Author Topic: Square.co Enix.co?  (Read 8337 times)

MK Emaster

• Newsletter
  • Brave Companion
  • FFT's Keen RPer ^^
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
Square.co Enix.co?
« on: July 11, 2009, 08:21:10 AM »
I don't know about you guys, but I found that Square was a company and Enix is another, in 2003 they merged to form Square Enix Co.

Square Enix was formed as the result of a merger between Square Co. and the Enix Corporation. On April 1, 2003, Enix legally absorbed Square, with Square stockholders receiving 0.85 shares of stock in the new company compared to Enix stockholders receiving a one-to-one trade. As part of the merger, many of the top officials within Square Co. assumed the leadership roles in the new corporate hierarchy, including president Y?ichi Wada, who was appointed president of the new corporation.

FFT is the coolest place on the internet ^_^ wait...yeah ^_^

My Youtube ChaNNel
CHECK OUT MY ARTWORKS ^^

x8m8x3k3t

• Rear Guard
  • System that works, evolves complex that doesn't.
  • Mood: Indescribable Indescribable

• View Profile
Re: Square.co Enix.co?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 09:39:08 AM »
Wanna know the reason for merge?

It is because Spirits Within movie was commercial failure.

MegaFun

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Mood: Energetic Energetic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 11:19:40 AM »
Yeah, I knew that. They merged sometime around the release of FFX-2 I think.

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round
  • Simply myself, no more and no less.
  • Mood: Relieved Relieved

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 12:56:35 PM »
Sorry, but you honestly didn't know that? :o

That's why all the FF games up to FFX have the normal SQUARE logo, whilst everything beyond that, and KH2 have the SQUARE-ENIX logo.

It kind of sad, I thought FF:TSW was an excellent movie...

SwordStealer is my twin from across the country! ;D

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 02:15:44 PM »
It kind of sad, I thought FF:TSW was an excellent movie...
Yea, but by naming it Final Fantasy people expect a few things and well.. Spirits Within gives you everything expect those things :-\ For the rest it was an excellent movie and I believe that if they named it differently it would have been a success (which proves that the name does mater).

But yea former SquareSoft.Co did got in financial trouble mainly because of the movie the Spirits Within. I guess Enix saw that Square still had the potential to go on and bought SquareSoft.

MK Emaster

• Newsletter
  • Brave Companion
  • FFT's Keen RPer ^^

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 06:27:46 PM »
Sorry, but you honestly didn't know that? :o

I wasn't like, too hooked on SE, I only read news and games. I never go back and check their history, but at that time I decided to take a look at the "Square Enix History" ;)

FFT is the coolest place on the internet ^_^ wait...yeah ^_^

My Youtube ChaNNel
CHECK OUT MY ARTWORKS ^^

A1X_Jet

• Vanguard
  • ....you jes fulla surprises, ain't ya?
  • Mood: Content Content

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 07:39:49 PM »
Go figure, Enix bought them and merged some of the best series ever, but now all we get are 10 years between each truly great game because Enix is making all the executive decisions and you can tell they put their two cents into the FF stuff.

EMPIRE: Book One: Beginning of the End -- Go into battle determined to die, and you will survive; Go into battle hoping to live, and surely you will not.
EMPIRE: Beginning of the End
PSN: KillerTofue

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 09:21:24 PM »
Actually no. A lot of Square's high officials got REALLY high positions efate Enix bought it. Technically, in SE, Square still has more power, though they are one now.

SilverSummoner

• Moppet
  • Mood: Exhausted Exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 09:24:21 PM »
It confused me because my Kingdom Hearts I cover has Square Enix on the cover, while in the game it says it was made by Square Soft. I don't know, they made a boo-boo before their merger?  :P

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 09:27:57 PM »
No, for KH1, when it was released, they labled it just Square because that's what it was at the time. However, though they can't change the actual in-game logo, they fixed it on the cover to SE in the Greatest Hits release.

You'll find they also did the same with with FFX, FFChronicles, FFAnthology, and FFVII-FFIX + Tactics.

Judge Magister Gabranth

• Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 10:55:15 PM »
Yeah, I knew that. They merged sometime around the release of FFX-2 I think.
Yeah, it was around a month after that when they merged corporations.

lol ya MK, I knew that :D somebody hasn't been doing their homework XD

DragonSLAYER45

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 11:00:13 PM »
Square was Square Soft and Enix was just...Enix. I have no idea what games Enix made but RPGs like Square made. I know that Final Fantasy was created because Square Soft was going bankrupt.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was Square Soft's last game with the logo and Kingdom Hearts was Square Enix's first game after the merger.

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 11:06:38 PM »
Enix's well known title, which they also still continue, is the Dragon Quest games.

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 12:19:09 AM »
Enix's well known title, which they also still continue, is the Dragon Quest games.
Actually, Dragon Quest is made by a company called Level 5 . Enix wasn't a company that made games. Its was a company that distribute the games for other companies. Now that they merged with Square they also make games.

Also by merging with the former SquareSoft, Square-Enix now hold the biggest part of the Japanese RPG market. In Japan Dragon Quest is the most selling RPG closely followed by Final Fantasy. In the Western market the games are turned around (Final Fantasy sells more than Dragon Quest on these markets), but they are still 2 leading series.

Also during the history SquareSoft has been on the edge of bankrupt many times over. Final Fantasy was originally planned to be the companies last game (if they only knew it would become this success back then). I also know they where on the edge of bankrupt when they released FFVII. The game had cost them so much that if it wouldn't sell they would be bankrupt as well (again if they only knew it would become this success). Then the third time I know of was when The Spirits Within didn't go as planned, at which point Enix came and bought over SquareSoft.

A1X_Jet

• Vanguard
  • ....you jes fulla surprises, ain't ya?

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 02:57:19 AM »
Unfortunately, though, like I said, SE is now spitting out crap titles every time you look to see. Aside from the Tactics update, Crisis Core, KHII and Advent Children, everything done with Enix has gone down hill in my opinion. That includes X-2, XII, XII:RW... TA2 was all right though, so I'll forgive them ... a bit. They should be lucky they do work with tri-Ace, because Valkyrie Profile and Star Ocean are really saving their asses.

EMPIRE: Book One: Beginning of the End -- Go into battle determined to die, and you will survive; Go into battle hoping to live, and surely you will not.
EMPIRE: Beginning of the End
PSN: KillerTofue