Author Topic: Yellow Light of Death? (PS3)  (Read 10734 times)

Ally

• Newsletter
  • Brave Companion
  • Believe
  • Mood: Exhausted Exhausted

• View Profile
Yellow Light of Death? (PS3)
« on: February 17, 2010, 11:47:52 PM »
Okay, I have been reading articles lately about PS3 hardware technical problems; one of them is the Yellow Light of Death. Similar to the 360's Red Ring of Death. As none of these articles show how often a PS3 gets this; I wanted to ask here. Has anyone experienced a YLOD and how often does a PS3 get it?

I have just recently gotten a PS3 two months ago, so I thought it would be best to know about this just in case. This YLOD has got me a bit frightened and sounds just as bad as the RROD.

Metal Chocobo

• Vanguard
  • Pushing buttons since 1991
  • Mood: Thoughtful Thoughtful

• View Profile
Re: Yellow Light of Death? (PS3)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 12:09:17 AM »
I've never heard of it before and a lot of people with PS3s tend to boast that it is better because it doesn't do ring of death. I don't think it's all that likely to happen.

Push the button. That's why it's there. If it wasn't meant to be pushed, it wouldn't be a button.

xkeyblademasterx07

• Brave Companion
  • I am the bullet in the gun
  • Mood: Confused Confused

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 01:07:58 AM »
one of my friends got it, but that was because he had one of the launch models

they say the ones that are most vulnerable are the 20GB and 60GB models

just make sure your PS3 has some space for ventilation and don't play for like 5 hours straight all the time. it is usually caused by overheating which comes from when people don't properly ventilate it by putting somewhere where it can't "breath"

hope that helped i could look some more stuff about it if you want

also if you have the newer slim model you shouldn't have to worry about anything since it produces a lot less heat/takes up a lot less energy to run. its not very common on even the fat models anyway

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 01:09:35 AM by xkeyblademasterx07 »

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so -William Shakespeare

"I'm no hero. Never was. Never will be. I'm just an old killer here to do some wetwork"- Solid Snake

Ally

• Newsletter
  • Brave Companion
  • Believe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 01:13:30 AM »
I have the 80GB PS3, so that means it's "very unlikely" to happen on this model?

Sentinel

• Hedge Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 01:18:04 AM »
Well, it is actually very unlikely to happen on PS3s in general. As keyblade stated, give your PS3s breaks and plenty of room for ventilation so it doesn't overheat. Making it overheat is the main problem, as the yellow light of death's main cause is it burning out the PS3s CPU drive. It is very unlikely to happen if you do at least one of these things, you should be fine. You are more likely to get a RROD than a YLOD, but are very likely to see a YLOD than a GBOD (Green Block of Death - Wii. Even though I think this is a rumor) . It sucks if you do get, and you will have to pay Sony a fat $150 or less if you want it fixed. Not to mention you lose all your game data and the game you were playing (it is possible that the PS3 will turn off during gameplay, if this happens...) will be stuck in there. You can fix it yourself, the better and cheaper method; but it's only okay to fix it yourself if you are good with mechanics. Otherwise, save up for a new PS3 or buy a new one.

IIRC, the PS3s overall failure rate is about 1% so I don't think you have much to worry about, especially if you recently gotten a PS3. Where it shouldn't fail unless it was recently used (although game stores refurbish them) My PS3 is a 160gb model and has been going since Christmas 2008 w/o YLOD.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 01:28:54 AM by Sentinel »

MegaFun

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Mood: Energetic Energetic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 01:23:00 AM »
I have the 80 GB model for a year now and no problems with it so far.

Like keyblade said, just make sure it's well ventilated. You can feel the heat difference when you play your PS3 for hours in an open space or when it is closed up in some confined space.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 01:24:48 AM by MegaFun »

RedChocobo

• Brave Companion
  • Wark?
  • Mood: Thoughtful Thoughtful

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 01:40:19 AM »
Nope, nothing.
No one I know got it so far...

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Necessity is the oasis of true strength
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 01:58:11 AM »
Very, VERY unlikely to happen on the 80 GB model. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep it well-ventilated like everyone has said.

When the darkness of the Abyss threatens the world, the Phoenix will rise amidst a whirlwind of fire and light.

Whisperer: Sometimes there is a very good reason to fear the dark.

Tidus

• Moppet
  • Mood: Lazy Lazy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 11:45:41 PM »
May be a bit too late but my YLOD 1st happened about 3 years after playing on my Ps3, i also did play my Ps3 everyday for hours on end.

"You think you just die and everything'll be sugar and rainbows?!"

Zeikuu

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Puts the Pro in Procrastination
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 10:10:34 AM »
hehe this is what makes me laugh is that everybody boasts that the YLOD is a lot less likely to happen than RROD yet my friend got an 80GB PS3 and played it 2 hours a day and got YLOD within 3 weeks. HE then bought a new one from a totally different shop and did the same and got YLOD within 6 weeks.

Yet his 360 he has had for 2 years that he has played 7 hours straight every day has had no problems like my 360 so thats my part on this.

SwordStealer

• Knight of the Round
  • "I'm going to punch the donuts out of your hair."

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 11:32:59 PM »
How often will this happen. My goth friend would like to know.

wee187 is my twin from across the country!

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 08:47:47 AM »
How often will this happen. My goth friend would like to know.
The chances of it happening with a new PS3 (or XBox360 for that mather) is really low, both consoles have been on the market long enough to filter out the main cause for problems like this.

hehe this is what makes me laugh is that everybody boasts that the YLOD is a lot less likely to happen than RROD yet my friend got an 80GB PS3 and played it 2 hours a day and got YLOD within 3 weeks. HE then bought a new one from a totally different shop and did the same and got YLOD within 6 weeks.
That's just one individual cause which is indeed funny. However things like that happen. They also said that the Guitars of Guitar hero 4 would break quite easily. I bought one on the release and mine still works perfect, my little brother on the other hand has already broken 4 of those guitars ::)

The main reason why RROD was so popular is because Microsoft tried to cover it up, while the first releases of there console was definitely broken. As of now I don't think either of the consoles will break much sooner.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 08:53:37 AM by Da_Cloud »

Sixty

• Order of Ambrosia
  • "To your own self be true. All rests upon you."

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 09:59:20 AM »
Its not only the console, most of the its about how you are using it. Iclean my ps3 every 2 a 3 weeks. let the dust blow out the back, put a cleaner for the lens in it. your console will stay alive longer.

For Honor The strongest of all warriors are these two: Time and Patience.

Someddrnoob

• Order of Ambrosia
  • I'll finish you in one strike! - Yukiko Amagi
  • Mood: Stressed Stressed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 12:40:07 AM »
My PS3 has the YLOD. That is all.

Remember, Reimi is watching you... Don't get slapped!

SwordStealer

• Knight of the Round
  • "I'm going to punch the donuts out of your hair."

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 12:48:15 AM »
Oh noes, post a picture... ;D I wanna see what it looks like.

wee187 is my twin from across the country!