Poll

Do you love this game, hate it, or you can't decide?

Love it!
6 (46.2%)
Hate it!
2 (15.4%)
Can't Decide.
5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: FFX-2: Love it or Hate it?  (Read 2983 times)

Fairy Girl

• Hedge Knight
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
FFX-2: Love it or Hate it?
« on: July 31, 2011, 01:12:39 PM »
The first sequel in the series, Final Fantasy X-2, was a controversial one indeed. Bringing a much more lighter tune to Spira compared to the much darker predecessor.

Did you enjoy playing this game, or did you hate every second, minute and hour playing it? Or are you in limbo and can't decide?

Personally, I enjoyed this game. I enjoyed the reintroduction of the job system that was apparently missing since Final Fantasy V and liked the fact that you can change it up on the spot in the middle of combat and add a little more strategy to battles. The battle system is easily one of my favorites in the series.

I wish the same could be said about the story. I know the "depressing and dark" theme of Spira is now gone, but I feel this game felt a little too... flamboyant, at times. I did, however, like the more upbeat feel of Yuna now and Paine felt like an interesting contrast to Yuna and Rikku!

The point is, I have people I can count on. I'll make it through... ~Serah Farron

Chaos

• Global Moderator
  • Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
Re: FFX-2: Love it or Hate it?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 01:50:18 PM »
Third option for me. I got myself to play the game a few months ago after abandoning it for years. The gameplay and battle system were indeed fun. I think I'll have to agree that it's one of the better battle systems in the series. Story and characters were mediocre in my opinion, but there were a few funny cutscenes. Music was far below FF standards as far as I am concerned and most of the mini-games were tedious at best.

"Most people think time is like a river that flows swift and sure in one direction, but I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you - they are wrong." ~ Prince of Persia

jake1456

• Paragon of Justice
  • Mood: Hungry Hungry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 01:55:21 PM »
i enjoyed playing it it was the second Final Fantasy game i played the mini-games were fun but hated magus sisters with their overdrive

insanity isn't gained you are born with it

Radiant Savior

• Moppet
  • Heir to the wyrmking
  • Mood: Indescribable Indescribable

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 02:14:26 PM »
I am in the middle, but I'm leaning more towards dislike. There are few things I do like about this game, but I've just found too many problems with this game as I've gotten older.

To begin with what I liked, it would be the battle system. I found it to be far superior to Final Fantasy X's battle system, then again, I grew too accustomed to the ATB. The various job classes were nice, even though getting 100% for some of them was a royal pain in the butt. (Alchemist, I'm looking at you) However, I did miss the customization, and this game has zero of it.

Now what did I hate? Final Fantasy X-2 seemed like a great game when I was a kid, but after playing this game and the prequel in succession, this game seemed too.... lazy. There's hardly anything very new in the world of Spira save the new Kilika and a new area of Gagazet which was alright, but they could have gone a bit further and the only real new area they made was in the International version, which we...never got over here. I'm well aware that Spira can't have a drastic overhaul in two years, but a little more variety in the locales would have been nice.

The sidequests were annoying. Final Fantasy X already annoyed me to high heaven with the Chocobo racing and Blitzball, and Final Fantasy X-2's sidequests are, well not bad, but they do get boring after a while. Sphere Break was tedious, and to this day, I do not understand the meaning of the Calm Lands mini-games. The whole promotion thing for those two companies was tedious too.

And... the story. Oh my god, the story. Just ten minutes into the game, and I could have cared less about the story. X-2 starts off with a tone so contrasting that it's just beyond odd? What is the deal with Leblanc impersonating Yuna? That is never explained, as is why she threw that Garment Grid (which she stole) back to Yuna at the beginning. I just don't know how to respond to Leblanc. At first she seems like she's brought Team Rocket to Spira and is some sort of comical character. The next she is pathetically swooning over Nooj like some desperate teenager as if the writers at this point gave up on her.

The characters, the only one I found likable was Paine and Yuna towards the later stages of the game, with the former delivering the only non-nauseating dialogue in this game. Rikku seems to be acting like a one year old compared to the Rikku I grew to like a lot in X.

To conclude on the characters, I hate Brother with the fury of a thousand suns. I didn't like him when he was an Al-Bhed speaking mohawk guy in FFX, I certainly don't like him when he now speaks English and lusts for Yuna in a rather creepy, pedophilia kind of way every 5 minutes.

Did anyone else enjoy stomping on him after the Gagazet mission? Please tell me I'm not the only one.

tl;dr - I did enjoy this game in the past, but I had to stop in wonder what I found enjoyable about this game when I was a child. Now, I could care less about the story and characters when I start it up again, if that ever happens. (I 100% this game and I'm not going back!) The gameplay was fantastic and was really the only positive thing I can say about this game nowadays.

IMMA FIRIN MAH MEGAFLARE LAZER.

Spee

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Endure and survive.
  • Mood: Thoughtful Thoughtful

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 01:52:40 AM »
You could say I liked it. I don't absolutely love it like previous Final Fantasy's because the story doesn't hold up to series standards and this is my biggest complaint for this game.

There's only a handful of tracks I actually like in the soundtrack and the dialogue, while it made me giggle when I first played it for the first few years, now it just comes across as cheesy and frankly annoying for some characters. (Leblanc, Gippal and Brother) 

I normally play this game just for fun nowadays, not for the story. I'm close to 100% every job class on one of my files, so I occasionally pop the game in so I can try to finish it. But the story...

To put it this way: Chapter 4 for Yuna of Dissidia 012 told a better story than this game could.

Shadow Gilgamesh

• Order of Ambrosia
  • All your weapons are belong to me!
  • Mood: Lazy Lazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 03:53:43 AM »
lol, i liked it more that X ::)