Author Topic: Catherine  (Read 2308 times)

pprincess

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Smart Smart

• View Profile
Catherine
« on: July 28, 2011, 01:35:30 AM »
Is anybody planning to get this game? I ordered the "Love Edition," the collector's edition with the pair of polka dot panties. It's been shipped and should arrive by Saturday. Now why I get collector's editions is just beyond me, because I have an inner collector/reseller and a HUGE inner gamer. The collector in me says "Don't open that box! You ruin the mint resale value!" and the gamer in me says "Open that game up right now!" So these two are at war because I really do want to play that game AND keep my pristine collector's package.

Last time this happened was over the collector's edition of Little Big Planet 2. The collector won out only because I was playing something else at the time (Mass Effect 3) and then it came to be that the online was such a mess people couldn't play together very well. I decided to wait to play it until the online straightened out and as a result I still have a pristine box. I'm sure I could get a used edition of the game cheap now.

But this time....whoosh. I really wanna play Catherine and I've been avoiding the forums on this game because I don't want any spoilers for the moment. Unless the gamer talk turns disappointed in the game, right now the forum is in the top 5 on GameFAQs.

I get these collector's editions because I have a built up group of gift certificates on Amazon from buying other games on pre-order. I had three, one from Mass Effect 3 for PS 3 and another from Two Worlds II, and a third from Dragon Age II. So that meant I got a really cheap deal on the collector's ed. for Catherine.

Sigh. Maybe I"ll keep the polka dot panties in the box and buy a used copy.....

Oniangel

• Order of Ambrosia
  • ζ*'ヮ')ζ
  • Mood: Calm Calm

• View Profile
Re: Catherine
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 01:47:19 AM »
Catherine <3

I'll get it for sure. I didn't import the Jap version cause I saw there was a lot of request for the localization so I decided to wait and luckily I was right.

I found a nice offer for the Premium Edition sooo....

Up to now Atlus still haven't disappointed me.

Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get.

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Necessity is the oasis of true strength
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 01:48:04 AM »
I think there is considerable interest in the game because it has an impressive amount of originality in it (I have not played the game, I'm simply reciting what I have read and heard). All the reviews I have read claim above average but not genre defining.

Could you maybe explain the collector impulse to me? I never really understood it. I've bought plenty of collector's editions in my gaming life but they always seem wasted without use. For example the DLC in Dragon Age: Origins would have gone to waist and I would have had to purchase it on the Playstation store. I am honestly curious why people build up collections of unopened items. Just to clarify, I don't view it as a bad trait in any way. Some collections are a downright spectacle.

When the darkness of the Abyss threatens the world, the Phoenix will rise amidst a whirlwind of fire and light.

Whisperer: Sometimes there is a very good reason to fear the dark.

Shadow Gilgamesh

• Order of Ambrosia
  • All your weapons are belong to me!
  • Mood: Lazy Lazy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 01:52:01 AM »
i'm totally getting it, but i'mma wait for it to go down a bit

pprincess

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Smart Smart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 02:49:07 AM »
I don't have the collector impulse really as in to "keep." Da_Cloud is a serious collector and could better answer that.

I got into game reselling purely by accident of parenthood. When my son was little, gaming was our entire playtime. My son's dad was a gamer too but not really into it anymore. So I was the one who read the magazines and kept watch for upcoming games that were appropriate and appealing for my son. (appropriate is a loose word, pprincess recalls buying GTA IV: Vice City for son when he was 12).

Anyway, because of my son we would pick out the games and pre-order from game shops. The pre-orders mostly came with "extras" for those who pre-ordered which is still the case today, but often nowadays you get DLC or an extra "costume" or maybe a music CD. Some games have more tangible extras, like LBP 2 with the bookends. But back in the day any pre-order came with cool stuff like T-shirts, towels, sunglasses, little figurines, you name it, all kinds of stuff. One of the best pre-orders we ever did was for Super Mario Sunshine on the Gamecube. That came with a Super Mario towel, T-shirt, sunglasses, a special case for the game, a bowling bag to hold everything and BEST OF ALL the yellow Super Mario Sunshine Gamecube controller. All this stuff came FREE just for pre-ordering.

When my son grew up, we had a great lot of gaming collectibles pretty much all from pre-orders. And this stuff grew to be worth a lot of money. I sold the yellow Gamecube controller for $50. The towel and t-shirt went for $20 each, and the game plus the bowling bag and sunglasses I got another $50 for those. So all that stuff was worth $140, and I paid about $30 for it all originally.

I pay attention to pre-order goodies. One I missed out on that I should've bought was the Persona 4 extras. Those sold out and became hugely expensive. Also another one I couldn't afford at the time was the Last Remnant Xbox 360. Sometimes these pre-order goodies are too plentiful, they aren't limited. The ones to look for are limited ONLY to pre-order and limited quantity available.

For me it's about later resale. I can fund my gaming habits by reselling games or collectibles I'm done with. At my age I"m getting rid of stuff as opposed to keeping it because I'm old and with various health problems. Might as well sell stuff when the price is good.

but others are about collecting and keeping, and that's a hobby unto itself.

Shadow Gilgamesh

• Order of Ambrosia
  • All your weapons are belong to me!
  • Mood: Lazy Lazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 05:32:16 AM »
Well, i got the game, and finished my first playthrough, i decided to answer everything truthfully for my first playthrough, instead of trying to reach a specific end.

the puzzles are HARD AS *Bleep*!!! i spent a like, 2 hours on one stage (which could be completed in about 3 minutes) on EASY MODE!

as for the other side of the game, i got the Kathrine true end, and had a maximum blue on this games version of a karma bar