Author Topic: The Last Remnant  (Read 25397 times)

pprincess

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Smart Smart

• View Profile
Re: The Last Remnant
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 04:13:40 AM »
I'm still playing this crazy game, it's so addicting. It takes awhile to grab you.

If you're playing it on the 360, installing it to the hard drive is a MUST. The game is too slow otherwise. You get used the loading screens and don't even notice them after awhile. Plus you're so busy thinking about what you're doing that the screens are kind of a mental break. Or in my case, a food or diet coke break.

What grabs me about this game is the strategy. The game does NOT play itself. You might think that until later in the game when all of a sudden you cannot defeat anything. And you realize that you used the WRONG STRATEGY for building your unions and don't know crap about how the game works.

The battles and commands are NOT random either. You might think so at first, but it takes a lot of thinking and know-how to completely control what comes up in the battle menu. YOU CAN CONTROL IT but there is a LOT of minute things you have to learn. This game is NOT forgiving like FF12. People don't "level up" in the old way. And some can go seriously wrong if you make bad decisions.

The reviewers did not play the game long enough to get past the learning curve, you really don't get a serious major battle until about 40% of the way thru the game and after that they get bigger and bigger. The game gives it to you easy for awhile. The reviewers only saw that early stuff. If they had got further they would have realized that not only does it NOT play itself, you might have to start over so you can actually control what's going on.

curly haired boy

• Moppet
  • played Revenant Wings yet?

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 02:38:07 PM »
yep. surprisingly enough, the PC demo has no tutorials or anything, but it DOES have several tough boss fights that kinda force you to learn good strategy.

the PC version has loading times under 3 seconds. :)

Zeikuu

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Puts the Pro in Procrastination
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 04:44:11 PM »
i've installed it to my hardrive and it goes faster..... although there are some harder bosses at the start which you only get via quest..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/i]

curly haired boy

• Moppet
  • played Revenant Wings yet?

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 07:06:52 PM »
i've installed it to my hardrive and it goes faster..... although there are some harder bosses at the start which you only get via quest..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/i]
yeah, that one's in the demo. that battle's a *****, specially if you don't know what you're doing.

---

IGN gave it a 6.8, even though the performance issues have gone away. that says to me, "wait for a price drop."

i do want to get it eventually, though. it's....the only next-gen JRPG on PC.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 08:16:56 PM by wee187 »

Ashe10

• Moppet
  • ? I love my Jamie ?

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 12:46:07 PM »
I love this game!!! but i wish you could have more control of the party members.
Currently grinding for the harder version of the Final Boss, All 67 Quests completed ;D

pprincess

• Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 07:00:28 PM »
Ashe10, you can control all your party members if you have it set up right. Sometimes having the wrong person in the union will muck up the commands you that you get to pick from.

If you want more healing, for example, putting a Mystics person in that union will often result in getting all combat and mystic commands and fewer healing options and mess up getting opportunities to tell your party to heal or standby.

Ashe10

• Moppet
  • ? I love my Jamie ?

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 09:15:52 PM »
^Something new thanks :O

kokushishin

• Brave Companion

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 07:17:21 PM »

I haven't played it, but any experience with a war game or strategy will help a lot once you figure out what units are compatible. 

pprincess

• Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 08:24:40 PM »
Oddly enough if you are an FF12 dedicated player you are better off in this game than anyone else. First off you recognize the nasty RNG, it's the same old bugger. You also will know that you need certain items to drop in order to create weapons or other things, the Bazaar in FF12 is basically the workshop of Last Remnant only things cost more. You also know to buy Herbs to make Potions in the beginning of the game, and the magics are familiar to any FF player. You will also know to save before you fight something big or something rare.

Rush is similar to Vaan/Tidus. His sister is Aeris.

What is new is getting critters like Baulson the Yama who hits hard and when he doesn't like his hit he yells "*Bleep*!!!!"

Also if you've played any job-based FF game the jobs here are tied to weapon choices so that is familiar. You will also see familiar FF names on things. In this game the Ragna Rock is an accessory instead of a sword or an airship, as one example.

The one issue is that the game is not forgiving of mistakes in crafting your unions. If you fight too many lower level mobs your character stats will not increase but your Battle Rank will and you can easily get your BR too high and not be able to kill anything because you don't have enough skills and enough strength. Many people have had to start the game over. Also if you don't know who to put together into a party you might think the battle commands are "random" when in fact they are NOT. Even worse is that the strategy guide does not have any information on formations and creating decent unions nor how to avoid ruining your unions.

If people are playing it, I'm happy to answer questions as I'm sure Ashe10 is as well. I hope we have more of a forum here on fftogether as more people play the game.

Ashe10

• Moppet
  • ? I love my Jamie ?

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2009, 07:59:50 PM »
Of course princess  :D

I'm planning to replay the game and make videos of the quests and of other useful stuf that is meant to help people like i always did for FFXII  ;D

Here is my video of the Absolute Conqueror ^^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2lpTji1XFU

Really fun battle i screamed loud when i managed to beat him hehe  :D, for people who don't know it's the harder version of the final boss, It's just the final boss but with higher stats. It's available when you done all Quests in the game

DragonSLAYER45

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2009, 10:30:17 PM »
Haven't tried Absolute Conqueror yet.  :D I'm near the end of the game though. Just need to get all the quests done.

Fairy Girl

• Hedge Knight
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2009, 11:01:38 PM »
I am currently in my First Playthrough. I have bought this game alongside Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope.  ;)

The point is, I have people I can count on. I'll make it through... ~Serah Farron

Ashe10

• Moppet
  • ? I love my Jamie ?

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 12:50:41 PM »
Awesome, Have fun :)

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round
  • Simply myself, no more and no less.
  • Mood: Relieved Relieved