Poll

Do you love this game, hate it, or you can't decide?

Love it!
11 (84.6%)
Hate it!
1 (7.7%)
In the middle
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: FFIV: Love it or Hate it?  (Read 2104 times)

Fairy Girl

• Hedge Knight
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
FFIV: Love it or Hate it?
« on: August 19, 2010, 10:49:42 PM »
If you had to pick, would you say you love the game, or hate the game? Explain the reasons why you feel this strongly about the game in this thread and share your opinions.

It still remains my third favorite FF.  I love the characters, the story of redemption, the music and the gameplay. It had great villains and playing it again these days gives me that nostalgic feeling. It also spawned one of the greatest insults in the history of gaming. Tellah's insult is a FF monument. xD Can't say much because I haven't played it in a while, but I'll expand once I finish the DS version again.

The point is, I have people I can count on. I'll make it through... ~Serah Farron

Someddrnoob

• Order of Ambrosia
  • I'll finish you in one strike! - Yukiko Amagi
  • Mood: Stressed Stressed

• View Profile
Re: FFIV: Love it or Hate it?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 11:02:21 PM »
As this is my personal favourite out of the Final Fantasy series, my answer remains obvious.

There are so many elements that make up a great game, and they have been renewed in the DS version of Final Fantasy IV. The challenge that it makes up is definitely a benefit to diehard fans because the DS version is such a delight to anyone new or old to the series.

The remastered tracks by Kenichiro Fukui and Junya Nakano are stellar, and what a way to introduce Final Fantasy IV by having the Theme of Love, Main Theme of Final Fantasy IV, and Final Fantasy mixed into the DS Opening scene. That piece of music is probably the best I've heard from any game.

The other versions of the game have their own little charm too, like the Game Boy Advance version, with the extra dungeon and ability to use your previous characters before the final party have stirred things up and added replayability value to the game. The PS1 version has a great degree of difficulty, and the Super Nintendo version introduced this piece to the entire audience as Final Fantasy II in the US.

Remember, Reimi is watching you... Don't get slapped!

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round
  • Simply myself, no more and no less.
  • Mood: Relieved Relieved

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 01:14:52 AM »
I love it. There are some things I dislike about the game, like its cliche moments(those always tick me off, bar FFIX in which it was intentional). Apart from that, it's fun, challenging, and cool to play again and again, just for the story.

However, I have recently too much memory of playing this game on the DS in the car on road trips. Thus, I tend to get a headache when I play it sometimes, as I force myself to play through carsickness, and I guess it sticks with me.

SwordStealer is my twin from across the country! ;D

Shadow Gilgamesh

• Order of Ambrosia
  • All your weapons are belong to me!
  • Mood: Lazy Lazy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 01:17:09 AM »
storywise, this is my favorite FF, i enjoyed having 5 people on the field at once for maximum combo-ing, liked that their was more that one or two bad guys (up till then the FFs only had one or two superbaddies that were important to the story)
the only thing that annoyed me was how hard the random battles got near the end, i mean i'm up for a chalange but some of that was just bogus

so i'd say i loved it ;D

Ally

• Newsletter
  • Brave Companion
  • Believe
  • Mood: Exhausted Exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 02:42:58 AM »
I love it considerably. It has nearly everything you could ask for in a great RPG. Great characters, significant focus for each of them, a moving story and all the Final Fantasy staple elements present. I also did appreciate the challenge of the NDS version but I found one of the major downsides is that it doesn't have the "choose whoever you like for the Final Battle" incorporated into it like in the GBA version, but I guess that's because of voice acting.

Oh and yes, long live the Spoony Bard insult.

Shadow Gilgamesh

• Order of Ambrosia
  • All your weapons are belong to me!
  • Mood: Lazy Lazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 04:25:44 AM »
i have the DS version where you can teach abilities of the other party members to the final party, triple focus + jump is killer (even though jump is otherwise useless)
and twin cast between rosa and rydia is awesome!

xXNeoYagamiXx

• Moppet
  • I'm a Gamer, Skateboarder and a youtuber !!
  • Mood: Drunk Drunk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 04:25:18 AM »
love it soo much ^^

"I'm Here to OWN"
                                                                     Uzumaki Naruto

Chaos

• Global Moderator
  • Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 10:56:56 PM »
Having finished the game just the other day, I feel like a lot of the praise is for nostalgia's sake. I enjoyed the story for its simplicity, but I also think it would not be so well received today. I have to agree that the characters are good and memorable, even though most of them have little to no background. Combat can be fun and there are some well designed battles that require different strategies. The encounter rate killed all the fun, though. Luckily, I played on an emulator and could speed up the battles or abuse the save states to avoid them completely. Overall, I'm somewhere in the middle concerning this game.

"Most people think time is like a river that flows swift and sure in one direction, but I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you - they are wrong." ~ Prince of Persia