:18:46 PM »
The thing that put me off calling Sony is that apparently they'll send you a refurbished unit that doesn't last much longer than its 90-day warranty. Don't know maybe that only happens in the US :P but seeing as my PS3 isn't completely dead yet I'll probably give it a chance.

Otherwise I will consider getting a Slim, considering here it's the same price as the Vita lol.

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 09:03:14 AM »
My blu-ray broke like 5 months after I bought the console. After that I got a replacement console which I still use as of today, which is a good 3 years already.

The thing that put me off calling Sony is that apparently they'll send you a refurbished unit that doesn't last much longer than its 90-day warranty. Don't know maybe that only happens in the US :P but seeing as my PS3 isn't completely dead yet I'll probably give it a chance.
Doubt that's the case really. The only stories that make it to the internet are the failed stories, so I doubt it would be a real case to say they just send you an unit that doesn't last much longer than the warranty. Sure it happens sometimes, but think like this. If it happens within the warranty you wouldn't make a big scene. If it was 4 years after the warranty you wouldn't make a big scene, but if it happens just a week after the warranty its of course a big deal ;D

Just wish this consol war would stagger though. Back in the old days consols where still reliable as hell, just look at my Ps2 which still runs smoothly after 10 years ;D