Author Topic: Star Ocean 4 International Freezing Problems?  (Read 13670 times)

Deathgaze

• Moppet
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
Star Ocean 4 International Freezing Problems?
« on: July 07, 2010, 10:41:47 PM »
I just reached the Cave of the Seven Stars where I encountered my first freeze with the game. It never happened during the game's scenario and it just happened when I finished a battle with a few Hornets. I couldn't access the XMB so with no other choice, I had to shut it off manually. It managed to start up again, but now I'm wary about playing again because of the freezing and constantly turning off my PS3 wrong will most likely damage it.

Does anyone know how to fix it or anyone experiencing this problem? I'm thinking about reporting this to Square Enix.

Oniangel

• Order of Ambrosia
  • ζ*'ヮ')ζ
  • Mood: Calm Calm

• View Profile
Re: Star Ocean 4 International Freezing Problems?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 10:49:03 PM »
Yeah you're not the only one that have Freeze Issues and I don't think reporting to SE would change something.

The game have Framerate and Freeze Issues as also the 360 version had and require a high usage of the Specs almost always so....

Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get.

Deathgaze

• Moppet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 11:55:48 PM »
Thanks, I was starting to wonder since my PS3 is fairly old (about 2 years) and runs on every other game fine and this was the first time I ever experienced a freeze. This happened right after the battle and the music was still playing so I left it on for about 10 minutes but it was still in the frozen position when I came back. I heard about many freezes with Final Fantasy XIII but I was able to play it through just fine. I guess I will either have to skip the pre-game bonuses or have to just deal with it somehow.

I'm guessing there's nothing we can do about this. Unless Square releases a patch, which I doubt they will.

Okay, I tried it again and it seemed to work. But you know what I find funny? I fought the Hornets again and the game froze after that, but when I pretty much fight every other enemy; it works. It's just the Hornets for some reason, and even when I escape; it freezes.

Ally

• Newsletter
  • Brave Companion
  • Believe
  • Mood: Exhausted Exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 12:36:42 AM »
Had the PS3 been on a long time? Maybe it over-heated. someddrnoob here could tell you about all of his adventures with SO4 freezing.  ::)

Someddrnoob

• Order of Ambrosia
  • I'll finish you in one strike! - Yukiko Amagi
  • Mood: Stressed Stressed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 05:12:36 PM »
I am one to believe that every copy of Star Ocean: The Last Hope International has these freezing problems, as it's been rampant in many people's experiences while playing the game.

Had the PS3 been on a long time? Maybe it over-heated. someddrnoob here could tell you about all of his adventures with SO4 freezing.  ::)

You meanie! You're just about as bad as Erin is :'(

I myself saw my first freeze happening deep within the Palace of Creation, then the later freezes occurred in the Wandering Dungeon, then the Cave of the Seven Stars! It took forever than expected to farm Meracle's Ornithology drops because of this freezing problem :-\

I believe your freezing is a different scenario, as mine freezes during mid-battle or before an Ambush appears, and the game itself stops entirely for a second or so, then the ambush sound plays and the music plays on forever with the game stuck, XMB not loading at all.

Remember, Reimi is watching you... Don't get slapped!

Deathgaze

• Moppet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 09:02:50 AM »
Nope, I just turned it on and did a little farming for my Bonus Board. I went to Cave of the Seven Stars and engaged in an ambush battle against the Hornets and a couple of bats after that. It froze there after the battle was complete but I could still here the victory theme and even Reimi said her victory quote but I couldn't do anything. Overall, I would say I was on for 30 minutes.

I'm guessing it was the ambush, because I was able to fight them just fine individually. I'm going to try to abstain from engaging in ambush battles. But I'm guessing I'm going to have to deal with it somehow if everyone else is having this problem too. If they do, then they should release a simple patch for the people who have problems with the game.

I'm going to try to look at the disc later and see if there are any faulty problems with it. Even though reporting it to Square won't solve anything, I wonder if they know about this problem.

LATER EDIT: Well, I found no problems with the disc. There were no scratches visible so I decided to call Square Enix and here is what they said:

1. Be sure to check if there are any scratches or damage to the disc which could cause the laser to have a problem reading it.

2. If you're experiencing problems in some other area of the game, or it is inconsistent to where the game is freezing, it might be something within the system. You may want to try using a cleaner for your system, which can generally be purchased at any video game retailer.

3. We do highly recommend to keep your PS3 updated, please navigate to the System Update option on the PS3.

4. If none of those tips work, try the game in another PS3 at that point to see if it does the same thing. Video game retailers usually have systems for demonstration purposes, and they are usually cooperative when this type of request is made.

Spee

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Endure and survive.
  • Mood: Thoughtful Thoughtful

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 09:10:46 AM »
That is pretty much what Square will always tell you if you have problems with one of their games. Kind of disappointing but there is nothing you could do about it. In retrospect, the 360 version also had freezing problems and it still hasn't been fixed. I wouldn't expect a patch for this game from Square Enix so you guys are just going to have to deal with it somehow.

DragonSLAYER45

• Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 06:10:02 AM »
The 360 version freezing could easily be fixed by installing the game on your harddrive.  I had freezing very early on in the game and a disc read error at one point but after installing the game on the harddrive, it never happened again.

I haven't experienced any freezing problems with the game so far and you may want to give one of those ideas Square gave you and see if it might help.

Someddrnoob

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 03:44:42 PM »
Well, that's your standard Square-Enix automatic response to the freezing problems. I've had to fill in the other information and they could not come up with any solution to my problem.

Star Ocean 4 International freezing problems are far more apparent and unavoidable compared to the Xbox 360 version, since the Fury\Silence\Void\Miss bug is fixed as well as all sorts of things.

Ally

• Newsletter
  • Brave Companion
  • Believe
  • Mood: Exhausted Exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 08:09:14 PM »
Some people claim reducing the resolution helps and can even stop the problem on PS3 and the Xbox versions.

MK Emaster

• Newsletter
  • Brave Companion
  • FFT's Keen RPer ^^
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 08:38:33 PM »
Oh I just got my first reason to stop thinking about buying this, I was all excited to get this after playing it my friends house.
Is it literary in every copy? (>_>)

FFT is the coolest place on the internet ^_^ wait...yeah ^_^

My Youtube ChaNNel
CHECK OUT MY ARTWORKS ^^

Someddrnoob

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 04:17:08 PM »
Some people claim reducing the resolution helps and can even stop the problem on PS3 and the Xbox versions.

Doesn't work, no matter which PS3 model, TV model, or anything.

I've frozen on my 480i SDTV on my slim PS3, frozen on my 1080p HDTV on my fat and slim PS3.

Nevfx

• Moppet
  • Mood: Happy Happy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 06:42:38 PM »
Can't say I've never had this problem. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Deathgaze

• Moppet

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 08:25:45 PM »
Strangely, I haven't had a freeze since the last time I had it. I was able to get through the Cave of the Seven Stars without any problems so I assume it was the ambush. I'm going to try and avoid all ambushes in both post game dungeons because I'm really sure that is what caused it.

The occasional slowdown, somehow, has become more noticeable in some areas. I had a huge slowdown when I went back to the Miga Insect Warren on Aeos and I noticed it froze for two seconds and then went back to normal.

kokushishin

• Brave Companion

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 03:58:25 PM »
Past games in the series have had more or less the same problems with freezes and music getting messed up, it's gotta be something in the game engine:

http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/snes/so1/bugs.shtml

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100320232431AAY4IRP

It's only happened to me once with 2nd Evolution though.