Author Topic: More excited for Versus XIII than XIII and Agito?  (Read 3629 times)

Princess Moogle

• Moppet
  • Kupo !
  • Mood: Thoughtful Thoughtful

• View Profile
More excited for Versus XIII than XIII and Agito?
« on: June 25, 2010, 05:57:16 AM »
Why? What is it about Versus that makes it epically more appealing right off the bat than FFXIII and even Agito? My excitement is on par with FFXIII so I'm having a hard time seeing why Versus is more appealing than FFXIII.

Deep in my heart I'm concealing things that I'm longing to say. Scared to confess what I'm feeling - frightened you'll slip away.

Sentinel

• Hedge Knight

• View Profile
Re: More excited for Versus XIII than XIII and Agito?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 06:02:37 AM »
Well, I have no idea why Agito is actually less anticipated. There are quite a few reasons, and the most idiotic reason I've heard of is because Versus XIII is planned to remain PS3 exclusive. Many people after FFXIII was announced for the 360 lost hope for the game and suddenly divert attention at Versus as one of the symbols of what the PS3 still has up its sleeve.

More moderate reasons are basically what we have seen so far. It promises a darker story - the darkest yet. This does sound really fascinating, especially for those who don't like how FFXIII's story looks so far and/or were disappointed by FFXII's story.

Then there is the battle system, where Nomura promises a full Kingdom Hearts style battle system. Some people just prefer action style battle systems than more turned based ones - at least that's what they see FFXIII as being. It also appeals to people who enjoy the KH games in general.

World Map - a nostalgic aspect from the old days of Final Fantasy that has been missed from various games developed for the series. If anything, the nostalgia feel to the game have people looking forward to Versus because it seems to re-introduce classic elements from the series.

And ever since Final Fantasy XIII's full release, the hype has gone down due to the disappointment by some fans.

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 09:58:24 AM »
Basically said everybody who has lost faith in Square one way or another is hoping that Versus XIII is going to make up for that.

However with the expectations about the game getting really high I can already guarantee that this game is also going to be a biggest let down for some. So yea people be prepaired, because I'm expecting an even bigger fan hate-rage for this game than FFXII or FFXIII :o

Sixty

• Order of Ambrosia
  • "To your own self be true. All rests upon you."
  • Mood: Exhausted Exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 11:58:01 AM »
I understand the fan rage, butt on the other hand i don't. Every Final Fantasy is different. They only let some things come back so it got that look of, oh i know that, But with every game they are trying to bring some new gameplay into it. It's challenging for the designers, but some old school fans like the old system better. Even if it is a franchise, there must be change, or els you can remake the same game with better graphics over and over.

For Honor The strongest of all warriors are these two: Time and Patience.

xkeyblademasterx07

• Brave Companion
  • I am the bullet in the gun
  • Mood: Confused Confused

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 03:32:31 AM »
i think the trailers just looked cooler to me and yes i have high expectations for it. however, i won't be surprised if it lets some people down

if it's anything short of a great game, it will probably get a lot of hate

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so -William Shakespeare

"I'm no hero. Never was. Never will be. I'm just an old killer here to do some wetwork"- Solid Snake

MegaFun

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Mood: Energetic Energetic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 04:00:41 AM »
For me, it depends on what Square Enix gives out. My excitement towards XIII have died down for a while now. I'm still looking forward to Agito but not so much... they haven't given out much information in ages that's why. While the same can be said for Versus, it's the next game that's expected to come in the fray and therefore I get excited.

I've had this theory for a while now: Final Fantasy XIII is SE's method to familiarize with the mechanics and technical aspects of the PS3, experiment and at the same time try to grab wider audiences with their elaborate marketing methods (lol, I heard you see XIII banners everywhere in Shibuya). Regarding the linearity, I think SE deliberately tried to develop a 'straight-line' game just to be safe—they also don't know how long the production time will be if they made a full 'open-world' game. The development for XIII already took quite an amount of time (it seems long, but that's because the hype sucks us in). With that thought as the basis, they developed a heavily story-driven game and attached the kind of storyline they made for XIII which basically 'drags your hand around'.

Now that they're done with XIII, they move on to Final Fantasy Versus XIII. While XIII is the flagship title of Fabula Nova Crystallis, I honestly think that this game is where Square Enix will put everything they can into. Having familiarized with FF development on the PS3 via XIII, they moved on to Versus and aimed to create a full-scale FF game (full-scale may not be the right word to use, but it refers to the likes of the past FF games, with world maps and extensive sidequests). Having said that, you may be thinking 'oh crap so it's going to take double the time'. Not necessarily so—I believe the Versus team would also have familiarized with the system since, well, Nomura's the director and they helped XIII's production a lot (which is why Versus's production is rather slow ::)). This might just be a stupid assumption, but the moment I heard they were gonna put a world map, I immediately assumed that airships and extensive sidequests and extra dungeons are also included. >_>

I also have a feeling that SE is still greedy for audience this time around, hence the supposed port of Versus to the 360. ::)

Note that it's only a theory, it's only a speculation, so you can take it as complete bullcrap if you will (and definitely don't take my word for it). I just thought about that since it sort of matches the time when they jumped to the PS2—X was linear (albeit still with extensive sidequests), while XII had a very expansive world (save the lack of world map). Nevertheless, this is the very reason I'm excited about Versus at the moment, and you all can expect me to go 'Ally' on you guys in September after TGS 2010. :P

DragonSLAYER45

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 09:59:03 PM »
I don't know why people are excited for Versus since this game still remains a complete mystery. It's possibly because Nomura is at the wheel for this game, and we all should know that Nomura has never made a bad game when he was the head of a project. Personally, I'm excited for Versus because of it's battle system. I am more of a fan of the action battle systems more than just plain turn based ones.

I know not to have high expectations for this game. I don't want to be excited at first and then become horribly underwhelmed like what happened with Final Fantasy XIII.

MegaFun

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 03:26:15 AM »
I'm not excited for Versus for the fact that Nomura is there. I'm excited for the things it supposedly (emphasis on 'supposedly') has to offer.

Plus it's Yoko Shimomura <3 lol.

xkeyblademasterx07

• Brave Companion
  • I am the bullet in the gun
  • Mood: Confused Confused

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 11:03:50 PM »
i think it might not go to 360 because Nomura said he wants it to be a PS3 exclusive

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so -William Shakespeare

"I'm no hero. Never was. Never will be. I'm just an old killer here to do some wetwork"- Solid Snake

Sixty

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
Versus will go to Xbox, since XIV isn't going to Xbox Versus will.

MegaFun

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 12:48:06 PM »
It's not official yet, guys. Wada said they're looking into it before any formal announcements are to be made, therefore it's not official, at least yet.

Da_Cloud

• Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 12:51:57 PM »
Well basically what he said was. Until we officially announce this game we let all options open, so I'll guess we'll get to hear it during the TGS.

Sixty

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 01:31:51 PM »
When was that again?

Da_Cloud

• Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 01:54:12 PM »
Its was one day after the statement that made the whole world think that versus would definitely appear on the xbox360. And I don't think square would directly go into the defence to refresh that statement if they hadn't already made a deal with Microsoft.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/05/19/wada_clarifies_versus_xiii_statement/

Sixty

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 02:06:06 PM »
No i meant, when is the TGS being held. you know like the date ;D