Author Topic: White Knight Chronicles  (Read 21131 times)

Sentinel

• Hedge Knight

• View Profile
White Knight Chronicles
« on: December 14, 2009, 04:36:31 AM »
A game coming soon for the PS3 (I mentioned in the Famitsu review thread in the FFXIII Board). The game has been out for about a year in Japan, scoring a 29/40 by Famitsu itself. But, besides it's lukewarm review, the game sold well. It was first shown at E3 2009 to be announced for Western and PAL audiences with a few remade touches.

Now it'll be coming to the PS3 on Feb. 2, 2010 for NA. Anyone want to get this game? Here are two trailers for the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClAkKsMKlMA E3 Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_upvNxiMIM Gamescom Trailer

I wasn't originally going to get it, but after seeing the gameplay and a few boss fights (including enemies), I decided to get it.

kokushishin

• Brave Companion

• View Profile
Re: White Knight Chronicles
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 12:12:53 AM »

I have interest in it as it's a Level-5 game, but I don't know it's one I'm going to rush out and buy ASAP.

MegaFun

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Mood: Energetic Energetic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 05:17:28 AM »
It actually looks good, and I might just get it if I have the money.

Sheesh, 2010 will burn a hole through my wallet.

Spee

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Endure and survive.
  • Mood: Thoughtful Thoughtful

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 10:25:01 PM »
Looks like a good game, I wouldn't mind getting it either. But, it reminds me of Legend of Dragoon for some reason.

Zemnus

• Moppet
  • ebullient future
  • Mood: Happy Happy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 10:44:47 PM »
I got this game back in January. I personally enjoyed it and was stunned by the cutscene graphics. The cutscenes hardly showed up from as far as I played, but they are great.

It is one of the better PS3 RPGs imo. Had a couple little problems I would like to be fixed up. Not serious problems either. I think just the fact that they made an online mode made Famitsu give it such a poor score.That is where most of their criticism came from anyway.

I personally liked it a lot, but depending on game releases I might have to wait on this one. Star Ocean International, Resonance of Fate, and probably Final Fantasy XIII will be coming first on my list in terms of RPGs. Like Megaman said, 2010 has a good start for the year. I doubt I can keep up with it all while being in college, but I wouldn't mind playing this again since I already have it.

DragonSLAYER45

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 11:40:25 PM »
I've been eying this game for almost a year now, saw one of the boss fights and the graphics looked superb. The enemies almost appear to be bigger than Final Fantasy XIII's enemies may be.  :o (Is every RPG turning into Shadow of the Colossus? lol  :P) Battle System somehow reminds me of FF12's and yes, it does remind me of Legend of Dragoon a little bit also. Shame Famitsu had to give this a 29/40 because this looks like a really great game.

I'll have to decide on either this game or Star Ocean The Last Hope International though. The last one I'll have to buy after exams in the Spring are over possibly.  :-\ I've already played SO4 on the 360 though and I'm more interested in this game ATM, so I may get this first.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 11:43:34 PM by DragonSLAYER45 »

Sentinel

• Hedge Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 02:23:05 AM »
One thing I forgot to add, White Knight Chronicles 2: Awakening of Light and Darkness is in production. (Even though the NA version of the first one hasn't even been released. Talk about spoilers. :P) First unveiled at TGS 2009, but was leaked out to the public by a July 2009 issue of Famitsu.

Anyway, here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=709bIsNF-fI

xkeyblademasterx07

• Brave Companion
  • I am the bullet in the gun
  • Mood: Confused Confused

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 11:56:06 PM »
i haven't seen much about this game, whats the gameplay like?

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so -William Shakespeare

"I'm no hero. Never was. Never will be. I'm just an old killer here to do some wetwork"- Solid Snake

DragonSLAYER45

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 04:22:48 AM »
I consider the battle system similar to FF12's tastes. Battle Mode is automatically set when enemies are around. It is less than a month till WKC's NA release (I will attempt to get this), and it is going to be called "International" on the boxart. Which probably means they fixed the problems stated from Famitsu's lukewarm review.

Sixty

• Order of Ambrosia
  • "To your own self be true. All rests upon you."
  • Mood: Exhausted Exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 11:09:32 AM »
oh i am definitely gonna get it, its about time it comes to Europe. cant wait.

For Honor The strongest of all warriors are these two: Time and Patience.

Ally

• Newsletter
  • Brave Companion
  • Believe
  • Mood: Exhausted Exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 02:11:59 AM »
I have about $200 saved up. 55 goes to this game and approx. 120 go to Final Fantasy XIII and Star Ocean: The Last Hope International. Now that I have a PS3, I want to fill up my library with RPG games first, lol.  :P

If Online gameplay was really the "highlight" of Famitsu's criticisms, I'll just stay away from it and focus on the game itself.

Sentinel

• Hedge Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 02:47:53 AM »
For those that live in Europe, the official release date is 2-26-2010.

I consider the battle system similar to FF12's tastes. Battle Mode is automatically set when enemies are around. It is less than a month till WKC's NA release (I will attempt to get this), and it is going to be called "International" on the boxart. Which probably means they fixed the problems stated from Famitsu's lukewarm review.
The combat system is nothing like FFXII, you may think that what you do is just set Gambits like in FFXII, but it couldn't be far from it. What you essentially do is set up "combos". Let me explain (and hopefully convince anyone else hovering this forum to get this game)...

You have 8 boards, one for each of the 8 classes... and, for sake of ease, I'm going to refer to it as the "Sphere License Board (SLB)" - it's quite similar to them....

Anyway, with the 8 SLB's you have passive enhancements and abilities, passive enhancements mean things like Increase Magic or Strength... abilities mean "Fire, forward attack, Ice, etc..." These are all unlocked via the SLB. The thing to note is that as well as element, the attacks also have a direction. So for example, you may have an up direction, forward direction and down direction. What this means is that if you were to put it into a combo, you could execute it in the order I've mentioned. If the enemy is small enough, what this will then do is throw them into the air, attack them a bit more there, and then throw them back into the ground for what I believe to be some extra damage... And all these "Combo's" have to be set up in the "Combo Pallete" (you have three palets, which can store upto 7 combinations each, meaning you have 21 combos to choose from), and you do just that - you CHOOSE which one you want to use, and you base it on how the battle is going and what the enemy is like and stuff.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 02:53:07 AM by Sentinel »

xkeyblademasterx07

• Brave Companion
  • I am the bullet in the gun
  • Mood: Confused Confused

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 07:05:53 AM »
i might not be able to get this game till summer cause FF XIII is going to drain my wallet but nevertheless im definitely interested in getting it

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so -William Shakespeare

"I'm no hero. Never was. Never will be. I'm just an old killer here to do some wetwork"- Solid Snake

Sentinel

• Hedge Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 04:47:54 AM »
I am looking forward to spending the 100 hours, possibly more to get the trophies that this game has in store.  ;D I'm spending the last week playing (and hopefully completely finish) Final Fantasy XIII. After that, my attention goes to this. Not sure if I want to do GeoRama yet, depends how well my internet will work and how good my "avatar" is.

Actually, if anyone here is planning on getting the game and using GeoRama, then I may reconsider.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 04:50:11 AM by Sentinel »

pprincess

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Smart Smart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 03:37:44 AM »
Oy oy oy, you bet I'm getting this game and it is NEXT ON MY WANT LIST. I found out that you can build a house for your avatar AND BEST OF ALL there are missions that can be done as 3 player multiplayer!! yayayayay I plan to get this and I want all my friends to get it because multiplayer rocks. It's sooo much fun to be able to play with anybody from FFT.