Author Topic: FFXIII is not an RPG  (Read 16034 times)

flak76e

• Rear Guard

• View Profile
FFXIII is not an RPG
« on: February 23, 2010, 02:36:54 PM »
According to producer Yoshinori Kitase, though, that's absolutely what the FFXIII team was aiming for. As far as Kitase is concerned, FFXIII isn't even really a role-playing game. "We didn't really intend to work within with the RPG template,t

"Because players are presented with multiple different situations on the field, in a lot of senses FFXIII is more like an FPS than an RPG," says director Motomu Toriyama."

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3178060

« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 02:59:35 PM by flak76e »

FF12GrandMaster

Re: FFXIII is not an RPG
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 09:35:27 PM »
And people wonder why I, an RPG player, don't like the sound of FFXIII. I think Kitase's comments speak volumes.

xkeyblademasterx07

• Brave Companion
  • I am the bullet in the gun
  • Mood: Confused Confused

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 03:55:39 AM »
more like an FPS than an RPG," says director Motomu Toriyama."

really? an fps? are you kidding me, FF XIII isn't even close to an FPS compared to an RPG IMO

i would know because ive already logged in a ton of hours playing Modern Warfare 2 online ;D

« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 04:00:26 AM by xkeyblademasterx07 »

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so -William Shakespeare

"I'm no hero. Never was. Never will be. I'm just an old killer here to do some wetwork"- Solid Snake

Ally

• Newsletter
  • Brave Companion
  • Believe
  • Mood: Exhausted Exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 03:55:52 AM »
As far as I am concerned, FFXIII still has RPG and Final Fantasy elements. That is good enough for me.

xkeyblademasterx07

• Brave Companion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 04:20:44 AM »
also to those who have played, are there any guns in the game? if so who wields them?

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so -William Shakespeare

"I'm no hero. Never was. Never will be. I'm just an old killer here to do some wetwork"- Solid Snake

Shadow Gilgamesh

• Order of Ambrosia
  • All your weapons are belong to me!
  • Mood: Lazy Lazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 05:59:11 AM »
i've seen not played it but it looks more like FFVIICC than a FPS

also most of the stuff spee said i've seen in random peoples sigs and stuff anyway :-\
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
so i think trying to hide even from the simplest of things from FF13 is gonna be REAL hard ::)

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round
  • Simply myself, no more and no less.
  • Mood: Relieved Relieved

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 06:03:05 AM »
It was also said that they don't intend it to be an RPG or FPS or any genre. It just ends up as an RPG as the game takes shape. Not that I buy that though, FF will and always has been RPG. FFXIII is an RPG. One of the more challenging ones out there to boot.

SwordStealer is my twin from across the country! ;D

Hal

• Moppet
  • Mood: Hyper Hyper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 03:45:32 PM »
I may know where. Of course there is no shooting like in fps, but the game has one element that you see in the most fps: Strict linearity. Everything you do is to go forward, no right, no left, it's more an 2D Game in 3D ambience. Ok, you can go back since chapter ??? so far i heard, but this can't be meant as free exploration. I really hope FFXIII keep me up for more then only one playthrough.

pprincess

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Smart Smart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 04:22:05 PM »
I have read that JRPG makers are taking note of the popularity of FPS games in the west, and that the concern for RPGs is in pacing, overall pacing of the game and the pace of battles. The thought is that traditional RPG pacing is too slow for today's gamer in the west, in turn-based battles, character development, and in open ended game areas that don't offer clues as to what needs to happen for the story to continue.

I think that control of a single character, no weapon choices, limited character development before the story must continue and fast paced battles are some elements probably geared to try and garner new players from the FPS genre. I don't believe the game itself is meant to BE an FPS, but rather that the control of a single character and the fast pacing is geared to try and gain new audience, whether that be "western" audience, or just the idea that "younger" players find a fast pace more appealing. Also, western reviewers and players tend to put a lot of emphasis on graphics and cutscenes as determining factors in the decision of whether a game is "good." Along with this, I've mentioned before that Square Enix's overall 2010 goal is to provide "entertainment" and be an overall entertainment company. All of these things seem to come into play in FFXIII. I have a feeling that the traditional Final Fantasy RPG will be in the MMORPG like FFXIV for diehard fan players who want to pay, but the regular games are going to be even more "mass appeal." Strictly business.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 05:08:09 PM by pprincess »

DragonSLAYER45

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 07:22:29 PM »
They need to stop concerning themselves about what "we" care about what's in a game and start concerning themselves of what makes a true (J)RPG. I'm playing devil's advocate here with it being a FPS or not as I have yet to play it for myself. Even though a part of me disagrees completely with Kitase's comments as I have played FPS before and FFXIII looks no where close to what they look like based on what I've seen.

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round
  • Simply myself, no more and no less.
  • Mood: Relieved Relieved

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 12:15:31 AM »
I have read that JRPG makers are taking note of the popularity of FPS games in the west, and that the concern for RPGs is in pacing, overall pacing of the game and the pace of battles. The thought is that traditional RPG pacing is too slow for today's gamer in the west, in turn-based battles, character development, and in open ended game areas that don't offer clues as to what needs to happen for the story to continue.

I think that control of a single character, no weapon choices, limited character development before the story must continue and fast paced battles are some elements probably geared to try and garner new players from the FPS genre. I don't believe the game itself is meant to BE an FPS, but rather that the control of a single character and the fast pacing is geared to try and gain new audience, whether that be "western" audience, or just the idea that "younger" players find a fast pace more appealing. Also, western reviewers and players tend to put a lot of emphasis on graphics and cutscenes as determining factors in the decision of whether a game is "good." Along with this, I've mentioned before that Square Enix's overall 2010 goal is to provide "entertainment" and be an overall entertainment company. All of these things seem to come into play in FFXIII. I have a feeling that the traditional Final Fantasy RPG will be in the MMORPG like FFXIV for diehard fan players who want to pay, but the regular games are going to be even more "mass appeal." Strictly business.

I'm sure the same thing was said in the change from FFVI to FFVII. And that's true, it definitely did, but then we got games like FF9 or FF12 that break the mold again. This is a Kitase FF game, not a Matsuno FF game or a Sakaguchi FF game. Kitase games are usually directed at fresh audiences.

By the way, similar to FFX, weapons can't be switched between members but new weapons can be upgraded, like FFVIII, and equipped and unequipped like all FF games.

SwordStealer is my twin from across the country! ;D

pprincess

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Smart Smart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 12:20:39 AM »
They need to stop concerning themselves about what "we" care about what's in a game and start concerning themselves of what makes a true (J)RPG.

yeah I think they are looking to expand their customer base, which makes sense on a business level. Still, there are lots of other gaming companies picking up the slack and Square Enix isn't the only company making good RPGs in the "old" style.

And I do like wee187's point, that changes in direction in the past have eventually yielded some great games.

xkeyblademasterx07

• Brave Companion

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 12:41:50 AM »
yea there have been some great FPS RPGs like Fallout 3, that was a really fun game

FF12GrandMaster

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 01:59:57 AM »
Well I have decided that I won't be playing FFXIII. My interest in it is zero and getting smaller.

Sixty

• Order of Ambrosia
  • "To your own self be true. All rests upon you."
  • Mood: Busy Busy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 10:47:01 AM »
Well you sure you won't try it anyway?

For Honor The strongest of all warriors are these two: Time and Patience.