Poll

Did you enjoy playing the newest game in the franchise?

Love it
25 (56.8%)
Hate it
6 (13.6%)
In the middle
13 (29.5%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: FFXIII: Love it or Hate it? [ SPOILERS ]  (Read 13306 times)

Storm Rider

• Moppet
  • The Keyblade's Chosen One
  • Mood: Thoughtful Thoughtful

• View Profile
Re: FFXIII: Love it or Hate it? [ SPOILERS ]
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 05:22:22 AM »
Just as an overall finisher, here is what I find wrong about Final Fantasy XIII:

+ Screen tearing if you don't have a high-quality television.
+ A complete lack of a proper villain, thereby making the story feel random and pointless.
+ Unbalanced difficulty. One or two difficult fights in an easy game just makes them aggravating.
+ CAPPED Crystarium for the majority of the game. This is unforgiveable.
+ Paradigm Shift. Yeah guys, you look pretty spinning around in circles but in case you didn't know; the enemy is about to kill you.
+ Paradigms were a step backwards from Gambits. I like full customization; it makes up for poor AI.
+ AI in this game was TOO good - "heal ME, if I die, we're all dead! HEAL ME I DON'T CARE IF FANG HAS SLIGHTLY LESS HEALTH, SHE'S A SENTINEL, SHE CAN HANDLE IT! I CAN'T! HEAL ME NOW!" This annoys me to no end.
+ Hope. Most annoying child in a video-game ever. I have a very high tolerance for annoying children in video games, but he pushed me right over the edge.
+ That stupid rating system. Its a lazy excuse not to make things harder - players don't like to challenge themselves, the game is supposed to challenge them through its gameplay.

As a whole, I simply found this game just a one-way marathon of battles to get to the next cutscene or boss. My "professional" score for this game would be a 7.0, but my personal score is much lower to a 5, because it just doesn't push my buttons. All it pushes is X. Repeatedly.
Its one of those games you play through once, then look back on it and think: "Hold on a minute...did I REALLY just spend 50 hours on this?"

Once again, I hope I didn't offend anyone with this.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 05:37:19 AM by Storm Rider »
"Fight the darkness, or become the darkness..."

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round
  • Simply myself, no more and no less.
  • Mood: Relieved Relieved

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 06:06:06 AM »

+ Hope. Most annoying child in a video-game ever. I have a very high tolerance for annoying children in video games, but he pushed me right over the edge.

Once again, I hope I didn't offend anyone with this.

That doesn't affend me, but it saddens me.  :-[ He stops being annoying after a while anyway, if he was ever annoying anyway.

Other than that, you're entitled to your opinion and we're cool. ;D I hope that A1X_Jet read my reply to his reply of my first big post, which unluckily happened to be the last post on that page... ::)

SwordStealer is my twin from across the country! ;D

Shoe

• Moppet
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 11:12:36 AM »
All it pushes is X. Repeatedly.

This statement is probably the only one that annoys me to no end. For some reason, people don't realize that in every other final fantasy game, the button you push most, is X. Oh. Em. Gee. Another thing people don't realize is that auto-battle is entirely optional, and I myself didn't even use it until Orphan and beyond, because doing those low level hunts, it didn't really matter what I used. Stuff just blew up. When it gets down to nitty-gritty however, I like to know exactly what my character is using.

Some stuff the auto-battle does makes no sense anyway. Example: Light as a COM, it will alternate between Ruin and Attack. Therefore it takes much longer for her hits to connect, which in turn takes longer for her to deal damage. Or when Light is in RAV, the auto-battle will alternate between regular nukes and -strike abilities. Just takes longer for her damage to be dealt.

Auto-Battle is very smart in this game, but it still isn't as smart as someone who uses their brain while playing. It may be faster, but actually picking your abilities will overshadow it if you spend even 30 seconds looking at your target's datalog entry. It is also nice to use like once or twice for a new enemy, after which it becomes obsolete because it has shown you what to do, so you just improve upon its choices (which is often easier than people seem to realize).
/rant

TL;DR: X is the button you press most in every single FF; People give auto-battle too much credit.

"To be forgotten is worse than death."
            -Freya Crescent, FFIX

Spee

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Endure and survive.

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 02:00:53 PM »
Just as an overall finisher, here is what I find wrong about Final Fantasy XIII:
+ CAPPED Crystarium for the majority of the game. This is unforgiveable.
I could agree with everything else on the list but this is what confuses me. If anything, this adds more difficulty to the game with capped crystarium. That way, it is near impossible to overlevel.

A1X_Jet

• Vanguard
  • ....you jes fulla surprises, ain't ya?
  • Mood: Content Content

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 07:34:55 PM »

Posted on: Yesterday at 08:58:29 pm
Posted by: Wee187

Can't really argue with any of the points made. I didn't dislike XII's story, I think it was overall pretty good, and VERY relative to FFT (which, of course, IS my favorite game in the series), which is a definitive positive as far as I'm concerned.

Unfortunately, my dislike of the game divulges deeper into the mechanics and content placement. I wasn't a fan of the Gambit System (oddly enough, I enjoy Paradigm) -- I used to think AI'ing your characters was a bad idea, then I realized it's because the Gambits react to the situation in-game instead of to the player controlling the game, like the Paradigm system does. The story paced itself poorly and this is due almost entirely because of how expansive the world actually is. Expansive worlds should be a good, no, a GREAT thing -- just not in a FF. I'm not bothered by the linearity of XIII but I would definitely prefer if areas were bigger.

But when it came down to it, the thing that I'm looking for when it comes to the difference between XII's expansion and XIII's linearity is the surrounding aesthetics. XII delivered, but you had to run around the area to appreciate it, and to me that was tedious. XII delivered it in your face and made sure you saw it step-for-step.

My conclusion will seem like a joke because I know how close in length the two stories are, but to me, again, it feels like XII was pushing you along via Hunts with a relatively short story. On the other end of the spectrum, XIII's face paced story-driven continuation of the game adds a sense of longevity, at least to me it does. I think it's almost like an alluding illusion. The Hunts of XII make you think the main game is shorter because of how long you spend doing hunts (this ties into exploring areas, which I had already found tedious). I know SE practically did the same thing with XIII by making Hunts available, but I'm genuinely satisfied that they held off on them until later in the game, giving you an ample amount of time to hear the plot unfold and allow the characters develop before jumping into the huge side portions of the game, whereas XII put a vast majority of the Hunts dead center in the middle of the game, inbetween major plot related scenes, often making me forget what I had seen prior when I finally do advance the story.

So, it's not that I dislike the plot of XII which some people think I do, I just think SE paced the plot poorly. I remember feeling quite "forced" to do certain Hunts inbetween the story and I'm pretty sure you even did have to do a few every once and awhile (for that special something in your inventory). All in all, glad SE kept the hunting, but even more glad they chunked it together and then chucked it to the back of the game, while feeding plot point after plot point early. In my eyes, vast improvement to XII.

EMPIRE: Book One: Beginning of the End -- Go into battle determined to die, and you will survive; Go into battle hoping to live, and surely you will not.
EMPIRE: Beginning of the End
PSN: KillerTofue

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 08:52:27 PM »
I can't argue with what you said either, I just wanted to hear your response. I'm glad(after quite a long time it seems) that we finally understand each others opinions.

I also have to agree that FFXII's plot was paced poorly. Instead of the game pushing you to do hunts, but allowing you to move on with the story if you like, it should push you to move on the story, and allow you to do hunts if you like. There's a difference, and the latter is what XIII does and XII does not. I still like XII more and I still think XIII's great too, but it's not often that you get to hear someone's logical and backed-up criticisms of any game instead of blind bashing. So, thanks for that. :)

A1X_Jet

• Vanguard
  • ....you jes fulla surprises, ain't ya?
  • Mood: Content Content

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 09:40:24 PM »
Yep. Any time.

I haven't beat XIII yet so I can't give the judge on which story I prefer in total, yet.

I do know I like more of XIII's characters than I did in XII. 4-3, respectively. (Don't like Hope, don't like Fang, didn't like Balthier, Vaan or Penelo, sometimes Ashe too.)

So we'll see where that goes.

EMPIRE: Book One: Beginning of the End -- Go into battle determined to die, and you will survive; Go into battle hoping to live, and surely you will not.
EMPIRE: Beginning of the End
PSN: KillerTofue

Sentinel

• Hedge Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 01:09:56 AM »
I don't know why people were expecting so much from this game and the criticism's are stupid.

I mean, linearity? Every Final Fantasy IS and WAS linear to an extent. Even the mindlessly open X-2 and XII. Why is it all of the sudden a problem now?
No towns? What's so special about towns? Nothing, you do nothing but buy stuff and talk to useless NPCs with nothing to do but waste your time with mindless talk, and then you are on your way.
No NPCs? See no towns. Even the NPCs that are in this game have pretty much nothing interesting to say.

I'm not understanding why this title has received so much scrutiny when we've seen plenty of these elements in previous titles in the series. I dunno what to say for the fanbase -- Final Fantasy has this interesting history of changing and evolving (As it well should.); I wouldn't expect much from XIV if you didn't enjoy XI or even XIII or Versus XIII if you hate Kingdom Hearts style gameplay.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:15:27 AM by Sentinel »

Ally

• Newsletter
  • Brave Companion
  • Believe
  • Mood: Exhausted Exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 01:21:59 AM »
I think it's because the linearity was too constricting, and perhaps because you couldn't return to previous areas. So everything felt too much of a straight line to them.

Phoenix

• Hedge Knight
  • The Dark Messenger

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 03:16:32 AM »
I found the adventure of Final Fantasy XIII to be an enjoyable experience. While I feel the story could have used a better hook. It is a solid FF game in my opinion, I enjoyed it, the Crystarium was alright, not my favourite system for strengthening characters and having them learn new abilities/magic because of it's linear character progression. The story focuses a lot on each of the characters, their backstories and their state of minds as it goes along. It definitely isn't the best story - a few weird bits of writing here and there, but it isn't crap - compared to some other RPG stories I have seen.

I was disappointed by the ways of obtaining gil. Obtaining no gil after battles and the only way to obtain them is through selling materials and through treasure chests.

kokushishin

• Brave Companion

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2010, 05:19:34 PM »
I thought Barthandelus was pretty good actually. You see a lot of him even though it takes a while for the reveal.  Especially taking into account what the Analects allege, he's probably the most successful FF villain ever.

CAPPED Crystarium for the majority of the game.

I'm not sure I even had filled up the stages to where they "should" be until around Chapter 9 or 10. There are really only a couple things you need in each chapter and they are usually very close to the start of the stage.

+ Paradigms were a step backwards from Gambits.

Most of what you can do in XIII is very hard to replicate in XII, at least not without having to open up the menu and changing Gambits every few seconds.

Maxing weapons is expensive, but the thing is you don't have to do it all at once.  XII had more weapon groups, yes, but think about how many of the weapons in each group were the same weapon with slightly higher attack.  Only the ones with a property that stands out like the Main Gauche or Masamune catch your attention.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 05:24:57 PM by kokushishin »

Ronso Rage X

• Hedge Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 03:45:37 AM »
Well, what I liked about this game was these part of the battle system. One of the most tactical Final Fantasy battle systems I have ever seen. You need to watch what your doing in battle and make sure you switch Paradigms at the right moment. Story was good, it's not the best Final Fantasy story ever and if anything; it's probably the most cheesy especially at the beginning of the game. The linearity didn't bother me after all. Once again, my favorite Final Fantasy is X so...  ::) and I agree with the fact that every Final Fantasy was linear to an extent.

What I didn't like was the fact that I had less control over your party. This is utter crap. I can control my own party. I have been doing it since the first Final Fantasy and resent Square stealing this from me. Not to mention that this game has some god-awful experiences with AI.

"Only those who try will become"

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 04:04:04 AM »
Not to mention that this game has some god-awful experiences with AI.

Really? Compared to other games with AI I've played(I'm looking at you, Resident Evil 5...), I've found the game's AI to be excellent, with the only flaw being the bolstering of a Ruin in front of a line of attacks when you don't need it.

Ronso Rage X

• Hedge Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 04:13:01 AM »
I've come to terms that the AI is bad because a Commando, for example, controlled by the A.I will always attack the enemy that you're not attacking, if you are also a Commando, as the lead character. It can become very frustrating, when you want to take out enemies quickly. I've found that sometimes characters can get in the way of Sentinel's guarding attacks and Saboteur's can't focus on one debuff at a time instead of 5 different spells all at once.

"Only those who try will become"

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2010, 05:42:59 AM »
Well the Sentinel thing I can understand, but the former issue is actually not by the AI, it's the paradigm.

Look in your paradigm description at the top when you set them. Relentless Assault will focus all of the party on one enemy, while Aggression will have a COM/RAV on one enemy and a COM on another, which is why I think Relentless Assault to be the better paradigm. Other paradigms also do this.