Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIII's Battle System - Queuing?  (Read 6937 times)

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round
  • Simply myself, no more and no less.
  • Mood: Relieved Relieved

• View Profile
Final Fantasy XIII's Battle System - Queuing?
« on: January 29, 2009, 02:45:24 AM »
With FFXIII's new release, expanded Battle System views are visible. I've come to my own theory on this new system.

It's a Queuing System.

There is the ATB back from games 4-9. This could be welcome to some fans. But, like FFXII, this is 3D now, which means you can control all 3 characters. From what I've seen, there are no Gambits, but there is queuing. In this queuing, you would select an attack or heal, up to 3, as there are 3 queuing segments shown up the commands. You would queue them up for that character, so for the next 3 ATB's, he or she would perform what was queued up to be next. This lets you leave that character and queue up others by switching to them with the Triangle button. This leaves for fast paced action.

Another thing now. My assumed use of the Triangle button means that the menu can't be accessed in battles. Who knows? We'll find out with the demo.

SwordStealer is my twin from across the country! ;D

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Necessity is the oasis of true strength
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy XIII's Battle System - Queuing?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 02:48:11 AM »
When's the demo scheduled for release?

When the darkness of the Abyss threatens the world, the Phoenix will rise amidst a whirlwind of fire and light.

Whisperer: Sometimes there is a very good reason to fear the dark.

DragonSLAYER45

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 02:49:49 AM »
I was hoping it'll have a different battle system aside from I-XII.  :-\

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round
  • Simply myself, no more and no less.
  • Mood: Relieved Relieved

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 02:51:24 AM »
It definitely seems different.This is just my speculation(god I've used that word a lot today), but it seems different to say the least. There's aerial activity going on! :o

SwordStealer is my twin from across the country! ;D

Someddrnoob

• Order of Ambrosia
  • I'll finish you in one strike! - Yukiko Amagi
  • Mood: Stressed Stressed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 03:07:55 AM »
When's the demo scheduled for release?

The demo's going to be released in copies of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete in First Run copies, and according to Play-Asia, they're slated to be released at April 16, 2009.

Remember, Reimi is watching you... Don't get slapped!

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 09:38:50 AM »
The demo's going to be released in copies of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete in First Run copies, and according to Play-Asia, they're slated to be released at April 16, 2009.
To bad the movie itself is region A protected. So America can watch it, but Europa can't. And there is no way I'm paying 60 dollars for a demo :-\

FF12GrandMaster

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 01:32:11 PM »
And if FFXIII is going back to some awful queuing system that is anything like FFX then I for one will NOT be buying it.

Da_Cloud

• Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 02:38:06 PM »
And if FFXIII is going back to some awful queuing system that is anything like FFX then I for one will NOT be buying it.
I would rather say it looked more like a variation of the ATB system, and since FFX is turn based I don't think they can be compared.

MegaFun

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Mood: Energetic Energetic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 05:07:20 PM »
I would rather say it looked more like a variation of the ATB system, and since FFX is turn based I don't think they can be compared.

I'd say it's more like the XII battle system because when you do things, like casting magicks and stuff, it gets queued. Except, in this game, queueing actions is a key part in the battle system, so basically it's XII's bs at a somewhat faster pace.

But we're still unsure if it would Active Dimension Battle like in XII. :P

Da_Cloud

• Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 05:35:56 PM »
But we're still unsure if it would Active Dimension Battle like in XII. :P
Its definitely the ATB (Active Time Battle). Look closely to the bar below the Hp, it fill itself up over time. So I dare to assume that it indicates on the return of the old ATB system.

BafflinBook

• Hedge Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 01:39:30 PM »
i thought it was FFXII but it kinda disappointed me when i realize it wasn't.I wouldn't even dare to voice how much fond i have for XII outside fan-based forums.(such as Youtube)

Battle intro is out-dated i wonder why they brought it back.Looks like an attempt to create another FFVII with the similar battle systems in Grandia III.

I like FFX's battle system,it allows player to predict and take action strategically.Although it was too linear for a RPG,but i enjoyed it very much.

A1X_Jet

• Vanguard
  • ....you jes fulla surprises, ain't ya?
  • Mood: Content Content

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 11:52:01 PM »
I think... and this is purely speculation with high biased wishful thinking... that the system of XIII molds X and XI together.

1.) There are no gambits, but its not MMORPG-style.
2.) An updated version of ATB: The battles apparently happen on the world screen, but if thus were so, you would be able to move behind your opponent, and your character would not return to point A after attacking, which the characters in XIII do (YAY!!!!!!). HOWEVER, I'm hoping they take this from XII and sort've Lost Odyssey -- you can input all your Char. commands prior to them actually happening (sort've like a atb-gambit), but you don't have to... who knows.
3.) I'm hoping you can switch characters in and out of battle but it doesn't look as lame as it did in X, I'm also hoping there is the classic Flash and transition into battle music, but I hope the menu in XIII is as complex as it was in XII (switch equipment, [i know you had to go into the menu to do this, but if you can't go into the menu during combat in XIII[[WISHFUL THINKING PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BE REALITY]] then... well. it'd be in the battle menu.])
---I particularly hope the strategy aspect of XII is implemented in XIII. I.E. monsters in the same area, some weak to fire, others to lightning, flying can't be hit by short range, etc. This would make Lightning a core character, having a Gunblade that switches between Gun and Blade. BUT. I definitely want her to have a GUNBLADE, circa FF8, meaning Slash and QUICKLY TAP R1 FOR EXTRA GUN DMG!!!!!!!!1111zomg.

All in all, no matter what, I will buy this game.

EMPIRE: Book One: Beginning of the End -- Go into battle determined to die, and you will survive; Go into battle hoping to live, and surely you will not.
EMPIRE: Beginning of the End
PSN: KillerTofue

Sentinel

• Hedge Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 10:59:54 PM »
As you level up, you can gain more AP, which means more lengthy and devestating attacks from what I've heard at E3.

Metal Chocobo

• Vanguard
  • Pushing buttons since 1991
  • Mood: Thoughtful Thoughtful

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 01:57:28 AM »
I never really liked XII's fighting system... particularly the awkward pause between telling someone to attack and them actually doing it. (what are they waiting for? permission from the monster?) Queueing seems a little more like Knights of the Old Republic. It's a kind of detached feeling system, but, being square, they'll have some bright colours and fancy moves to suck us in again. And if they bring back the extra gunblade damage maybe they could bring back summon boosting tooXD
Just as long as they dont use the XII system for summons again...

Push the button. That's why it's there. If it wasn't meant to be pushed, it wouldn't be a button.

Sentinel

• Hedge Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 02:04:23 AM »
Just as long as they dont use the XII system for summons again...
Actually, I think every character has a specific summon or "Eidolon" based on what I've seen on E3.

Spoiler: Serious Spoilers (click to show/hide)
...According to Wikipedia.