Author Topic: Comming updates  (Read 1633 times)

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
Comming updates
« on: August 01, 2008, 11:26:12 AM »
Well the forum is on-line for almost a month now and there are some things that need to be changed and are going to change.

• First of all I'm busy with moving the site to an other host. On the moment it is still looking and comparing, but in the end it will mean a down time. How long the forum will be down during the movement is unknown to me, but I shall make an announcement when this forum is going to move. Hopefully this will make 99% of the error message disappear.
  • A new member group system. We all know the current one is based of post. I want to remove it and replace it with a new one. And ad the moment I'm thinking of a system that's simulair to that of GameFAQ's. It is an reliable system and doesn't make a difference between the grand posters and the more silenced members. Building this system is out of my league though. This means I have requested this system on the SMF forum itself. Here are people that hopefully can built this for me.
    It means I don't know when its ready or if it even can be build, but one thing I do know. The current post based system will be removed on 08-08-08. This has multiple reasons so please don't argue with it.

This is it for now, I've more comes to my mind I will update it in this post ;D

pprincess

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Smart Smart

• View Profile
Re: Comming updates
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 03:39:14 AM »
So, if I am understanding correctly, one of the changes will be that we will no longer have rankings on the site based on the number of postings? If so, I am in support of that change. There are far too many people trying to improve their rankings and posting junk.

Thanks for keeping us updated!  :)

FF12GrandMaster

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 09:03:47 AM »
I second pprincess's view on that. The Karma based system (which I have seen in the Admin Tools) sounds a much better idea.

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 12:47:44 PM »
I almost forgot the most important part of all. I'm still working on the main site. I know it takes a long time, but it takes a lot of time because I'm writing the code single handed.
I know its not finished yet, but I've added a link for you to see the progress ;D
Link to the main site

BTW I've found a new host. Its on a server in the Netherlands and the numbers they offered sounded reasonable. And I can pay without a credit card 8) I will try to move the site as soon ass possible and then we will see if it improve things. I keep a back-up running on the old server so in the worst case scenario it will only cause a long down time. Its also a shared host, but this site is mainly active during night time for the Netherlands it shouldn't cause any troubles.
I will give you the exact time/day of the moving, because moving a forum always causes a down time :(

The movement will take place this weekend. I hopefully got enough free time to move everything this weekend. I know the connection with the site have been slow and unstable lately. So hopefully the new server can handle this site fine :D

FF12GrandMaster

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 07:21:57 PM »
Great news. Hopefully things will be a lot smoother from after this weekend ;D

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round
  • Simply myself, no more and no less.
  • Mood: Relieved Relieved

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 07:25:14 PM »