Author Topic: RNG and ZS Chest Appearance  (Read 152401 times)

FF12GrandMaster

RNG and ZS Chest Appearance
« on: August 09, 2009, 03:33:29 AM »
From GM's original method a new method has been created. This method is supposibly 100% correct all the time. For the new method look here: http://www.fftogether.com/forum/index.php?topic=2778.0

As successful as this method is, there is still one sticking point for quite a few people and that is "How many times do I hit myself before entering the Phase 2 Dig?"  It seems that it differs depending on what your PS2 model is. As I only have the one model I can only give an answer for that particular one but I still have many people asking me the above question.

What I would like to do is to update the FAQ with the information that people need. However, to do that I need to gather that information which is where you all come into the equation. Have you been successful in getting the chest to show and getting the Spear? If so, can you please post the Model Number of your ps2 here (it's the SCPH number on the back) and how many times you have to hit yourself to get the chest to show regularly. The following is the only info I have to date that has been confirmed to me:

Series 30001 - Hit self 3 times
Series 30004 - Hit self twice. Chest will appear after hitting self 5 times but seems to appear more with 2 hits.
Series 39001 - Don't hit self at all. Another report states that hitting yourself 3 times can also produce the chest.
Series 39003 - Hit self twice
Series 39004 - Hit self twice whilst by the Gate Crystal
Series 50001/N - Hit self 3 times
Series 50001 - Don't hit self at all
Series 50002 - Don't hit self at all. Hitting yourself 3 times also seems to spawn the chest.
Series 50003 - Hit self 3 times
Series 50004 - Don't hit self at all
Series 55001 - Don't hit self at all. Apparently the chest spawns 20 or 25% of the time
Series 70001 - One report that hitting yourself 5 times can make the chest appear. Another says not at all.
Series 70004 - Also one report that hitting yourself 5 times can make the chest appear
Series 70012 - Hit self 3 times. Some appear to have better luck not hitting themself at all. Take your pick :D
Series 75001 - Don't hit self at all
Series 75004 - Hit self 3 times. One report said it also appears if you don't hit yourself at all.
Series 77001 - Hit self once. Reported 38% success rate.
Series 77004 - Hit self 3 times. One gamer reports that it can take 5 hits to get the chest to appear, another says not at all.
Series 79002 - Hit self 3 times
Series 79003 - Don't hit self at all
Series 90001 - Hit self either once or 3 times. Reported that not hitting self at all also works
Series 90004 - Don't hit self at all or hit self 3 times. The latter is reported with a 50% success rate.
Series 90006 - Don't hit self at all

I would appreciate any info that can be added to these details so please post here. Thanks :)

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 05:07:05 PM by Da_Cloud »

AstriBlair

• Vanguard
  • Behold,the truth and lies that it keeps behind..
  • Mood: Relieved Relieved

• View Profile
Re: RNG and ZS Chest Appearance
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 05:44:23 AM »
Does the PS model also make a difference when entering other areas such as Cerobi Steppe to spawn chests?

Life is never easy for Game-addicted humes

FF12GrandMaster

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 06:01:42 AM »
It will be different but as the chests usually have a much greater chance of spawning than just the 10% for the ZS chest, you won't notice the difference.

Hal

• Moppet
  • Mood: Hyper Hyper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 09:46:08 AM »
77004. Hit myself 3 times then the chest appears normally every third try.

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 10:33:04 AM »
75004, for me the the magical number was 3 hits as well :D

FF12GrandMaster

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 06:22:35 PM »
Thanks. I have updated the list a will do so each time more info comes in. :)

RowdyScot

• Moppet
  • Bear is yawning...RAWR BEAR
  • Mood: Stressed Stressed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 04:18:50 AM »
I'll vouch for the 39001 to be not hitting oneself at all. :)

"Nobody knows men like Fran does." - Balthier

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard; be evil.

DragonSLAYER45

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 04:28:37 AM »
Thanks alot to whoever posted the 90001 model one.  :) I have that model and have had trouble getting a ZS. Whoever has the 39001 model is lucky for not having to hit themselves.  :P

flak76e

• Rear Guard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 06:35:45 PM »
I will post mine as soon Ashe10 post his. It will be interesting to see if he hits himself the same amount that I did or not, since we have the same ps2 ^_^

Chaos

• Global Moderator
  • Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 05:04:04 PM »
I've given this a few tries. Here's my story:

Series 75004 - Hit self 3 times

I have this model. After 10 tries the chest did not spawn. I decided to try not hitting myself. On the second try the chest spawned. I got pattern B (the one with 3-hit combo > 4-hit combo > 5-hit combo). Opened the chest and got an Elixir. After that I hit myself 3 times on the head for forgetting to equip a Diamond Armlet.

After 4 more tries without hitting myself the chest spawned again. I got some weird pattern this time (not mentioned in the FAQ). After 31 hits I got a 3-hit combo. The closest one from the FAQ was a 3-hit combo after 36 hits. I followed the suggestion and cast Cure four times. After 16 more hits I got a 4-hit combo. I was confused and decided not to do anything. After 27 hits I got the 5-hit combo and remembered to equip the armlet :)

"Most people think time is like a river that flows swift and sure in one direction, but I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you - they are wrong." ~ Prince of Persia

FF12GrandMaster

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 08:04:56 PM »
You're not the first to have left the DA off when opening the chest. :D Thanks for reporting what happened, I have updated the details in the first post. :)

LordBalthier

• Moppet
  • Mood: Energetic Energetic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 06:40:11 PM »
Hey guys, been recently playing through this and trying to get all the leet equipment, but I obviously didn't know about the forbidden chests when I started...I was wondering, will this setup work if I'm playing through ffxii on a ps3?? If not, any pointers out there that you guys can give me on getting the zodiac spear w/o dealing with the 1/1000 chance...?  thanks in advance

---And so began the story of the wanderer, the vagrant.

FF12GrandMaster

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 07:26:32 PM »
It's not good with the PS3 but it is possible as Mike65707 showed when he put it to the test. Read his posts in this thread, they might help you.

And welcome to FFTogether :)

LordBalthier

• Moppet
  • Mood: Energetic Energetic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 07:28:46 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Master, I appreciate it!

---And so began the story of the wanderer, the vagrant.

FF12GrandMaster

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 04:47:56 PM »
List is building up ok. Anyone with anymore info?