Author Topic: Famitsu Review - 39/40  (Read 6370 times)

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Necessity is the oasis of true strength
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
Re: Famitsu Review - 39/40
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2009, 05:49:19 PM »
Sorry if it sounded offensive. I know SOME are that immature but it's simply not possible for all the ones who posted stuff like that to be that immature. And if you read the entire thread some people actually had to say that they were kidding.

When the darkness of the Abyss threatens the world, the Phoenix will rise amidst a whirlwind of fire and light.

Whisperer: Sometimes there is a very good reason to fear the dark.

ChaosWOTW

• Moppet
  • Bringing this fantasy to it's conclusion
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2009, 10:20:43 PM »
Sounds like a perfect score to me. I was expecting more of this Famitsu score than a 40/40. Anyway, I'm not going to buy FFXIII based off this review or any other review.

"Gone talking to a wall... -Squall, victory quote in Dissidia

xkeyblademasterx07

• Brave Companion
  • I am the bullet in the gun
  • Mood: Confused Confused

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2009, 03:16:37 AM »
i've also heard really positive things about the battle system. in FF XII the battle system was very addictive and this one looks like it will have more action in it which i welcome ;D

can't wait till march next year, i decided not to get the japanese version since i won't be able to understand the storyline and thats no fun  :( if only i knew japanese.....XD

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so -William Shakespeare

"I'm no hero. Never was. Never will be. I'm just an old killer here to do some wetwork"- Solid Snake

MegaFun

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Mood: Energetic Energetic

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2009, 03:28:07 AM »
I don't really know which one to get. I'm that impatient so I might get the JP version.. I'm used to a bit of Japanese and I'm sure people would already have small translation/script guides few days after its release.

On the other hand, SE is hinting on a Western demo (speculation here: http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9964) soon. If that's actually true, then I can wait for the NA version.

xkeyblademasterx07

• Brave Companion
  • I am the bullet in the gun
  • Mood: Confused Confused

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2009, 03:40:28 AM »
id reccomend waiting it'll just be better if you can hear the emotion in the words rather than reading it on a computer screen. but its your choice, you can always buy something else to keep occupied till march

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so -William Shakespeare

"I'm no hero. Never was. Never will be. I'm just an old killer here to do some wetwork"- Solid Snake

Sentinel

• Hedge Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2009, 04:23:37 AM »
I will be buying the JP version as I've been waiting too long for this game. XD I still got time since I didn't preorder or anything. If I decide to wait, there's plenty of JRPG's that I spend my time with. (White Knight Chronicles, Star Ocean: The Last Hope International)

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round
  • Simply myself, no more and no less.
  • Mood: Relieved Relieved

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2009, 04:31:01 AM »
Lucky you... I just found out that even I get FFXIII on March 9th, I won't be able to play it at ALL until my ACT tests are over, which is April 28th... Nearly TWO months after it's release!!!!! >:(

I wanna read that review though! :P I loved Famitsu's FFXII review, although since then they've been handing out a number of crazy scorings...

Sucks to be me. I'll be watching Erin stream it like every second I'm able.

SwordStealer is my twin from across the country! ;D

MegaFun

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Mood: Energetic Energetic

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2009, 04:36:59 AM »
I will be buying the JP version as I've been waiting too long for this game. XD I still got time since I didn't preorder or anything. If I decide to wait, there's plenty of JRPG's that I spend my time with. (White Knight Chronicles, Star Ocean: The Last Hope International)

That's true, I didn't preorder it too. If for some reason I decide to get the English version, SO4 can keep me busy until then. But still I'm too impatient for that D:

If I'm getting the NA version I'd have to avoid the majority of the internet from December 18 - March 9 too :P << doesn't want to be spoiled.

Sentinel

• Hedge Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2009, 04:43:05 AM »
Another English Review of the game gave the game a 7/10. Still a good score and I don't care for reviews anyway. But if want to read the review, here it is. It DOES contain spoilers though: http://rpgland.com/games/reviews/final-fantasy-xiii-japanese/

Phoenix

• Hedge Knight
  • The Dark Messenger
  • Mood: Thoughtful Thoughtful

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2009, 10:27:46 AM »
I will still buy XIII regardless of any negative point in a review. Since XIII's release, people have been turning FFXIII's minor problems into a huge deal. About Famitsu, I was expecting a not perfect score in the first place: Famitsu's perfect scoring is rare anyway.

Ally

• Newsletter
  • Brave Companion
  • Believe
  • Mood: Exhausted Exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2010, 09:48:16 PM »
Two reviews came out from NowGamer and Electronic Theatre... both giving the game mixed opinions over the no towns and healing after battles.

I don't see why people are making a big fuss over things like there being no towns and being healed after each battle. Going to towns is a waste of time really. Talking to useless NPCs, staying at Inns... I just want to move on with the story. You do need to be healed after each battle because of the difficulty. Plus, it allows the game to move at a nice pace instead of stopping to heal everyone with magic or items. I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews of the English version. Not that those reviews are going to change my mind about getting the game. I have seen pretty much everything in the game from watching rinimt play. It made me want the game even more.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 09:51:41 PM by Ally »

Sentinel

• Hedge Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2010, 01:14:48 AM »
I don't care for reviews, but I have a feeling that this game may have mixed opinions here in the west. Here's hoping not. Actually, there is one review that I made me hate reviews even more because they are getting so biased.  ::) A Hong Kong reviewer gave the game a 4/10 and flunked it completely. Without barely giving an opinion at all.

http://ps3.kombo.com/article.php?artid=11740

Let me just highlight some points...

Quote from: Reviewer
Graphics: 9.0 - "Full marks here."

Me: Um... no. 9.0 is not a full mark, give it a 10 and THEN you will have a full mark.

"biggest joke of 2009."

Me: Well, this game isn't a 2009 basically. It's all completely 2010.

Scenario: 2.0 — "An epic tear jerker"

Me: If it is "epic" saying you were trying to hold back tears, why the 2.0/10?

"biggest swindle in gaming history"

Me: This person OBVIOUSLY has a bone to pick with Square Enix.

Now I'm not sure if this is the full review, but if it is, this person should be fired. I wouldn't even call this crap a review and it's more like a fanboy that got caught up in the hype and was completely disappointed and therefore, criticized every point in the game.

Whatever, they did the same thing with FFXII. I loved that game and I love this one.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 01:20:28 AM by Sentinel »

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2010, 10:26:22 AM »
That's why a good reason is so important in a review. If you ask me you can crack down the game as much as you want in a review as long as you give your opinion why.

I think more people will bash this game down mainly because it removed a lot of common RPG elements. I've taken a quick look on the FFXIII GameFAQs board the other day, but all you see there are fan boys complaining about the game. Some even don't know the what they are talking about. Those topics are funny though. They act like the know everything about the game, but in fact they know nothing :P

Personally I would probably give this game a score around 9/10. Its a really decent game, but they could have made some great improvements on a few things.

The major things I personally miss would be the real lack of mini games (side quests). Those missions are great, but just like the hunts in FFXII I would have rather seen a mini game like the card games from FFVIII & FFIX or Blitzball from FFX. Some that takes your mind of fighting monsters for a moment.

The second thing is the lack of variation in monsters. You really get the feeling that every chapter has the same monsters though with increased stats and painted in a different color.

The third is not being able to backtrack previous areas. Throughout the story itself you can't go back to previous area's at all and once the game is over you are limited to a few areas as well. You can redo the ending (chapter 13) visit a small part of chapter 12, or go back to chapter 11. Luckily chapter 11 is however a massive non linear area.