Poll

Fourth huge materia or the red submarine? (read my post before voting)

Author Topic: FFVII Perfect Game - Potential debate [spoilers]  (Read 3289 times)

Zodiac Killer 99

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Mood: Happy Happy

• View Profile
FFVII Perfect Game - Potential debate [spoilers]
« on: August 27, 2011, 03:24:27 PM »
Right, I know that not many are playing this game anymore, but I was recently doing a perfect game (which, yes, I messed up with one item -_- ) and, although this had previously been an easy decision for me (going with the huge materia), something struck me... if you were to deliberately fail the submarine mission to get the red sub, the huge materia in the rocket would be the huge red materia, the one you missed for failing the submarine mini-quest... now, you may think, "but then how will I get multiple master summon materia when the blue huge materia is required to get bahamut ZERO?"... well... to put it simply, it's not. Though this is the easiest way of getting it, there is one other way...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197341-final-fantasy-vii/faqs/57001

This map shows that there is a small (3.90625%) chance of getting the bahamut ZERO materia by digging at location 3 on the map in bone village.

So, my question is, is it better to have all 4 huge materia and lose the red submarine; or is it better to have the red submarine and gain access to the area behind the dog in the underwater reactor, but not have that fourth chunk of huge materia (which becomes obsolete in my opinion once you have that bahamut ZERO through digging)?

Let me know what you think through the poll, and post comments if you wish to add anything :)

Metal Chocobo

• Vanguard
  • Pushing buttons since 1991
  • Mood: Thoughtful Thoughtful

• View Profile
Re: FFVII Perfect Game - Potential debate [spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 03:53:53 PM »
Is it possible to dig up the materia before you make this decision?

It strikes me that since the red submarine requires you to fail in order to obtain it that obtaining it is a symbol of a not perfect game. A consolation prize of sorts. I say you want the materia. Succeed and make them fear non-red submarines.

Push the button. That's why it's there. If it wasn't meant to be pushed, it wouldn't be a button.

Zodiac Killer 99

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 04:33:17 PM »
It isn't possible to dig the materia before making the decision unfortunately, as one of the requirements of digging it up is that you be on disc 3 :/

I see your point, and I would be inclined to agree, my only argument being you are not able to access the area behind the dog without failing the mission, so you can not have explored every area of the map either, although that could be a ridiculous task of mine xD

Metal Chocobo

• Vanguard
  • Pushing buttons since 1991
  • Mood: Thoughtful Thoughtful

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 05:24:35 PM »
I'd count that area alongside the red skinned version of the submarine. Granted, seeing it is an extra experience and could be considered part of experiencing the full game, but since it requires you to fail to see it you could also argue you need to see the game over screen at least once for an absolutely complete playthrough. Perhaps you could do it twice so you have a save where you reached the submarine and the other one where you continued without it? That way you could get everything, it would all be on one playthrough, just not all available on a single save slot.

Push the button. That's why it's there. If it wasn't meant to be pushed, it wouldn't be a button.

Zodiac Killer 99

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 05:26:29 PM »
Ah, that's true, I considered doing so and then playing on to the end on the one without the red sub or maybe both... I'd have to start from scratch, but oh well :L Thanks for the ideas :)

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 07:39:56 PM »
The idea behind a perfect game is to play the game as perfect as possible. So if you ask me that would mean that completing all mini-games/side-quests with the best possible result as well is ranked higher than obtaining items. In the end a perfect game is all about the perspective of the player though.