Author Topic: The RNG Method [FFXII]  (Read 62539 times)

Chaos

• Global Moderator
  • Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
Re: The RNG Method
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2012, 03:21:31 PM »
IIRC it's the 10% chance. Just do it the ordinary way. Should be faster.

"Most people think time is like a river that flows swift and sure in one direction, but I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you - they are wrong." ~ Prince of Persia

gavvin

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2012, 03:43:41 PM »
Yeah.

We have to zone 5 times until we reach the chest. Tried leaving 5 steps on the table, it didn´t work. Now I´m just soft reseting until I get it. Shouldn´t take long.

Next going to farm Shell Shields and loot to make the Tournesol.

Edit: Got the Ensanguined Shield. Only two more to go.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 03:54:07 PM by gavvin »

yoshi1017

• Moppet

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2013, 11:28:52 PM »
Not really sure if anyone still reads this, but worth a try.

I fully understand how to use the RNG method and regularly do. I know that early on at low levels it won't work, or is inconsistent at best, but is the same true for very high level characters? I'm tackling Trial Mode in IZJS for the first time in order to play Weak Mode, and thought to go through it as quickly as possible I'd level everyone up to 99 for the HP. But now that I'm trying to use the RNG method to get a Trango Tower and farm megalixers and I'm getting any results when I enter my 3 consecutive cures. For the record, I'm doing this is areas that have absolutely no enemies, and removing all status buffs.

Chaos

• Global Moderator
  • Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2013, 11:48:53 PM »
The method works at any level. The only problem with low levels is that there might be more than one sequence of the values you get. Did you forget to adjust the formula?

"Most people think time is like a river that flows swift and sure in one direction, but I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you - they are wrong." ~ Prince of Persia

yoshi1017

• Moppet

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2013, 12:17:20 AM »
No, not at all.
My first thought was that it was because of the room Trango Tower is in. I mean once you clear the Skulwyrms (?) and Magick Pot there are no other enemies to interfere. However it is technically considered South Abyssal so I thought maybe I had to completely clear all enemies there until they stopped respawning, which I wasn't in the mood for. Then it occured to me that with levels of 99 and magic stat 99 there might not be enough difference in the cure values to get any match, so I went outside the Pharos where you fight the boss and tried it but got no matches again. I'll try again in a few minutes and give exact cure values and levels.

Edit: So after trying to get the Trango Tower chest to spawn FOREVER, then having no luck with the RNG at all that day, prompting me to make this reply, it's completely working fine now. I have no idea why it wasn't before or what I was doing wrong. Thanks for the quick reply though! Back to getting the TT now.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 12:27:54 AM by yoshi1017 »

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round
  • Simply myself, no more and no less.
  • Mood: Relieved Relieved

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2013, 01:00:36 AM »
Good to see people still reference this thread for the RNG method and find it useful. It's been a long time since there's been any discussions about it, haha.

SwordStealer is my twin from across the country! ;D

Tuinktuink

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2013, 10:07:11 PM »
Just want to say thanks about all the good work you guys did on the spreadsheet.
I couldn't hold the urge to play FF XII again after so many years. But you know, it's frustrating me when some chest didn't give me the item i want. Then i found this spreadsheet.

So really thanks to any of you who involved in the making of this spreadsheet.

Good work and i wish you all have a special place in Heaven.  :D

kungfumidget

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2014, 05:49:03 PM »
Should probably add mkotha to the list of credits since he's the one who figured out the random number generator and the seed.

http://www.fftogether.com/forum/index.php?topic=1499.30

Chaos

• Global Moderator
  • Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2014, 11:05:14 PM »
Done. :)

egli

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2014, 10:33:42 AM »
I find the Excel files a bit clunky to use, so I created my own interactive RNG cure list. It is faster, can generate unlimited random numbers, and I tried to make it pretty intuitive. Here’s a link to it in case anyone else had the same frustrations with the Excel files that I had.

Interactive RNG Cure List: http://markegli.com/ff12/

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2014, 09:35:53 PM »
Looks pretty sweet. Finnally there's an easier way than the old excel sheet :D

Chaos

• Global Moderator
  • Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2014, 06:39:37 PM »
Great site and great to see that people still care so much about this game. I've added the link to the first post.

Dosh

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2016, 12:26:04 PM »
(Many years later)

Does crossing a line zone change the RNG?
I succeeded at stealing the Fireman (using the cure system), I prepared the RNG in the save crystal zone which is separated from the boss with a iron portal.
I don't succeed at stealing the rare item from Mimic Queen.. Applying the same process of manipulating the RNG. Is this because of the line zone?
Or could it be because of the Minimics? The light decreasing in the boss arena?!

Thank you to all of you for explaining all this, I love it. I just don't know all the details.

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2016, 02:22:24 PM »
I don't know all the details either, been a while since we've done this and even back then I would hardly be able to guarantee things.

I could take a good educational guess though. As I would assume that crossing a zone line will move the RNG seed forward on the cure list. So I guess that's the issue in your scenario.
The light going out in the zone always seemed to go down in a predetermined interval so I doubt that one would move the RNG seed.

Maybe Chaos can remember a bit more about it though.

Chaos

• Global Moderator
  • Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2016, 05:12:28 PM »
Da_Cloud is pretty much right, except for the incorrect usage of the word "seed". The seed is just a number used to initialize the random sequence of numbers and this happens the moment you turn on your PS2.

Now back to your question. Crossing a zone line causes a number of things to be evaluated, some of which are random, thus consuming numbers from the random sequence (the one in the cure list). The events being evaluated are the weather (if it's a zone where the weather changes), the traps and the treasure chest (I may have forgotten something, but this is the gist of it). There was nothing to consume the numbers during the Firemane fight, so stealing the desired items was a pretty easy task.

Things seem to be different for the Mimic Queen. If there are any chests in that area, a number will be used for each of them to determine whether or not they spawn. It is also possible that something in the room consumes the numbers, like the boss itself or the adds it spawns. If any of the enemies in the zone manage to cast anything before you steal, you're screwed. However, if it's just one or two spells and it's the same scenario every time you try it, you might be able to steal by leaving a couple numbers (maybe 5-40 depending on what they cast?) of headroom. Most probably it's more hassle than what it's worth.

One more thing to add. Certain zones in the game consume numbers on god knows what. The RNG list keeps moving forward even though it seems that nothing is happening in the zone. Another important fact to keep in mind is that each tick of Regen will also consume a number, so don't use it if you're trying to exploit the RNG.

I hope this was helpful. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.