Author Topic: Haven: The Tale of Haldin Ixialt [PG-13]  (Read 2852 times)

Judge Magister Gabranth

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Content Content

• View Profile
Haven: The Tale of Haldin Ixialt [PG-13]
« on: December 07, 2009, 01:06:54 AM »
You know him from TaB, but is there a secret past behind this character?

[Coming Soon to a Forum Near You]

Judge Magister Gabranth

• Knight of the Round

• View Profile
Prologue/Chapter the First
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 04:51:19 AM »
Haven: The Tale of Haldin Ixialt
Book I: Young Blood

Chapter The First
     The World of Laguna was compared to Heaven itself, and also Hell. A planet of both war and peace, it was a rather strange place. In the center of this world was the sparkling Utopia of Luna, named after the moon herself. Luna was filled with very rich and powerful families, one of which was the family of Ixialt. Recently born into this family was a young child by the age of 1, and by the name of Haldin. He was named after the ancient warrior who caged a beast named Pandora and gave it to the Moon as a gift.
   The Family of Ixialt considered Haldin the greatest gift of all, and promised the King of Luna that he would one day serve him. Haldin grew up with an older brother named Daylien. He was five years of age at this time, and his father was already teaching him how to fight. Haldin would sit in amazement. Of course, you must realize, he was only an infant. He knew nothing now, but in due time he would become one of Luna’s greatest soldiers.

The sudden chatter of sparrows made Haldin’s eyes fling open. His day had begun. He rose from his bed and waltzed over to his closet, gathering his finest apparel and putting them on. Today was a very special day. The day of his entrance to the world. Servants of his fathers, and now of his, stormed into the room.
“Would you like a foot bath, master?”
“Your hair is in no condition to leave the house. Shall I wash it for you?”
“Please, master, don’t strain yourself. Allow us to dress you.”
   Haldin, though enjoying the attention, refused.
“Please, please, my friends” Haldin began, “I require no aid of yours right now. Just allow me the pleasure of clothing myself in peace and I will be content.”
“Yes, master.” The servants replied, bowing while exiting the room and closing the door.
   Life had never been so forgiving to him. Today was a new day with new people, and there was nothing standing in his way.
   Once he was fully clothed, Haldin left his room and followed the sapphire hallway to the foyer, where his father had told him to report at exactly thirty minutes past midday. Upon entrance to said foyer, his heart nearly jumped out of his chest when hundreds of people popped out of their hiding places and screamed “Surprise!” He smiled and clapped as his father approached him.
“My boy, today marks your sixteenth year in this family. You are a man, now. However, with this day comes certain responsibility.” His father told him in a firm, yet soothing voice.
“Certain…responsibility?”Haldin asked, trailing off into his father’s voice.
“Yes. You see, just like your brother, you’ve a duty to this country. You must become a Knight of Luna.”
“A Knight of Luna?”
“Yes. We have kept you sheltered, pampered, fed, bathed, etc. and now it is your turn. You must learn how to do things for yourself.”
“I understand completely.”
“Great. Then you should know that you start this evening. Your brother will accompany you to the academy where he lives, and where you will live for the next few years. Well, at least until you graduate.”
“Yes, sir. I’ll go ready my things.”
“No need. You won’t  need anything where you’re going. Only your bear hands and your mind.”
“I see…”
“But in the mean time, son…enjoy yourself! After all, it is your day of birth!”
   However it was difficult for Haldin to enjoy himself at such a time as this. His perfect day had been marred by the resounding voice of responsibility. He sighed and strolled over to a table covered in presents, hoping for some kind of joy.
   Pleasantly, he discovered joy not in a box, but in a school uniform.
“Hi, Haldin.” A young girl  around his age giggled to him, smiling.
“Oh, um, hi Ariel.” Haldin replied, starting to sweat as his stomach churned.
“This is a nice party.”
“Yeah, it is.” He said, scratching the back of his head whilst making a flex with his biceps.
“So you’re sixteen now?”
“Yep. That’s what the party is for, is it not?
   The two started laughing together, and then Haldin cleared his throat nervously.
“So, Ariel…um…did anyone tell you about how I’m going to the Knight’s academy today?”
“No way! You’re going to be a  Soldier?”
“Yeah! And um, you know when I get back I’ll be hardened and ready for battle.”
“Aw, that’s a shame. I kind of like the soft, sensitive, marshmallow Haldin I know.”
“Like?” Haldin said nervously, blushing with a cold sweat.
“Well, I’d better be going. Have fun at your party!” Ariel said as she smiled and waved  using only her fingers.
“B-bye!” Haldin yelled after her.
   As soon as she was gone, Haldin smiled and leaned on a nearby column. He sighed  and laughed to himself.
“Yes!” He yelled, jumping in the air.
   However, being an Angelan, he jumped too high and smacked his head on the roof. A few of his friends ran over to him to help him up, but when they rolled him over they discovered something strange. His eyes were wide open, his face was red, and he was smiling.
“Man, what happened to you?” His Kronian friend, Belledros “Bells” Verdina asked.
“Oh, nothing.” Haldin replied.
“Haldin, man, we know you. You’ve never acted this way. It’s either head trauma or a girl, right?” His Human friend , Serj Zella laughed.
“The first one, my good man.” Haldin smiled.
   Bells lifted him off the ground and placed him on his feet. Then he patted him on the back. Serj punched him in the shoulder.
“Wait to go, Haldin!” Serj laughed.
“Didn’t know you had it in you, my friend.” Bells grinned.
“Neither did I, Bells, neither did I.” Haldin laughed back.
“What’s her name?” Serj asked.
“Oh, yeah, um about that…I think you know her pretty well.” Haldin said, rubbing his arm.
“Really? I didn’t date her, right?” Serj chuckled.
“I sure hope not…because it’s your sister. Ariel.” Haldin said, half smiling.
   Serj’s smile dropped, shooting Haldin a vicious glare.
“You’re dating my little sister?” Serj yelled, violently.
“I didn’t say I was dating her. I just said I liked her.”  Haldin snarled back.
“Actually, to be fair, he didn’t say anything at all.” Bells said, trying to break the tension.
“You listen to me, Haldin. We’ve been friends since the beginning, you know that, I know that, Bells knows that! But if you so much as make her cry even a little bit, I’ll tear you apart.” Serj growled, storming off.
   Haldin held his head and ran his hand back through his long blue hair.
“So this is what it’s like to be sixteen.” He laughed, Bells joining in the laughter.

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Necessity is the oasis of true strength
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
Re: Haven: The Tale of Haldin Ixialt [PG-13]
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 01:05:16 AM »
Only two complaints. The odd word out of place here and there, easily fixed with proof reading. The main problem is paragraphing. You need to leave spacing to signify a change in backdrop. A space between Haldin's bedroom, the foyer, the party and the tree. Other than that it was perfect.

When the darkness of the Abyss threatens the world, the Phoenix will rise amidst a whirlwind of fire and light.

Whisperer: Sometimes there is a very good reason to fear the dark.

Judge Magister Gabranth

• Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 02:38:19 AM »
Strange thing is there were spaces and paragraph separations, but when I copy/pasted this it posted it in block format :P I'll edit that right away.

Judge Magister Gabranth

• Knight of the Round

• View Profile
Chapter the Second
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 05:17:55 AM »
Chapter the Second

Haldin bode farewell to his friends and some family members, and left to his room. In exactly fifteen minutes, he would leave for the academy. Lucky for him, Serj and Bells were already students there so he wouldn’t be alone. He was told not to bring any of his things, but yet he felt a need to take something. He shuffled through his drawers until he found a small, oaken puzzle box. He made a few quick hand movements, and the box opened up.
   Within the box was a small pendant with a sterling silver chain. Each bead on the chain was separated by a small topaz, and at the end of the chain was a large topaz in the form of a lion’s tooth. It was engraved and read “Slayer of Pandora” in Lutherian. He placed it around his neck and tucked it under his shirt so his father wouldn’t notice.
   Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. Daylien strolled in, smiling.
“Time to go, Haldin. Happy birthday.” Daylien winked and walked off.
   Haldin smiled back and followed his brother out of the room and to the mansion’s front gate. His mother kissed him and sent him on his way. His father shook his hand and gave him a bear hug.
“Be safe, my son.” His father whispered.
“I will, dad.” Haldin replied, his eyes watery.
   Haldin and Daylien exited the gates and boarded a small airship filled with a few other students. Daylien went to the cockpit of the ship and took the wheel. He put on a headset and spoke.
“Alright, kiddies. You’re on your way to the Stella Knight Academy. Don’t worry; no harm should occur to you until you first enter the battlefield. Even then, by the time you graduate you will be a warrior ready to take on the world and then some. Enjoy the ride and pray for luck. You’ll need it there.”
   Daylien was a proud graduate of the academy. He was currently a member of an elite team: The Sagittarius Archer Elite. He was a third seat, led by a strong leader with years of experience on the field. Daylien’s accuracy was pinpoint; he could hit a grape from a mile away in the dark.
   Haldin didn’t really know much about combat. His father had shown him technique s in hand to hand, but a Stella Knight’s main weapon was a sword or a bow, with which Haldin had no training with. An hour was left until they would reach the academy, so Haldin decided to catch up on some sleep. That is, until a boy much larger than himself approached.
“Out of my seat, shrimp.” The boy boomed.
“No thanks, I find it rather comfortable.” Haldin cockily replied.
“That wasn’t a request. It was an order!” The boy yelled.
   The boy was a Kronian that much was certain. He was at least half a foot taller than Haldin and a lot stronger judging by the size and shape of his body. He tore Haldin from his seat and placed him in another. Haldin, taught not to start trouble, did nothing but smile and relax in his new seat.

At last they reached their destination: The Stella Knights Academy. The boys exited the airship, the large boy going first after tossing Haldin out of his way. Another young boy came up to Haldin once they were off the airship.
“Don’t pay any attention to Capella. He’s bigger than most kids, but he has the IQ of a rock.” He laughed.
“I suspected as much. Hi, my name is Haldin Ixialt. Yourself?” Haldin asked as he shook the boy’s hand.
“Apollo Obsynthe. Pleasure to meet you, Haldin.” Apollo replied.
“So you’re new here, too?”
“Just as new as yourself.”
   Haldin nodded and glanced around at the gigantic school. Over by a nearby tree he noticed Bells and Serj talking.
“Here, I have some friends I’d like you to meet.” Haldin invited, already on his way over.
“Alright.” Apollo said, following.
   They were cut off by Capella, who had two Assyrian friends with him. It was like two Davids and a Goliath.
“I’m sorry, but this campus is only for big boys. So why don’t you do us all a favor and leave before things get ugly?” Capella growled. His two friends laughed and high-fived.
“If you’re on this campus, things have already gotten ugly.” Haldin replied, stepping towards the large boy.
   Capella pushed him, and Haldin stumbled back a few feet.
“Get out of my sight, twerp.” Capella bellowed.
   Suddenly a hand grabbed Capella by the shoulder. Capella whirled around, and stepped back a few steps when he saw the towering boy. The boy grabbed him by the shirt and lifted him to his eye level.
“Listen, little guy. We’re all friends here, aren’t we? You don’t have any reason to pick on them.” Bells said in a gentle voice.
“Right, got it, it won’t happen again. I promise!” Capella squealed.
   Bells dropped him and gave his Assyrian friends pats on the back, signaling them to leave as well. Capella ran off with his tail between his legs. Serj ran up next to Bells.
“Yeah! Yeah, you’d better run!” Serj shouted, waving his fist.
   He turned to Bells.
“Well, we sure showed them.” He laughed.
“You were terrifying, Serj.” Bells smirked sarcastically.

The bell rang and the students poured into the school. Haldin and his party entered with the rest of the kids. Surprisingly, a familiar face was in Haldin’s class.
“Ariel?” Haldin asked, approaching her.
“Haldin! Well, I guess I should have told you I was going here, huh?” She giggled.
“Do you mind if I sit next to you?”
“Not at all!”
   The instructor entered the room, dressed in armor. The children all rose up and saluted him by placing their right index fingers on their foreheads, then their left shoulders, then their right. They then placed their right arm across their stomachs and made a fist, their left arms straight down their sides.
“Loosen yourselves, children.” The instructor ordered.
   The children responded with a simultaneous “Yes, sir.” And sat down Indian style on small red pillows with golden tassels.
“This is your first day at Stella Knight Academy. For some of you, it will be your only. During the next month of your training and evaluation, you will experience Hell itself.” The instructor began, “You will each be assigned to missions with small squads judging by your performances and evaluations. After your missions in these squads are completed, you will undergo the Knight’s exam: A brutal test of will and combat ability that will make you or break you. For some, it will even kill you. Please report to the basic training area on the top level. That is all.”
   The class rose and exited the room. The class was small, only around 30 or 40 students which was surprising considering the fact that the Lunar military consisted of over one million men. In his class, there were only a few familiar faces: Apollo, Ariel, and Capella & Crew.

Once they reached the top level of the school, they discovered something strange. There was no top level. Just grass that led to a forest. The forest was on a huge cliff that towered over the school. The grass was on an Earthen ramp that led up to a cave, which Haldin suspected would lead them to the top of the cliff where they could see more students. Rather than use the cave entrance, Haldin took a separate route.
“Hey, Apollo, Ariel!” Haldin shouted.
“What is it?” Apollo replied.
“Come on, we’ll just climb up the cliff!” Haldin smiled.
“Are you nuts? No, I’m going with the rest of the group.” Ariel snapped.
“I’m in!” Apollo laughed and ran over to Haldin.
“Hey, runts! You takin’ a shortcut? ‘Cuz I want in!” Capella shouted after them.
“Fine, just don’t screw anything up.” Haldin sighed.
   Haldin began jumping and climbing like a spider and Apollo just ran up the cliff. Capella took the easy way and flew. Once they reached the top of the cliff, their instructors turned to them.
“Can we help you?” One of the instructors asked.
“Is this the basic training course?” Haldin asked.
“Yes…but you ARE supposed to go with your group as a part of your first evaluation.” Another instructor laughed as he marked a demerit on his clipboard.
   Apollo smacked Haldin in the back of the head. Capella punched him in the arm.
“Wait to go, squirt.” Capella growled as he stormed to the course where the other kids were waiting.

An instructor cleared his voice and shouted.
“Alright. For the first stage of your basic training, you will be doing a sparring match with the person on your left or right. Everyone choose a partner. This will test your endurance, stamina, agility, strength, and hand to hand combat abilities all at once.”
   Haldin rolled his eyes, as the person standing next to him was Capella. It was either him or Ariel, and he didn’t want to hit her.
“Are there any volunteers for first match? If so, please make your way to the large stone slab with the gray circle on it. The rest of you please gather in the stands.”
   The arena was pretty small. The stone “slab” itself was twenty feet by twenty feet. It was surrounded by grass and had tiki torches surrounding it. Capella pulled Haldin’s arm into the air along with his own.
“Sir, we’d like to volunteer.” Capella exclaimed, shooting a brief glare at Haldin.
“Alright then. Good to see you taking initiative, son.” The instructor said, pulling them to the stone square.
   He placed them on opposite sides of each other, the entire ring being between them. Capella removed his shirt, as did Haldin. The instructor gave them pairs of padded knuckle gloves. He then left the ring and yelled “GO!”

The gigantic mass of flesh and muscle bolted at Haldin, who jumped over him and rolled backwards, placing them both on opposite sides of the ring yet again. Capella turned around and slowly approached him, his hands up and ready. Haldin took a stance, bending at the knees with his fists by his knees. Capella threw a punch, dodged by Haldin. Haldin grabbed him by the arm and rolled on Capella’s back, following through with a spinning kick to Capella’s face.
   Haldin got excited, as he had never in his life been in a fight. Everything his dad had taught him was slowly coming back to him.
   The Kronian got off the ground, his nose bleeding. He punched Haldin in the chest and sent him to the ground. Haldin got on his hands and knees to regain his breath, and Capella grabbed him and slammed him against the stone. Haldin opened his eyes and noticed a foot coming down on him. He grabbed it, twisted it and rolled backwards onto Capella’s now prone body. He got back on his feet and readied himself again. Capella got up, and Haldin dashed around him and delivered an elbow into his spine. As Capella turned around, Haldin swiftly moved to his front and gave him a high knee to the chin. In the process he wrapped his legs around his neck and his hands on the back of his head, and pulled back to throw Capella on the ground. Capella got up, his knees shaking, and Haldin kicked him in the gut, throwing him into the air. Haldin jumped as high as he could, and drove his foot into Capella’s chest, pounding him straight into the ground.
   Haldin landed lightly on his feet and drew back for another punch, but the instructor grabbed his fist.
“That’s enough, son. I’m quite impressed with you, but there’s no need for you to continue your onslaught.”
“Yes, sir.”
“Will somebody please help me get this boy to the infirmary?”

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 04:13:13 PM »
Flawless apart from one spelling mistake. I eagerly await more ;).

When the darkness of the Abyss threatens the world, the Phoenix will rise amidst a whirlwind of fire and light.

Vampirlord 17

• Vanguard
  • A butler to DIE for.
  • Mood: Thoughtful Thoughtful

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 06:46:54 PM »
nice

spelling always can be fixed  ;D

Judge Magister Gabranth

• Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 01:23:39 AM »
Chapter the Third
   Haldin returned to his peers, most of them with their mouths agape. When he took his place in the stands, the children parted to let him through.
“What was that all about?” Apollo asked, frightened.
“You scared us, Haldin.” Ariel said, moving.
   Haldin sat betwixt the two and smiled cockily.
“I don’t know. Something just…clicked.” Haldin half smiled.
   Full of adrenaline, Haldin could barely sit still. His legs kept moving, he held his hands together with his elbows on his knees, and his palms were cold and moist. He wanted more…

Four hours later, the sparring matches were finally through. Twenty or so children had been sent to the infirmary or sent home for backing out. A little less than twenty were left. The instructor cleared his throat once more.
“Alright, listen up!” He began, “Less than half of those that were here before are left. The remaining soldiers will be divided into groups of three. Please step forward as your Instructor calls your names.”
   The second instructor stepped forward.
“Each of you will be paired up in threes, and at the end of this week you will face off against groups of children in your age range. Step forward as I call your names. Ariel Zella, Capella Valentin, Maso Peregrine. You are squad no. 1. Please report to the largest tent on your left for your confirmation process. The next squad is…”
   Haldin rolled his eyes with boredom. Ariel walked by him, not even making eye contact. Since Capella was in the infirmary, the only one with her was Maso. Which would mean they were a couple…Haldin shot Maso a glare, letting him know that they were certainly not friends. Maso just kept on smiling.

It was at least a half an hour, maybe more until Haldin’s name was called.
“The final squad is,” The instructor bellowed, “Haldin Ixialt, Frost Rayne, and Apollo Obsynthe. Please report to the largest tent on your left for your confirmation process.”
   Haldin finally rose, brushing his hair out of his face by running his fingers back through it. Apollo was in his squad, which was a plus, but the girl he saw was an unfamiliar face. What was shocking was, well, she was beautiful. Her eyes were a pale blue and her hair was cerulean. It was obvious that she was an Angelan. As Haldin and Apollo made their way to the tent, Frost ran to catch up.
“Hi…” She said in a sweet, seraphic voice, “I’m Frost! I guess you two guys are my teammates now?”
“Apparently, yes.” Apollo replied.
“Glad to make your acquaintance, Frost.” Haldin said, kissing her hand.
   Frost blushed and went ahead into the tent first.
“What was that?” Apollo sternly asked.
“Whatever do you mean, Apollo?” Haldin smiled sarcastically.
“Listen, Haldin. We’re all on a team now. I don’t need your emotions getting in the way of progress, are we understood?”
“Please, Apollo. Lighten up already!”
“Ironic, coming from you.”
   Apollo stormed into the tent. He stood next to Frost at the confirmation desk at the doorway. Haldin followed, his eyes gleaming with confusion and anger. He took his place next to Frost and Apollo. The woman at the desk spoke.
“Very well. You all are now Squad 5. Your most common attribute is speed, the reason why you are all together. Congratulations. You are now official trainees at the Stella Academy.”

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 02:31:46 AM »
Brilliantly written, keep it up man. NOW READ MINE PLEASE!  ;D ;D ;D

FFZell

• Brave Companion
  • Vos plus mihi par fatum
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 11:50:37 AM »
This is pretty good!  I am eagerly awaiting more ;D

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Nostrum verus vita est ut nos es in nostrum somnium suscitatio - Henry David Thoreau

CrescentFox

• Brave Companion
  • 千羽鶴: 23/1000
  • Mood: Indescribable Indescribable

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 04:45:55 AM »
Interesting :D. Nice to know more about Haldin ;)

KainCrow

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Kain the Crow of Crow Valley!
  • Mood: Embarrassed Embarrassed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 10:01:10 AM »
I like it very much, interesting as well. Really, an academy life in Luna.. Gives a lot of things to imagine, something more to think about.

Kain the Crow of the Crow Valley, Mischievous and Unpredictable D.S.
By the way, who know the relationship b/w a fox and a crow?

Judge Magister Gabranth

• Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 04:25:14 AM »
Thanks for the comments :) more's on the way as soon as I finish a few oneshots. Been locked in a writer's block for a few weeks now :P