Author Topic: FFXIII Gameplay: Simple or Complex?  (Read 1499 times)

ChaosWOTW

• Moppet
  • Bringing this fantasy to it's conclusion
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
FFXIII Gameplay: Simple or Complex?
« on: May 02, 2010, 11:12:29 PM »
This Final Fantasy's gameplay clearly tries to be deep but accessible. My question is which does it do better? Is it more strategic than previous games in the Final Fantasy series? Or is it "dumbed" down so anyone can play it?

My thoughts on the complex: Elemental weakness are important for all enemies, some battles almost cannot be won without buffs or debuffs, and the stagger system encourages you to sacrifice attack power in order to concentrate on building that bar. It's not straight up attack, attack, attack.

My thoughts on the simple: However, all that gameplay ever really boils down to is picking which jobs your characters will fill... and hitting auto-battle. If your pre-fight selections are good and you can switch between job combinations as needed, then you can beat most any thing.

I would probably say that, for me, this game is more simplistic than previous games. Yes, your setup has to be thought through... but that requires what? A game guide and about ten seconds of situation planning? It all boils down to hitting auto-battle in the end. Without the Auto-Battle feature, I would have said that FFXIII's battle system would have been way more complex, unfortunately it's there. Even without hitting the auto-battle, you have a lack of choices to make. What do the people of FFTogether think?

Please: No unnecessary bashing and obviously, give a reason why you think it's either simple or complex.

"Gone talking to a wall... -Squall, victory quote in Dissidia

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round
  • Simply myself, no more and no less.
  • Mood: Relieved Relieved

• View Profile
Re: FFXIII Gameplay: Simple or Complex?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 02:17:10 AM »
It all depends how you play. Personally, it's the very fact of the Paradigms that make it complex. I still find myself dying on certain common battles just going through the story. The challenge sometimes even forces you to not use autobattle. It's really only as complex as you make it out to be. The same can be said for FF12.

SwordStealer is my twin from across the country! ;D

kokushishin

• Brave Companion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 05:16:40 PM »

Auto-battle works decent with COM and RAV, but for the others you pretty much always want to go manual. The AI is more or less competent as well, but still, for the same reasons you often want to handle stuff while they stick to COM/RAV.

I like that so many abilities have more than one mode.  Attack is one command, but with autos it has like 8 functions.  Similarly the elemental spells aren't just different animations.   It can be a pain to level up equipment, but those can also give you different features and trade-offs.

Sentinel

• Hedge Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 01:38:16 AM »
There's a bit of both actually, all depending on who you're picking a fight with.

Most of the battles - especially in the first few chapters - require nothing but a series of the same button pressing of the Auto-battle command to finish the battle and get a respectably high star ranking afterwards. The moment your enemy profile has details of weaknesses and resistances, Auto-battle automatically optimises the appropriate moves. That does make it much easier and more convenient than cycling through menus to find the needed spells and abilities. Furthermore, as long as you can fill the Stagger bar, you basically have the battle nearly instantly in your favour.

The complex part tends to occur in Eidolon battles, boss battles and the more tricky enemies. I agree - you do need to do some detective work and see what the enemy does and how you can counter it. It then goes down to having a decent lineup of Paradigms and to time them well in some occasions. Eidolon battles of course, without using Libra or Librascopes are tricky to get right. Even with Libra or Librascopes used, it may still require a couple of tries and getting the right Paradigms to end the battle with a victory.

I haven't used a game guide, so there were difficult moments. I'm not actually sure whether FFXIII has dumbed down compared to previous games or not. Yes and no is probably what I'll say.

SilverSummoner

• Moppet
  • Mood: Exhausted Exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 02:49:53 AM »
I would like to think of it as simple up until Chapter 12, where the game throws a really steep level curve at you.  :-\ You will really have to put some thought into who you fight.