Author Topic: RP Forum Discussion Thread III  (Read 54923 times)

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Necessity is the oasis of true strength
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
Re: RP Forum Discussion Thread III
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 10:38:40 PM »
Should I be apart of a RP... I like writing and school is almost over...
I get that Dragon Slayer is full..?

No, it isn't. There is no limit to the number of characters in a story. They just need to be created.

When the darkness of the Abyss threatens the world, the Phoenix will rise amidst a whirlwind of fire and light.

Whisperer: Sometimes there is a very good reason to fear the dark.

rsslayersr

• Order of Ambrosia
  • The Cake is a Lie
  • Mood: Depressed Depressed

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 10:42:36 PM »
No, it isn't. There is no limit to the number of characters in a story. They just need to be created.

Well that just made my day... and happyness is gone.. :(  I don't have Word or anything like it.. I just write it on paper -.-

You might not know this, but Mytthal has a soft spot for cake. He likes to lurk around West and steal Apple Pie from the Cooking Guild.
An Apple a day keeps the Guildmaster away!

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
Well that just made my day... and happyness is gone.. :(  I don't have Word or anything like it.. I just write it on paper -.-

You can edit a post once it's up if you need to.

When the darkness of the Abyss threatens the world, the Phoenix will rise amidst a whirlwind of fire and light.

MK Emaster

• Newsletter
  • Brave Companion
  • FFT's Keen RPer ^^
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2011, 12:08:38 PM »
Woah a second Discussion thread? we hit a milestone :D

Anyway, I was feeling a little bit shy to express this before, but since Mike already said it, well why shouldn't I. The thing is, I left the RP section for months because of the recent lengthy post styles that been around since RPs like Whisperer (no offense) I mean you are with the story and all but suddenly your internet goes off, and you will have to read like 3 pages full of really lengthy (sometimes one-paragraphed) posts.   

I think we should put a limit on the maximum lines just like it has been done with the minimum. (I think I already read this suggestion somewhere, probably by Ultima).

Anyway I been reading lots of novels recently, so I wouldn't mind either way :D

Btw I smell a Zodiackiller around XD

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 12:10:26 PM by MK Emaster »
FFT is the coolest place on the internet ^_^ wait...yeah ^_^

My Youtube ChaNNel
CHECK OUT MY ARTWORKS ^^

ElliotMajor

• Paragon of Justice
  • All that glisters is not gold
  • Mood: Happy Happy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2011, 12:13:02 PM »
Woah a second Discussion thread? we hit a milestone :D

Anyway, I was feeling a little bit shy to express this before, but since Mike already said it, well why shouldn't I. The thing is, I left the RP section for months because of the recent lengthy post styles that been around since RPs like Whisperer (no offense) I mean you are with the story and all but suddenly you internet goes off, and you will have to read like 3 pages full of really lengthy (sometimes one-paragraphed) posts.   

I think we should put a limit on the maximum lines just like it has been done with the minimum. (I think I already read this suggestion somewhere, probably by Ultima).

Anyway I been reading lots of novels recently, so I wouldn't mind either way :D

Btw I smell a Zodiackiller around XD

Ultima said that there shouldn't be a maximum line length, which makes sense if people want to express everything. But myself I would prefer not to read a short story though every post, it seems that there can't be much character interaction if the posts are so length (not without some god modding)

But if enough people say they would join/be interested then I personally would not see any problem with making a new RP and imposing a maximum length (obviously not set in stone) as an additional rule for just that one RP.

"Are sins.. ever forgiven?"

"I've never tried"

MK Emaster

• Newsletter
  • Brave Companion
  • FFT's Keen RPer ^^
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2011, 12:43:30 PM »
Yeah there is the exact problem of lengthy posts, not the suffer to read the whole thing--no, but the interaction. Unless it is all about a single pondering moment, it is hard to interact with the other character and it will cause a confusion, like multiple actions decided when you wanted an action to be done between those @__@

Anyway I think this matter is up to the RP creator himself, I myself would put a max limit as well as the standard min limit on lines. Which brings up another matter, can we like please be able to create up to 5 RPs or so at the same time?.

FFT is the coolest place on the internet ^_^ wait...yeah ^_^

My Youtube ChaNNel
CHECK OUT MY ARTWORKS ^^

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2011, 03:28:37 PM »
Ultima said that there shouldn't be a maximum line length, which makes sense if people want to express everything. But myself I would prefer not to read a short story though every post, it seems that there can't be much character interaction if the posts are so length (not without some god modding)

But if enough people say they would join/be interested then I personally would not see any problem with making a new RP and imposing a maximum length (obviously not set in stone) as an additional rule for just that one RP.

The reason I enjoy FFT's RP section so much is that people don't mind a little bit of god-modding.

Yeah there is the exact problem of lengthy posts, not the suffer to read the whole thing--no, but the interaction. Unless it is all about a single pondering moment, it is hard to interact with the other character and it will cause a confusion, like multiple actions decided when you wanted an action to be done between those @__@

Anyway I think this matter is up to the RP creator himself, I myself would put a max limit as well as the standard min limit on lines. Which brings up another matter, can we like please be able to create up to 5 RPs or so at the same time?.

There aren't enough regulars in the RP section for that many RPs.

EDIT: Oh and just so I'm clear, I am very against both a maximum post length and a blanket rule against god modding. If they are implemented I will be leaving. I have experienced RP sections on other forums with similar rules and they are only fun until some over zealous control freak catches you making their character change their mere facial expression and goes on a flame rampage. I do not want to attract that kind of person.

The unique experience of RPing should be about working your ideas around those of others to create an interesting story. Not about 4 lines of writing all of an embellished sentence for one part of a conversation. If the direction of the story is not where you wanted, that's fine. Pursuing another side plot-line could make for good reading. Even if we control your characters a little for the sake of readable continuity, we never tie anyone down to a single story location. That's why I believe god-modding to be a silly and ridiculously constricting rule.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 03:40:25 PM by Ultima »

YiazmatSlayer

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2011, 05:30:41 PM »
As far as I am concerned about the limit to posts, that's up to the creator of the RP themselves.
This is why we have the option to have 2 RP's going at once if the need arises.

Ultima, what is God-modding?

There's a difference between playing a card, and using a card. - Zane Truesdale

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2011, 05:38:13 PM »
As far as I am concerned about the limit to posts, that's up to the creator of the RP themselves.
This is why we have the option to have 2 RP's going at once if the need arises.

Ultima, what is God-modding?

Controlling someone else's character in a way that they do not wish. As far as god-modding as this RP forum would consider it, the only things we cannot do are steer a character from a story arc they are currently in the middle of or kill them off.

ElliotMajor

• Paragon of Justice

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2011, 05:40:16 PM »
God Modding: Controlling other peoples characters.

Also there is a great difference between 4 lines per post and a short story per post. I feel the main aspect of an RP should be character interaction and reaction. Such as in LARP you act and react to what over people do in real-time, since this can't be emulated in a text based roleplay people should be given chance to react to almost everything.

Opinion
Shorter posts =/= to less substance. All shorter posts would allow is a flowing storyline where each and every character can influence the direction of the storyline. Also some people would feel more involved with the story if they could post much more frequently so the RP would move move faster and have a more lively pace.

"I've never tried"

YiazmatSlayer

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2011, 05:42:52 PM »
So, to put it in a previous example, god-modding is what I almost did to JMG's character in "The Lost Hero" ?

Opinion
Shorter posts =/= to less substance. All shorter posts would allow is a flowing storyline where each and every character can influence the direction of the storyline. Also some people would feel more involved with the story if they could post much more frequently so the RP would move faster and have a more lively pace.

Hence the reason that I said it's upto an RP creator to specify. That way, people have a choice to either join a short-post RP, or create a Longer-post RP.

I think in the title of an RP, we'll have to add [Short-Post] or [Long-Post] so people know.

I personally am all for having both going at once, and if you guys have seen my novel, then you'll also know that I like LONG posts ;)

Any other thoughts?

There's a difference between playing a card, and using a card. - Zane Truesdale

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2011, 05:47:46 PM »
God Modding: Controlling other peoples characters.

Also there is a great difference between 4 lines per post and a short story per post. I feel the main aspect of an RP should be character interaction and reaction. Such as in LARP you act and react to what over people do in real-time, since this can't be emulated in a text based roleplay people should be given chance to react to almost everything.

Opinion
Shorter posts =/= to less substance. All shorter posts would allow is a flowing storyline where each and every character can influence the direction of the storyline. Also some people would feel more involved with the story if they could post much more frequently so the RP would move move faster and have a more lively pace.

To put it bluntly, that's a load of BS. Every character can already influence the direction of the story should the member who created said character so choose to. As for the frequency of posting, there have been many gaps where people have been free to post and simply choose not to. It has nothing to do with post length.

ElliotMajor

• Paragon of Justice

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2011, 05:51:56 PM »
To put it bluntly, that's a load of BS. Every character can already influence the direction of the story should the member who created said character so choose to. As for the frequency of posting, there have been many gaps where people have been free to post and simply choose not to. It has nothing to do with post length.

Really? I assumed it took less time to post 1 to 2 paragraphs than a 1500 story. Im sure people have more 20 minuet time slots free than 40.

Look Ultima I am not trying to aggravate you or change the way RP's are run. All I am saying is there should be an option based on RP creators choice.

I still feel justified in my opinion. If someone slaps me I would react straight away as opposed to waiting for them to finish what they are doing before reacting. (very broad example)

"I've never tried"

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2011, 06:00:02 PM »
Really? I assumed it took less time to post 1 to 2 paragraphs than a 1500 story. Im sure people have more 20 minuet time slots free than 40.

Look Ultima I am not trying to aggravate you or change the way RP's are run. All I am saying is there should be an option based on RP creators choice.

I still feel justified in my opinion. If someone slaps me I would react straight away as opposed to waiting for them to finish what they are doing before reacting. (very broad example)

It does take less time. But you forget that they don't have to write long posts. All those that do choose to do so.

Yes, an option is an idea but we've had problems keeping more than one RP active before now and the board was only recently revived.

So you're saying that you do not trust anyone on the board to guess your reaction and write it in their post? I know you'd class that as god-modding but we have been adequately policing the fairness of match-ups and importance of each character in yours and MK's absence. There are plenty of other RP specific forums with far more strict rules should you wish to be the only one who controls your character. Or failing that you ask that no-one controls your character when you create it. But changing the status quo for everyone immediately is silly.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 06:02:17 PM by Ultima »

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2011, 06:01:27 PM »
On a more personal note, can I just say that I came back to FFT to escape such rules on other forums. Because they ruined the fun for me...