Author Topic: Skyrim  (Read 20720 times)

pprincess

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Smart Smart

• View Profile
Re: Skyrim
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2011, 01:47:59 PM »
I will definitely be getting this game, had a hard time not buying it in England, but I'm reading now that it has graphical issues on the PS 3. Will maybe get the 360 version. My son is playing this too. He played all of Oblivion and the expansion packs so this one is a must-have for him.

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2011, 02:20:20 PM »
I will definitely be getting this game, had a hard time not buying it in England, but I'm reading now that it has graphical issues on the PS 3. Will maybe get the 360 version. My son is playing this too. He played all of Oblivion and the expansion packs so this one is a must-have for him.
Been playing the Ps3 version, but I've never had any problems what so ever. The only time my game turned out glitchy was right at the start, but that turned out to be my data install who for some reason had stopped halfway the install >_> Nothing a reinstall couldn't fix.

Never got any problems after that. Well I got myself stuck inside a rock at some point, but I doubt that's specific to the ps3 version :P
So I really wonder who is claiming the ps3 version has graphical issues??

@red if your using a laptop the possibility of you being able to swap graphic cards are probably zero (as like most stuff with laptops). Its just something you look for when you buy one.

pprincess

• Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2011, 02:44:14 PM »
I read about the graphical issues for PS 3 in Gamefaqs reviews and also on the US Amazon.com, where buyers have been also writing reviews. The PS 3 version has lower star ratings than the Xbox version.

rsslayersr

• Order of Ambrosia
  • The Cake is a Lie
  • Mood: Depressed Depressed

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
Ah, good job pprincess ;)

just for asking, does the gameplay feel like oblivion?

You might not know this, but Mytthal has a soft spot for cake. He likes to lurk around West and steal Apple Pie from the Cooking Guild.
An Apple a day keeps the Guildmaster away!

pprincess

• Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2011, 02:57:35 PM »
I watched my son play Oblivion a LOT. And at the time I thought the game was rather cold, compared to the charm of JRPGs like Final Fantasy. The NPC chat was what seemed cold to me, and the plot nowhere near as emotional as JRPGs. My son tried to get me to play it, but I watched a lot of it, and I also bought him a lot of the expansion packs so I didn't want to buy it all again for myself when I bought it all once and never played it!

I think the graphics look more like Oblivion in keeping the "look" of the series, but actually they seem more like the graphics used in Dragon Age 2. I don't think they look dated as some people have said. It's that they kept the look of the series consistent which is a really good move for a popular game, you don't want to change it too much for the original fans, but the graphics should of course be more updated which I think they ARE.

Da_Cloud

• Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2011, 03:15:08 PM »
Well expect the same kind of coldness from Skyrim. So far I'm not really impressed with the NPC conversations, nor has this game got any good twisting plots. Its more like get item x from dungeon A, now lets go find secret dungeon B, ect. And don't get me going about the random NPC conversations. Me walks into shop, me spends 1.000 gold on some nice equipment, me want to walk out of shop, shop owner shout's something in the trend of "No window shopping in my shop" >_<

Gameplay wise its Oblivion with only a few minor tweaks. They improved the magic system, but at the cost of being able to create your own magic. And the new killing blow animations are more annoying than a nice new feature. Dual welding and being able to switch equipment from left to right hand is quite a nice feature. Apart from that all which really changed is the environment.

Still its probably the best WRPG on the market so if your into that genre you'll have a game which will keep you going for quite some time. If your more of a JRPG type I would suggest considering if this game is something for you.

BTW I really wonder if the Ps3 and Xbox360 version are truly any different. I mean its not like anybody is going to buy both version to compare them, where its more likely that the hardcore fans of either systems have something to do with it. I mean I haven't encounters any problems graphic wise and I'm already a good 30 hours into the game with half the world map explored (dungeons not included).

YiazmatSlayer

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2011, 03:24:17 PM »
Considering what you just said about this bram, my mind is now firmly set in the negative, to buying this.

There's a difference between playing a card, and using a card. - Zane Truesdale

pprincess

• Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2011, 03:35:47 PM »
At the time of Oblivion I was probably more into JRPGs, but now lately I'm equally into WRPGs, with Dragon Age II being one of my best plays of the year. Of course I've been a WKC freak for awhile now, but at 6 playthroughs of Dragon Age 2, and 4 playthroughs of Mass Effect 2, I've been mainly waiting for another WRPG to feed my gaming fix.

I think I'm going to head down to the shop to buy this...

The reviews I've read so far and the number reviews are mainly the fanboys chiming in early on the game. But still they are all like 9's and 10's and people wouldn't be giving those ratings if it were really bad. Gamers are quick to say it if an entry in a series is sub par. They are plenty negative if they are fans of a game series and the new one is garbage. Nobody is saying that at all about this title the way they did about Dragon Age 2, which I actually love, but which disappointed Dragon Age fans for the most part.

Da_Cloud

• Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2011, 03:40:30 PM »
Well I'm not trying to smash the game into the ground. But just like Oblivion you shouldn't buy this game expecting a wonderful story. And I would be lying if this game doesn't have its share of issues. And especially since most JRPG tend to put the story on the front line I better make that part clear for those who value a strong story.

Though like said me ain't here to just smash the game to the ground, I mean while saying all above the game still manages to get me hooked simply for its massive world and the ability to do whatever you feel like doing. I mean if you don't want to help a beggar stuck on the side of a road you just shoot an arrow through his head and you'll never have to deal with him again :P

I haven't touched FFXIV in a week simply because I can't stop thinking about the loot that nice looking dungeon holds for me ;D

pprincess

• Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2011, 03:53:41 PM »
But...but...can you have sex with an alien?  ;D

Actually, I don't need a game to have whatever Bioware games have, because I have Bioware for that. I don't necessarily need a game to have whatever JRPGs have either, even though story is a very big thing for me, again not every game needs to be the same for me. In fact, it's often better a game DOESN'T have something I have liked in the past, because I like new experiences in gaming. The fact that this game is addicting is huge though, and just about everybody is saying that.  :P

Da_Cloud

• Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2011, 04:06:22 PM »
Well once I've done all the main quests and explored a few dungeons of every type the exidement probably dims down. I mean after 10 having already killed 10 dragons those fights aren't really becoming interesting anymore ::)

pprincess

• Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2011, 04:37:28 PM »
I read a bit of a tip about playing as a mage so I may try that.

Da_Cloud

• Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2011, 04:43:11 PM »
Playing as a pure mage seems to be the hardest way. At least that's what I've heard so far.

As archer I'm having an easy time. At least assuming they don't see me, the moment one comes charging at me I've got a huge problem, especially now that they've slowed the archers speed down while charging an arrow. In Oblivion you could just keep on runing backwards evading 90% of the attacks, but that ain't going to happen in Skyrim.

pprincess

• Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2011, 04:48:25 PM »
I've heard this too about the mage, that it is difficult, but if you enroll in the college right away and just have some Restoration magic at the start, there are some benefits to this, whatever these are would be spoilers for me at the moment, so that's all I'm going on for now...

Also have read that the game is vastly different in multiple playthroughs doing different jobs. That is hugely appealing to me, replay value, and changing the experience each time.

Sanji

• Hedge Knight
  • ''You change the future, you change the past''
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2011, 04:58:10 PM »
I have it and enjoying every second of it. Realy a fantastic RPG :)