Author Topic: FFIX - Excalibur II perfect game  (Read 4150 times)

greeksephiroth

• Vanguard
  • Mood: Lazy Lazy

• View Profile
FFIX - Excalibur II perfect game
« on: June 26, 2012, 10:11:46 AM »
Hi all
I searched for posts on this topic but I couldnt find any. Anyway I wanted to know if anyone of you has tried it yet because I want to attempt it in the near future.
I am currently doing a level 1 game in FFIX because it is mandatory for maxing your stats in a perfect game. So I thought it was a good idea to start from there before actually going for the real thing. What is your opinion on that ? I also want to test my patience with it.
Thank you.

You just have to put your fingers like this!! It's freaking easy! ;)

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
Re: FFIX - Excalibur II perfect game
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 10:23:43 AM »
Never actually attempted a run. Its already pretty difficult to attempt an Excalibur II run on the American versions of the game, but when playing the European version you get even less time making it almost impossible (Unlike first believed I've heard it is now proven to be possible).

So yea if I've had an US copy of the game I might attempted it at some point.

Oniangel

• Order of Ambrosia
  • ζ*'ヮ')ζ
  • Mood: Calm Calm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 01:19:09 PM »
I tried it on a PAL version with good results though I never mangaed to finish it since it requires ENORMOUS amount of luck with the RNG and quite a lot of time.
It is possible to get it on the PAL without even skipping FMV's so if you're on a PS1 you should have no problem since you can skip and save some precious time.

Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get.

greeksephiroth

• Vanguard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 01:44:51 PM »
I think it is allowed to cheat with pal, when it comes to time. For example, when you have played 12 hours on NTSC it equals to 14,27 hours in a PAL version. So PAL gamers can just hack the game and reset it after 2,37 hours( I am not so sure about the numbers, but it is something like this). I am playing on an emulator with a genuine game( if it can be called like that). FMV's can be skipped at all systems, even on an emulator. Also, just trying to get excalibur II is totally different from attempting a perfect game. Getting the excalibur 2 is basically a speedrun, beating the game with anything it has to offer as quickly as possible. In a perfect game, you must get all the missable items, including the excalibur II

Oniangel

• Order of Ambrosia
  • ζ*'ヮ')ζ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 02:04:49 PM »
That's when it comes down to personal opinions: IMO cheating completely nullify the achievement and since I already told you that you can do a EXIIPG while skipping the FMV's I don't see a reason to do it. Cheating ruin games.

Getting the excalibur 2 is basically a speedrun, beating the game with anything it has to offer as quickly as possible. In a perfect game, you must get all the missable items, including the excalibur II

I don't get what you want to know. I know what each challenge stands for. If you want to try a Level 1 Game in order to prepare for a E2PG you can do it easily since you don't have time limits or anything else.

greeksephiroth

• Vanguard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 02:10:18 PM »
I wanted to know your opinions on that and what stat path to take once I am done getting the sword.

Basically, resetting the clock to 0 after 2,27 hours on a PAL version is the same as playing on a NTSC version, because the PAL version runs slower

Oniangel

• Order of Ambrosia
  • ζ*'ヮ')ζ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 02:28:23 PM »
I wanted to know your opinions on that and what stat path to take once I am done getting the sword.

Basically, resetting the clock to 0 after 2,27 hours on a PAL version is the same as playing on a NTSC version, because the PAL version runs slower

I KNOW that the PAL runs at 50Hz instead of the 60Hz from the NA version but I already told you that it makes no difference. Why would you cheat and change the timer when you can still finish everything without the need of cheating?

If you reset the timer the run isn't legit anymore. I don't even think it may work as I already heard of people trying it and miserably failing cause even if the timer was resetted it just changed some numbers instead of actually resetting the system clock. If you want to do it go ahead but if you upload it it won't be recognized as a legit run.

As for the Perfect Stats Path look here at 3.0 / 3.1

Chaos

• Global Moderator
  • Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 09:32:57 AM »
They didn't bother making the clock work correctly in the PAL version? o.O

"Most people think time is like a river that flows swift and sure in one direction, but I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you - they are wrong." ~ Prince of Persia

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 10:17:58 AM »
They didn't bother making the clock work correctly in the PAL version? o.O
Nope, the internal clock hasn't been correct on the PAL for as long as we know really. I can confirm you'll run into the same problems with FFX as well. Can't tell with which FF they finally fixed it though, if its even fixed at all (me guesses its fixed in FFXIII).

Can't really blame them though, reworking the internal clock speed from 60Hz to 50Hz would be quite the work. And given the fact that you'll also have to add an entirely new test round to see if you haven't accidentally broke something it probably wasn't worth the money. After all apart from the ingame timer being wrong the only game where you'll really notice it is FFIX duo to the Excalibur II run.

Fehlany

• Moppet
  • In one ear and... somewhere in there.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 05:10:34 PM »
Difficulty = Epic....

2 1/2 hours saved = 100+ hours of gameplay so far for me. lol

Self-appointed Reviver of Dead Threads!