Author Topic: RP Forum Discussion Thread III  (Read 54922 times)

ElliotMajor

• Paragon of Justice
  • All that glisters is not gold
  • Mood: Happy Happy

• View Profile
Re: RP Forum Discussion Thread III
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2011, 06:03:56 PM »
It does take less time. But you forget that they don't have to write long posts. All those that do choose to do so.

Yes, an option is an idea but we've had problems keeping more than one RP active before now and the board was only recently revived.

So you're saying that you do not trust anyone on the board to guess your reaction and write it in their post. I know you'd class that as god-modding but we have been adequately policing the fairness of match-ups and importance of each character in yours and MK's absence. There are plenty of other RP specific forums with far more strict rules should you wish to be the only one who controls your character. Or failing that you ask that no-one controls your character when you create it. But changing the status quo for everyone immediately is silly.

I never said to change it for everyone, before repeling the idea I feel we should give it a dry run with anyone who is interested. (Me, MK and DevilsGreen)

On a more personal note, can I just say that I came back to FFT to escape such rules on other forums. Because they ruined the fun for me...

And as such the current RP running would not be fun for me.

"Are sins.. ever forgiven?"

"I've never tried"

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Necessity is the oasis of true strength
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2011, 06:08:34 PM »
I don't have the patience to not flip out over this. I'm going to stick to the Sandsea.

When the darkness of the Abyss threatens the world, the Phoenix will rise amidst a whirlwind of fire and light.

Whisperer: Sometimes there is a very good reason to fear the dark.

ElliotMajor

• Paragon of Justice

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2011, 06:13:17 PM »
I don't have the patience to not flip out over this. I'm going to stick to the Sandsea.

Look I'm sorry if I have annoyed you that was honestly not my intention.

I don't see a problem with two RP's at the same time, both with slightly diffrent rules. The main rules of the RP forum would not change. Besides I'm sure somewhere it says RP creators are free to add rules to there own RP's if needed.

"I've never tried"

YiazmatSlayer

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2011, 07:39:54 PM »
Hence the reason that I said it's upto an RP creator to specify. That way, people have a choice to either join a short-post RP, or create a Longer-post RP.

I think in the title of an RP, we'll have to add [Short-Post] or [Long-Post] so people know.

I personally am all for having both going at once, and if you guys have seen my novel, then you'll also know that I like LONG posts ;)

Any other thoughts?

Did no-one read this?

I don't expect to find a conversation bordering on an argument. I'm not saying any specific person started this, or dishing out warnings.

Mike, if you want to try a short posts RP, feel free. As Ultima said, we've tried the two simultaneous RP at a time thing, and it didn't work. I do believe one of them died, my own, called Gems of Rydoka.

If you three want your shorter RP, go for it. Ultima and any others who like long posts can stick to that.

Clear?

There's a difference between playing a card, and using a card. - Zane Truesdale

ElliotMajor

• Paragon of Justice

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2011, 07:50:54 PM »
Did no-one read this?

I don't expect to find a conversation bordering on an argument. I'm not saying any specific person started this, or dishing out warnings.

Mike, if you want to try a short posts RP, feel free. As Ultima said, we've tried the two simultaneous RP at a time thing, and it didn't work. I do believe one of them died, my own, called Gems of Rydoka.

If you three want your shorter RP, go for it. Ultima and any others who like long posts can stick to that.

Clear?

I read it, I just got the impression that ultima didn't even want that for some reason

"I've never tried"

DevilsGreen

• Hedge Knight
  • :] Hey

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2011, 07:53:16 PM »

I agree.

Although personally I do agree with mike that smaller posts allow your character to interact with everything; for example if your character walked into a room, broke a lamp, shouted at a plant pot, cried in the corner and then i internally combust ... you'r not allowing someone to maybe get in you way as you try and enter ... even if you do allow them to do that ... everything after that event is a waste in a way because if you allowed them to stop you most of your post didn't happen.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 08:04:41 PM by DevilsGreen »

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2011, 08:21:30 PM »
Hypothetical situations are entirely different from actually being in the story.

When the darkness of the Abyss threatens the world, the Phoenix will rise amidst a whirlwind of fire and light.

ElliotMajor

• Paragon of Justice

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2011, 08:28:07 PM »
Hypothetical situations could be entirely different from actually being in the story.

EDIT: Sorry, I was a little abrupt there. Your stating your own opinion as fact.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 08:30:17 PM by ElliotMajor »

"I've never tried"

DevilsGreen

• Hedge Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2011, 08:30:39 PM »
Hypothetical situations are entirely different from actually being in the story.
Yes but your not giving people chance to react/ people don't wanna react to something earlier in the post because *reason here*. :/ Say they do want to block you at the door why would they need to read the rest of the post, which you may have spent a long time writing, and turns out not to matter to the story. =o

Do you get what I'm getting at?

Or are you trying to say your post gives people various places to get involved, change your actions ect?

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2011, 08:34:49 PM »
Yes but your not giving people chance to react/ people don't wanna react to something earlier in the post because *reason here*. :/ Say they do want to block you at the door why would they need to read the rest of the post, which you may have spent a long time writing, and turns out not to matter to the story. =o

Do you get what I'm getting at?

Or are you trying to say your post gives people various places to get involved, change your actions ect?

Do none of you short post fanatics trust myself, Yiaz, Mega or anyone to treat your character's role with respect when it comes to writing our post and creating story arcs?

ElliotMajor

• Paragon of Justice

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2011, 08:37:15 PM »
Do none of you short post fanatics trust myself, Yiaz, Mega or anyone to treat your character's role with respect when it comes to writing our post and creating story arcs?

God modding wasn't my main point to begin with. What I find fun is a fast moving sleek roleplay where everyone is given a chance to act and react.

What do you have against there being a separate forum? Also it's not about trust it's about Role playing not story writing theres a written section for that :D

"I've never tried"

YiazmatSlayer

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2011, 11:30:09 PM »
A roleplay needs a storyline. To progress that storyline, you have to post a well-constructed, coherent post.

This isn't a shortened version of D&D. The RP section on this forum has always been about a story, and the posts have been long for a VERY long time.

I think the only reasonable solution to this, is to say that if you want to post a shorter post than everyone else's, do so, but know that everyone else will continue the long posts. I would find a short-post rp far too restricting, and boring if I'm honest.

It isn't a FFVII Battle where you select actions ::)

ElliotMajor

• Paragon of Justice

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2011, 11:35:37 PM »
A roleplay needs a storyline. To progress that storyline, you have to post a well-constructed, coherent post.

This isn't a shortened version of D&D. The RP section on this forum has always been about a story, and the posts have been long for a VERY long time.

I think the only reasonable solution to this, is to say that if you want to post a shorter post than everyone else's, do so, but know that everyone else will continue the long posts. I would find a short-post rp far too restricting, and boring if I'm honest.

It isn't a FFVII Battle where you select actions ::)

Sadly I shall not be joining the RPs then. I don't enjoy having to ready such long posts, infact as soon as the long posts started I became terribly inactive.

I would much prefer "choosing actions". In my oppinion the clue is in the title Roleplay in which you play a role. just as in a play you say your lines not someone else's

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:38:00 PM by ElliotMajor »

"I've never tried"

YiazmatSlayer

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2011, 11:39:44 PM »
You've been inactive from RPS since 2008?

As Ultima said right back at the beginning of this discussion, if you don't want your character to be touched by anybody else, state it in an OoC post. We're all respectful here, so we wouldn't mess with the character.

That's the last I'm saying of this now. I honestly can't believe this discussion got as heated as it did.

DevilsGreen

• Hedge Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2011, 11:43:25 PM »
I would find a short-post rp far too restricting, and boring if I'm honest.

I find long posts boring and tedious. :/ Seems to me your not considering people with other posting styles ect.

You and Ultima like long posts.

Me, Mike and MK might not. Why can't we have a shorter post forum? :/ This discussion seems side heavy. :/