Author Topic: RNG and ZS Chest Appearance  (Read 147118 times)

Vyro

• Moppet

• View Profile
Re: RNG and ZS Chest Appearance
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 02:54:40 AM »
I'm not sure if you're housing this information on this thread FF12GrandMaster, but it's a contribution in a way - if you'd like CECHE01 hit successes. I have done 5 attempts in Barheim Passage, and smacked myself once on all attempts (cold boot) and the chest has appeared 3 out of 5 times doing this.

I would like to point out if that model sounds weird to you - it's because this is on a PS3 (80GB NTSC). Software emulation, not the EE chip. I would also like to point out, thanks to you and Mike's list - i have successfully acquired 4 Zodiac Escutcheon Shields, and 1 Zodiac Spear. You guys really are pretty unique to crack this complex series of numerics internal to the consoles.

If you are curious, cold boot means I actually turned -off- the playstation 3, including hit the switch in the back (removed all power) - i found that just hitting the power button wasn't enough. Since the PS3 has a reserve power mode, to kill it completely you have to unplug it, or turn off the switch in the back (That's just my experience).

pprincess

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Smart Smart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 03:28:01 AM »
Killing all power to the PS 3 is a significant finding, and there will be a lot of people grateful for this tip, as so many have had trouble getting the treasure manipulation trick to work. Kudos and welcome to FFT!

Vyro

• Moppet

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 11:10:23 AM »
Thanks for the welcome pprincess. I don't think it was a find on my part, it has been suggested for the PS2. I'm just letting people know that on my end I had to turn off the switch (like the PS2 was suggested by FF12GrandMaster) - The similarities between the two devices are uncanny, and it's almost an exact transition with slight differences. I'll continue to post any findings I come across in Mike's thread - So as not to confuse those who venture to this thread thinking my input is for PS2 consoles when indeed it's for PS3.

salamander

• Moppet
  • Plz don't slay me!

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 12:05:07 PM »
I have been trying for a while to do the RNG method and get the Zodiac Spear and/or the Brave suit in Henne Mines, but everytime I try, I can't get either chest to spawn...I think it has to do with hitting yourself before entering that map. My PS2 is slim and the model number is 77001 and I couldn't find any info for how many times I have to hit myself.

Does anyone else have this PS2 model number?

Behold! I am Salamander, the randomly biased~

Vampirlord 17

• Vanguard
  • A butler to DIE for.
  • Mood: Thoughtful Thoughtful

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 05:09:21 PM »
Well GM,il try to test around with my weird number FC3616266,and to tell u how to spawn it(but its actualy weird,cuz u might get the chest even without getting the exact combination,becuse u can hit urself 2 times,and need actualy,lets say 3 times,and the chest is there,cuz there is still the 1/1000 chance thatl come so it would be hard getting right combination of hits,so it needs to be tested,becuse some may have obtained it with 1/1000 chance,or isnt it possible if hitting urself with bad combo)?

LordBalthier

• Moppet
  • Mood: Energetic Energetic

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 06:08:05 PM »
Vyro, I'm wondering, how did you go about getting your zodiac spear, as I'm using an NTSC ps3 80g...how many times did you hit yourself before going in, and I'm assuming that you had cast all the necessary spells, (ie, float, bubble, etc), then saved and loaded from a cold start...I've never been able to get the chest to spawn at a consistent rate...any input you have would help!

---And so began the story of the wanderer, the vagrant.

Hal

• Moppet
  • Mood: Hyper Hyper

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 07:12:59 PM »
Well GM,il try to test around with my weird number FC3616266,and to tell u how to spawn it(but its actualy weird[...]
That´s the serial number, not the Model Number. You find that on the bottom of the PS2 over the serial Number. Or you find it in the Menu of your PS2. Press Triangle there and then look at the first line. The name is SCHP-.....

FFAdict

• Hedge Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 07:54:48 PM »
I have been trying for a while to do the RNG method and get the Zodiac Spear and/or the Brave suit in Henne Mines, but everytime I try, I can't get either chest to spawn...I think it has to do with hitting yourself before entering that map. My PS2 is slim and the model number is 77001 and I couldn't find any info for how many times I have to hit myself.

Does anyone else have this PS2 model number?

I have a slim 77001 and hitting myself 1 time before Phase 2 Dig spawned 38 ZS chests in 100 tries. Don't know about Brave Suit though

Vampirlord 17

• Vanguard
  • A butler to DIE for.
  • Mood: Thoughtful Thoughtful

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
Quote from: Hal
That´s the serial number, not the Model Number. You find that on the bottom of the PS2 over the serial Number. Or you find it in the Menu of your PS2. Press Triangle there and then look at the first line. The name is SCHP-.....

Thx man,ur just awesome.I didnt knew that THAT was the number im looking for.Its 77004,witch would be 3 times,or 5 like there stands.Thx,il try it tomorrow right away,to get the spear,and if it realy works(well,i already finished a lots of foes,so the spear might realy come late) than im gonna praise u in the whole forum here GM,and thx to u to Hal again. ;D

Vyro

• Moppet

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2009, 01:44:30 AM »
Vyro, I'm wondering, how did you go about getting your zodiac spear, as I'm using an NTSC ps3 80g...how many times did you hit yourself before going in, and I'm assuming that you had cast all the necessary spells, (ie, float, bubble, etc), then saved and loaded from a cold start...I've never been able to get the chest to spawn at a consistent rate...any input you have would help!

My setup was the following LordBalthier:
Vaan, Level 81, Gambits (Self: Attack), (Self: Float), (Self: Bubble)
Equipment: Zodiac Escutcheon, Cameo Belt, Circlet, Grand Armor
Penelo, Level 83, Gambits (Self: Immobilize),
Equipment: Indigo Pendant

Start off at the Crystal Dispel Vaan, and let him recast Bubble + Float. Go into your menu, and set Battle Speed to the slowest, also disable the gambit (Self: Attack) You will need this once you reach the chest. (Basically prepare for the run)

Once you have all your settings configured, save at the Gold Crystal, and power off the PS3, and hit the power switch in the back of it as well. I found my attempt of spawning the chest to work a lot better if I turned off the switch in the back.

Now power it back on, and load into your last save, immediately hold down R2 and make it to the first zone (remember each zone movies the RNG - you have to cross two zone lines to make it to the chest - so calculate this in) - Your first zone is crossed, when you reach the zone line for the shaft to the chest - Smack yourself twice here (TAKE 0 damage and you must NOT block) (FF12GM even says this the faqs)

Now, put away Vaan once you cross the zone line, and pull out Penelo, let her cast Immobilize on herself, and then pull out Vaan; the minute the green serpent like animation begins lowering from her legs pull out Vaan (This is the quickest you can pull him out without him being Immobilized)

Begin immediately holding R2 (After switching leader to Vaan) and begin down the shaft, you will approach the first 3 bats, and if you are quick enough you can pass all of them without taking damage. I find hugging the left wall to be the most effective in this manner, but still not a 100%.

Once you past those 3 bats, the rest is simplistic, just get by using the Immobilize Glitch - it's those 3 that  you cannot glitch and you must manuver around without taking damage.

If you do happen to get Gnawed, or Syphoned, don't fret - you just have to calculate in 2 hits (this is the best result I've found) - when you begin hitting yourself at the chest.

If you have any other questions let me know - sorry for the long post Admins. I'm just trying to help a fellow PS3 user out.

FF12GrandMaster

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2009, 03:47:49 AM »
Don't worry about post length, Vyro, the maximum is 20,000 characters. :D

An interesting note for those who like to mess around with things to try and improve their situation. I wasn't in a gaming mood today so I messed about with the RNG and spawning the ZS chest. Now how this will compare to other models, I don't know, but it might encourage you all to mess about and experiment a little. My model is a 39003 Fat PS2 and I have discovered something that vastly improves the chances of spawning the ZS chest. I was lucky to find this. I had my character ready to make the run when I realised they had no float on. Normally I save with float and libra but this was the first time in Henne today. I thought 'Meh' and cast float anyway whilst by the Gate Crystal and then entered the Ore Separation. I hit myself twice which is normal for my model, entered the Phase 2 Dig and then made my way to the chest. It was there and I got a Zodiac Spear. I went back, saved and rebooted. I cast float again, hit myself twice, entered the Phase 2 Dig and went for the chest. It was there again. I kept repeating this and the chest kept spawning. After 6 Zodiac Spears the chest was missing but this time the Brave Suit chest was there so I got that. To cut a long story short it seems that by casting float when by the Gate Crystal I changed the RNG into an exceptional position which resulted in a 70%+ spawning rate. :o Four times out of 14 the chest wasn't there but on three of those occasions the Brave Suit chest was there instead. Only once did I not get either of those 2 chests. I need to test this more because it was a shortish test but in 14 attempts for the Zodiac Spear I got 10 ZS chests (and 10 Spears thanks to the 100% RNG Guide ;D), 3 Brave Suit chests and one run where I got neither of them. 10/14 is a fraction over 70% which is phenomenal for a 10% chest. Try experimenting with your own PS2 and see if you can improve the chest's spawning rate. :)

Vyro

• Moppet

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2009, 08:37:13 AM »
A little feedback FF12GrandMaster, for the CHECHE01 (80GB NTSC PS3).
I tried your new discovered float technique, and it only seemed to remain 2/10 attempts. I did 30 total. I then instead tried 'experimenting' like you suggested, and struck myself with thundara - no improvement, I tried poisoning myself, no improvement, and I tried curing myself (cura) before zoning + the hits. I put about 4 hours into this total.

I finally found that, float, thundara, nor cura made any improvement; but -HASTE- did improve the spawrate from 8/30 to 14/30 - That's almost HALF 50% of the time. I kept my exact same procedure as before including smacking myself twice before entry (I'd also like to note, on a few attempts I forgot to smack myself, but the 'haste' casting seemed to null that? I'm not sure if this is significant or not. I will do more thorough testing tomorrow.)

That's all I have for now, if it's true what FF12GrandMaster is saying about casting a spell jumps the RNG to an exceptional position then I would strongly encourage all the console owners of different models to try different spells. "Float" isn't the only one you have guys :3 - for the 80GB series of the PS3, i'd like to safely say that the Zodiac Spear spawned the absolute -most- with Haste (That's my end).

Thanks again for the find FF12GrandMaster.

LordBalthier

• Moppet
  • Mood: Energetic Energetic

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 03:52:59 PM »
hmm....will try this tonight when I get home...thanks for all the info Vyro and GM!!....I'll also experiment myself with different spells and see if I can't come across something....

---And so began the story of the wanderer, the vagrant.

FF12GrandMaster

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2009, 05:22:15 PM »
I have done a bit more testing, though not much. Characters used (Vaan + Balthier) were both level 99 and Vaan had the Zodiac Escutcheon, Golden Skullcap, Grand Armour and Cameo Belt equipped. Float was cast on Vaan by the Gate Crystal and then Vaan hit self twice in the Ore Separation. Balthier brought out in Phase 2 Dig to cast immobilise on himself and then Vaan used to make the run to the chest.

Final results are 32 attempts, 16 ZS chests and 9 Brave Suit chests, one of which appeared with the ZS chest. This is making the ZS chest around a 50% chance which is even better than the Brave Suit chest which is supposed to spawn 2 1/2 times more often. Again, 32 attempts isn't a huge amount but although the percentage dropped from the initial test it is still a lot better than could really be expected from a 10% chest.

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round
  • Simply myself, no more and no less.
  • Mood: Relieved Relieved

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2009, 10:21:59 PM »
Is this hitting method also possible with a Seitengrate chest? So say if you hit 3 times in Ore Separation for ZS... say you're in Nalbina, and you hit yourself 3 times as well for that model. Then IIRC you count up 2 hits for every time you go through a zone line, so 3+2=5 for getting into Jajim Bazaar, then +2 for getting into the main area, then +2 for getting into the Aerodrome, +2 for getting on the ship, and then +2 for entering the Deck.

In total that's 13 hits for my model. So is it possible to increase Seitengrate chest chances like that for the first time, like the ZS? Then if there's no bow, reset, it could increase chests by a lot, even if you do have to reset, no? Just a thought.

SwordStealer is my twin from across the country! ;D