Author Topic: FFXII: The Gigas Slayer  (Read 2336 times)

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Necessity is the oasis of true strength
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
FFXII: The Gigas Slayer
« on: December 04, 2011, 12:28:32 AM »
Well I promised you guys an FFXII story... School has been getting in the way (severely) so you'll have to make do with what I've written so far.

Final Fantasy XII: The Gigas Slayer

The great king brushed a hand through his flowing bronze beard. “What of the Ozmone Plain?” he asked the trio of elegantly dressed advisers assembled around him.

“It is being quickly overrun, your highness,” a particularly elderly man croaked, “Legions of fiends are forcing their way north from both Jahara and the Golmore Jungle. Our scouts report that Mateus heads the eastern force. The southern forces are being led by a fearsome creature whose identity is not yet known. Ultima’s intentions are unclear with respect to this second army.”

Raithwall fingered the glittering, two-handed blade in his right hand apparently absent-mindedly. Everyone present, however, could not begin to guess just how many thoughts were running through the Dynast King’s head at that moment. There was a reason that the Occuria had chosen him to lead the sentient races of Ivalice into a new age. This moment was one of the true trials set before him during his reign. “The deifacted nethicite?” he asked after a time, “Will it be ready?”

“The mages believe it will, your highness,” another of the advisers, a massive Seeq with a fiery snout and fearsome, red features, said, “But if you intend to use it to combat the invading forces... you do know we can only keep one side at bay with its magic?”

The great king whirled around, his purple velvet cloak billowing out behind him before he strode towards the throne room’s mahogany double doors. “Indeed!” he replied in his booming baritone, “That can be solved with the Treaty Blade in my grasp. I have always been wary of the nethicite’s power. It is far too great for any one man to wield. Now would be a good time to split the stone into three shards; two will defend against the invading armies while the third will be kept here, in the palace of Rabanastre, for protection.”

The three advisers, swarthy Bangaa, elderly Hume and bulky Seeq all stopped dead in their tracks. Her long snout twitching in anxiety and her beady, black eyes narrowing, the evergreen skinned Bangaa considered her next words carefully. “My lord... Do you believe it prudent to weaken such a deterrent of violence? Archadia and Rozzaria may consider it a pretext to launch their own offensives if they hear of out weakened magical defences.”

Raithwall laughed heartily, a cheerful sound that echoed pleasantly off the throne room’s sandstone walls. “A pretext to invade? To my knowledge they seek the stone for themselves and are already amassing their armed forces. But surely you knew that?” He turned and fixed each of them with a penetrating gaze, as though gauging loyalty and motive. Only the Seeq remained unmoved. “Come, there is much work to be done!”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hanar brushed the whetstone back and forth across his mythril sword. The instructions for his regiment’s next assignment had been ominously vague and the tension was palpable among the men. Skinny Liant was nervously shifting and rearranging his armour unnecessarily, while the burly Seeq Torno drummed his massive fingers so hard on the wooden table that they sounded like hammers amongst the silence.

Time continued to crawl by at a snail’s pace until a rhythmic drumming could be felt through the earth coming from the distance. “The army’s on the move,” Liant said unnecessarily.

“Alright, suit up,” Hanar called in his firm, melodious baritone, “We join up with the 501st heading south towards Jahara. From that moment we are to aid Lieutenant Mavlov in any and all necessary recon to ascertain the objectives of the enemy, understood? Yes Torno?”

“Is that all we have to go on?” he asked with a snort, “What about numbers, current location, weapons? If we end up in a skirmish as blind as we are now we’ll be slaughtered.”

“That’s all you have to go on,” Hanar said, looking three feet up at the Seeq so their eyes met, “So I suggest that you arm yourself soldier. That’s an order.” The Captain didn’t like disciplining his men and losing some of their confidence at the same time, but he couldn’t ignore such orders so close to the time of dispatch without risking the safety of the frontline.

I've gauged my plan for the short story and this is roughly one third. Maybe one quarter at a push.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:02:37 PM by Ultima »
When the darkness of the Abyss threatens the world, the Phoenix will rise amidst a whirlwind of fire and light.

Whisperer: Sometimes there is a very good reason to fear the dark.

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
Re: The Gigas Slayer
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 11:37:48 PM »
It was currently the rainy season in Giza. No clear path was discernable through the myriad of pools and swamps. There was barely enough room for four men to walk abreast without anyone falling into some kind of pond. The rains also presented the problem of the river blocking their route entirely. After the fiercest monsoons, many of the bridges were completely covered by water. It took several men carrying makeshift bridges to make any significant progress through this harsh land.

Hanar was marching in front of his battalion with the other officers. Progress was slow but consistent with very few monsters making daring attempts at attacking. It wasn’t until they’d been under the dark blue and grey sky for eight consecutive hours that a messenger was spotted racing towards them.

“Titantoise!” he was yelling at the top of his lungs, “An entire herd! To arms!”

The ring of steel as five hundred swords were drawn was intimidating, but even more so was the series of echoing howls and roars that sounded not far from the army’s frontline.

“Begin preparation for the Paling!” Mavlov shouted to the nearby sorcerers.

They each nodded before forming a small circle and beginning a complicated chant that provided an eerie background for the impending battle.

“Preparing a Paling for the entire army is going to take far too much time!” Hanar roared at the Lieutenant, “We need to take the offensive!”

“The Paling isn’t for the army, it’s for the officers!” the Lieutenant hissed.

“Treacherous, cowardly *Bleep*!” Hanar thought as he turned away and started a sprint towards the frontline. Damned if he was going to let his men fight out there, without any help from their so-called leaders. His first sight of the titantoise herd was more than startling. Gigantic beasts standing ten feet tall and twice as wide with sleek, elegant blue shells were pummelling the army with devastating physical blows off of their diamond hard shells and natural, aquatic magic. Moving his hand in a circular motion, he began conjuring a ball of powerful energy before launching into the sky above their foes to summon a rain of fireballs against these aquatic titans.

Several of the soldiers turned at the appearance of such powerful magic, all wearing expressions of deep gratitude. Titantoise shells were near impossible to penetrate without a full strength, uninterrupted blow or powerful, elemental magic. Torno and Liant ran to Hanar’s side as he stopped not far from the slowing wave of tortoises.

“You just couldn’t stay away from the action, huh boss?” Torno snorted with obvious pride.

Liant was busy casting a number of protective spells on nearby soldiers who were trying to take the monsters on their own like typical, bravado filled heroes. “This half-hearted defence is going to be overrun in no time,” he puffed, “We need a plan, and soon.”

“These herds are normally ruled by a more powerful titantoise,” Hanar said as he cast another Fira spell, “Isn’t the Gil Snapper a native of the Plains?”

“It could be...” Torno began before whirling around, “LOOK OUT!” he exhaled a powerful roar as he slammed both his hammers into the beast’s shell. The impact drove Torno backwards several feet until he finally stopped the Titantoise dead. Liant and Hanar immediately began conjuring their strongest fire spells while they yelled “NOW!” to prevent Torno from being caught in the crossfire. The beast cried in pain as the fire burned through its body and then it simply ceased to be.

The gap created by the titantoise’s reckless attack presented a unique view of the titantoise army’s leader. This particular beast was twice the size of its younger siblings with a sleek, sky blue shell that glinted in the half light created by the cloud cover.

Liant sprinted through, throwing fireball after fireball at the beast. They glanced off of the creature’s shell with little to no effect.

“The Gil Snapper has a different weakness!” Hanar yelled, racing after his comrade. He whirled his arm around in a wide arc and blasted an enormous sphere of energy into the heavens. A sound of thunder echoed across the sky as a bolt of lightning shot downwards and illuminated the titantoise in a sphere of raging electricity.

Taking advantage of the Gil Snapper being stunned, Torno through all his weight and strength behind a body blow so fierce that the beast flipped end over end before stopping on its back.

Liant and Hanar combined their magic for one last thunder attack. The blast raged through the beast’s body furiously and continuously until there was nothing left but charred remains. Stopping to observe the aftermath of their attack, they found the remainder of the titantoise forces scattering back into the undergrowth. It seemed that their army had, fortunately, sustained minimal losses through the battle.

“Liant, Torno, can you take care of organising the cleanup effort?” Hanar asked.

“Of course,” Liant replied, “Are you going to face the bureaucrats who decided to only save themselves?”

“Yes. In an hour’s time I may be demoted back to recruit,” snorted Hanar, “At least then I’ll be able to make a real difference in this god forsaken war.”

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:12:35 PM by Ultima »
When the darkness of the Abyss threatens the world, the Phoenix will rise amidst a whirlwind of fire and light.

rsslayersr

• Order of Ambrosia
  • The Cake is a Lie
  • Mood: Depressed Depressed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 12:04:07 AM »
I was actually scared of the huge bulk of text, but I got through to it easily. I'll probably dream about this tonight ;D

You might not know this, but Mytthal has a soft spot for cake. He likes to lurk around West and steal Apple Pie from the Cooking Guild.
An Apple a day keeps the Guildmaster away!

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 04:36:01 AM »
Hanar trudged towards the officers’ tent with a feeling of slight trepidation. He was hoping to be thrown on the front lines as a punishment but there was always the lingering chance of being charged with dereliction of duty. The punishment for such a crime was exile. Entering the tent, Hanar could see Lieutenant Mavlov and several higher ranking military officials, none of whom he recognised. The most striking figure in the room was a tall, broad-chested man with a flowing auburn beard wearing shining steel armour. He was fiddling with a beautifully crafted, broad bladed sword whose material could only be guessed at from the array of colours created by light refracting off of it.

It was Dynast King Raithwall.

“Sire, this is the officer I spoke of,” Mavlov almost spat as he spotted Hanar. Obviously his little stunt had rattled the Lieutenant’s cage.

The Dynast King strode purposefully towards Hanar and stopped a foot from him. His gaze was fierce and piercing though he didn’t appear angry. It was as though he was gauging Hanar’s character. “Soldier, you left your post during a battle.”

“I did sire,” Hanar replied, his voice wavering very slightly. He stood his ground though.

“Why?” Raithwall asked.

Hanar considered his words for a moment. “Sire, we are already ill-prepared for the coming battles. Any significant loss of troops against mere wild beasts I deemed unacceptable. My peers did not agree so I took matters into my own hands by joining the front lines.”

“I hear you located and killed the Titantoise leader within minutes?” the Dynast King continued.

“Yes sir. I grew up on the plains and am familiar with the wildlife present here.” Hanar said. He was unsure whether he was making a good or bad impression.

Raithwall turned and walked a few steps away. “Sergeant, I would be ignoring my own laws of if you are not punished for this. You are hereby stripped of your rank and posted to the front lines.”

“I understand sire,” Hanar sighed, trying to ignore Mavlov’s gleeful smile.

“And yet...” the king continued, “I find your instincts to be commendable, and there are many soldiers who participated in the battle that have not stopped toasting you and your squad’s bravery. They say the three of you saved many lives today.”

Smiling a little at this, Hanar said “I am glad my insubordination worked in the army’s favour.”

“That is why I am reassigning your squad to serve directly under me in the frontline assault on Ultima’s force,” Raithwall said finally, “I need the best to defend the nethicite, and from all accounts your squad are the best.”

Hanar’s mouth fell open. To serve under the Dynast King directly. Remembering his manners, he dropped to one knee as the other officers openly voiced complaints. They were all quickly quelled by Raithwall. “You honour me and my men sire. We will guard you and the nethicite with our lives.”

“Good,” the King said, “That is what is required of you. Inform your men and join my carriage. We march again in an hour.”

“Yes sir!” Hanar saluted and turned to walk out of the tent, suppressing a smirk at the fury drenching Mavlov’s face. “This is an interesting turn of events,” he thought to himself, “I’m curious how Liant and Torno will take the news.”

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 04:36:33 AM »
The following days had been a flurry of movement that Hanar paid little heed to. He was far too busy absorbing his new situation, new surroundings and the sheer dumb luck of how he reached this new position. The army had marched through the remainder of the Giza Plains and through much of the Ozmone Plain with little in the way of stiff resistance. Verdant green grasslands now stretched out as far as the eye could see. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky. Every time Hanar spotted a tree or granite rock sticking out of the ground he jumped slightly. Their surroundings were too quiet. It was definitely the calm before an impending storm.

“Oi, Hanar!” Torno grunted.

Hanar was immediately shaken from his reverie. Since his demotion, Liant and Torno had become far more approachable and laid back towards him. It was an interesting and oddly pleasant experience.

“Just wanted to thank you again for getting us this opportunity,” the Seeq smiled, “And to check you weren’t dying from all that thinking!”

Hanar chuckled. “I’m fine. Just wondering when we’re finally going to run into trouble.”

“I was wondering that too,” Liant chimed in, “If we travel much further we’ll reach Jahara. I sincerely doubt Ultima will have forces waiting there.”

The irony wasn’t lost on any of them when a horn call resounded throughout the plains. It was a call to arms. The enemy had been sighted at last.

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 04:37:33 AM »
Hanar stood on the front lines alongside Liant, Torno, King Raithwall and his battalion of personal bodyguards; some of the finest fighters in the entirety of the known world. Preparation for this encounter had been necessarily brief. The impending enemy assault appeared to be a guerrilla task force rather than a full on attack. Raithwall had assembled his finest troops to swiftly deal with this threat, accumulating minimal losses along the way. Something didn’t feel right to Hanar though. Espers had lived for thousands of years. It was unlikely that Ultima would make such an amateur mistake.

The minutes ticked by. Eventually, the assembled enemy forces became distinct; an array of powerful monsters including the muscular Zaghnal, the uniquely powerful Entites, and the spiked carapaces of a herd of Mesmenir.

A moment later and the call rang out to charge. Hanar swept out his mythril sword and hurled an aero spell at a looming Zaghnal, blasting it backwards. Before it could recover Hanar moved in and finished it off with a vicious slash across its throat.

It appeared that the battle wouldn’t last long. The Zaghnal and Mesmenir were falling faster than they could rally, and the Entites were dissipating into nothingness after a flurry of powerful spells from a dozen different angles.

All of a sudden, the sky darkened. Humanoid and fiend alike cowered from the vicious wind that was conjured in the distance. Then, a fire raged through the battlefield eviscerating everything in its path. A malevolent flame that left nothing but scorched earth and rubble wherever it touched, friend and foe alike succumbed and were devoured by this mighty spell.

Hanar, standing fighting alongside Liant, Torno and Raithwall, felt the heat approaching, and foolishly attempted to shield himself from the onslaught. There was a flash of white light as the shard of nethicite that appeared in Raithwall’s hand conjured a mighty barrier that stopped the flames dead in their tracks. As the flames dissipated, so did the barrier. The Dynast King was beyond enraged at the loss of so many good men. “What monster could have so much power?”

“An Esper...” Hanar murmured in reply as Liant gasped something along the lines of ‘By the Occuria!’

The beast before them was titanic, standing at twice the height of the tallest man and many times the mass. Its skin was as red as the flames it had conjured, with four massive arms, two heads akin to those of a ram and an incredibly ornate weapon in one hand that resembled a cross between an axe and a spear.

A voice rang out across the charred battlefield. It was beautiful and feminine yet malice resounded from every syllable. “Meet the Gigas Belias Dynast King Raithwall.” To emphasise her point, the creature exuded an earth-shattering roar. “He will bring me the treaty blade and the Dawn Shard within your possession and end your irritating existence. Finally I, Ultima, will have everything I need to begin my vengeance on the Occuria. Goodbye Raithwall.”

One more ear-splitting roar summoned four fire elementals to Belias’ side and then the enemy charged. Raithwall’s treaty blade and the beast’s weapon collided and created a massive shockwave of energy capable of splitting the very planet in two. Hanar did not hesitate a moment longer. “Liant, Torno, take care of the elementals,” he shouted as he summoned the most powerful waterga spell of his life and hurled it at the taller of Belias’ two faces. The Esper roared in pain and was incapable of reacting when Hanar drove his sword deep into the monster’s torso.

Although injured, this did not slow the Esper down. It summoned another cascade of fire that had to be deflected by the Dynast King using the Dawn Shard once again. Raithwall then began his own assault, a mighty series of blows from the treaty blade that resounded throughout the land as he began to drive the beast back.

Hanar charged forward once more and used Belias’ delirium to retrieve his sword and stun it further with a swift water spell. He quickly turned around to check on Torno and Liant. They appeared to be okay with Liant’s knowledge of spells serving him well, and the natural resilience of the Seeqs allowing Torno to hold his own. Hanar returned to the fight with Belias a moment too late as the beast landed a punishing blow with one of its right fists that sent him careering into a nearby rock.

“Hanar!” Raithwall roared as he deflected more blows from the Esper, “Are you alright?!”

“Yeah!” he shouted back, getting to his feet. Liant and Torno were both beginning to tire. It was time for something drastic. He ran to Raithwall and seized the Dawn Shard much to the Dynast King’s surprise and indignation. Standing a safe distance from all three fights, he began drawing as much magical energy as he dared from the nethicite.

As the reserves of the artefact ran dry, Hanar began focusing the energy he had gathered into one mighty attack. Altering the energy into a form that was useful was proving to be the ultimate challenge. After what seemed like hours of concentrating, focusing and mind-numbing meditation Hanar had reduced all of his own magic and the energy of the nethicite to a single point of water energy. Feeling his concentration fading and his body losing consciousness, the energy exploded outwards in a cataclysmic torrent of water that engulfed the elementals, Liant, Torno, Raithwall, Belias and the fields for miles around.

The Dynast King was the first to regain his senses after such an attack and used the remainder of his energy to grab the treaty blade and, with one last mighty roar, embed the sword in Belias’ skull.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 01:35:09 PM by Ultima »

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 04:38:07 AM »
When Hanar finally regained consciousness, he found Liant and Torno sitting beside a camp fire in the same field where their epic conflict took place. His body ached and his mind could barely dredge up more than one thought at a time. Luckily, he was spared asking questions by Torno noticing he was awake.

“Hanar, thank the Occuria you’re awake!” he huffed in relief, “After the first twenty four hours we began to worry.”

Shaking himself slightly, Hanar finally said, “Twenty four hours? How long have I been unconscious?”

“Four days,” Liant replied, “You’ve been lucky. A spell like that could have killed you. Mind you, it could have killed us as well.”

“And King Raithwall?” Hanar asked.

“He rejoined the rest of the army to deliver the news of the conflict,” Torno grunted, “He asked me to give these to you.” Torno reached around behind him and picked up a piece of paper and the glittering treaty blade.

Hanar was astounded. As far as anyone knew the king had wielded this blade for his entire reign. “Why...” he began.

“Just read the paper,” Liant interrupted.

The Gigas Slayer,
By the time you awaken I will likely be far away. I want to thank you. It seems your recklessness has paid dividends once more. When the Esper died I gained control over its mind and its powers. He will obey me and fight for me when summoned to battle. This will be a tremendous asset over the forces of Ultima.
But I have another task for you. Your use of the Dawn Shard has thrown into sharp relief the dangers of others acquiring pieces of the nethicite. I cannot allow that to happen. Take the treaty blade to the Grand Kiltias on Mount Bur Omisace. Ask him to guard it for future generations of my family. Should you choose to, return to Rabanastre after you complete this quest. I have the need of skilled Generals such as you.
With all my gratitude,
King Raithwall.

Hanar read and reread the page. “Did he say ‘General’?”

Liant and Torno grinned.

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 04:40:52 AM »
I wrote the second batch of posts in one night. Obviously I was on a role but please forgive any spelling/grammatical errors as it was nearing 4am when I finished.

Also, I'm afraid I won't be writing any more on this story. The lore of FFXII just doesn't fire my imagination as much as X, XIII or the PS1 games. BUT, any keen writer please feel free to use these characters in a sequel/prequel should it please you. ;D ;D ;D

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 02:39:16 PM »
For a bunch of FFXII enthusiasts, the appreciation for the first FFXII story in a number of years seems severely limited. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Metal Chocobo

• Vanguard
  • Pushing buttons since 1991
  • Mood: Thoughtful Thoughtful

• View Profile
Re: FFXII: The Gigas Slayer
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 11:06:24 PM »
Not a fan of 12. I still read it. I still loved it.

But I still call shenanigans on water monsters being weak to fire, the game was wrong.

Regardless, it was great!

Push the button. That's why it's there. If it wasn't meant to be pushed, it wouldn't be a button.

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round
  • Simply myself, no more and no less.
  • Mood: Relieved Relieved

• View Profile
Re: FFXII: The Gigas Slayer
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 05:51:52 AM »
I plan on reading this over the weekend for sure. It's been a while since I've read any good Ivalice fanfiction, let alone FFXII. Looking forward to reading this, but based off glances this looks pretty well-written already!

SwordStealer is my twin from across the country! ;D