Author Topic: Reformat PS 3--gulp  (Read 2689 times)

pprincess

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Smart Smart

• View Profile
Reformat PS 3--gulp
« on: August 17, 2011, 07:43:59 AM »
Okay guys I need some hand holding. Looks like I'm going to have to reformat my PS 3. I keep getting a message that I've maxed out the power to USB devices, I get this message when I boot up, when I load a game, and when I quit a game. I only have a keyboard on there and sometimes a controller wire. My controller doesn't always want to charge up and I have to reset it all the time for it to do so.

I read online that this maxed out USB message goes away if you reformat your PS 3. I just want to be sure that I should do the Quick reformat. My main issue is I have 3 accounts, a US, an EU and a JPN account. Obviously I have game saves on all them. I have my saves backed up and I know I need to make sure my trophies are synced before I start.

Anything else I need to know?

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
Re: Reformat PS 3--gulp
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 09:38:15 AM »
That should do it. Back when I replaced my HD for the PS3 I done the following.

1) Synced all my trophies. Only done this on my EU account since my other accounts didn't bother.
2) Made a backup of each save file in Game -> Saved Data Utility (mini and PS3) And from Game -> Memory Card Utility

! Step 3 & 4 are to cut loading times to create/restore backupfile
3) Went to Video / Music / Pictures to remove everything I didn't directly need on my backup.
4) Went to Game -> Game Data Utility and removed all installation files that are located on the disc, and all files I could easily re-download.
5) Then I backed up everything at Settings ->System Settings -> Backup Utility

After that I swapped out the HD, replaced it with a new one and reinstalled the backup. I believe step 2 is also covered by the backup itself, but since those are your save data I wanted an extra backup just in case. Not sure if using backup utility works in this cause though as it also copies along some system settings.

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Necessity is the oasis of true strength
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 12:07:47 PM »
It sounds like you've covered all your bases. As long as you have all the information for your accounts and Saved Data/Media backed up then you should be good to go.

When the darkness of the Abyss threatens the world, the Phoenix will rise amidst a whirlwind of fire and light.

Whisperer: Sometimes there is a very good reason to fear the dark.

pprincess

• Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 05:27:58 PM »
Okay! wow thanks for the help! I don't know anything about the backup utility, I will have to look at that. And thanks too for the reminder for the memory card save data, I forgot about that and I do have a couple of older game saves in there. I'm glad now I didn't just go ahead and do this, and in fact I'm going to wait another day or so in case anybody else chimes in with something I might have forgot.

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round
  • Simply myself, no more and no less.
  • Mood: Relieved Relieved

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 10:46:26 PM »
Sorry I don't have anything to add, but good luck in doing so! I had to reformat my PS3 once when I sent it in to be fixed, and I was pretty scared event then.

SwordStealer is my twin from across the country! ;D

pprincess

• Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 07:30:30 PM »
Just to update, I did a Quick Reformat which stripped my game saves and themes (no biggie), but left my accounts all the same with friend lists. Unfortunately it only fixed the USB message for that time I had the PS 3 on. The next time I booted up, got the same message back again.

Then I read online that you get this USB max message if you are using several 3rd party accessories. As it turns out, I'm using an old PC keyboard and a flash drive in my USB ports. Also you can get this message if you have any other wireless devices nearby. That would include my TV and DVR, and the Xbox close by too.

I think the keyboard is the main thing because if I unplug it, then the controller works better.

The downside is that this didn't fix the problem I'm having with my controller not charging, the PS 3 doesn't always realize that I've plugged in a USB cable. The cables I have are also 3rd party.

Result is that I think my problem is my controller is crap and the 3rd party cables I'm using for it are a problem. I'm going to make it worse soon because I'm buying a wired 3rd party controller as soon as I have a little more cash. I'm tired of having to charge up a controller. Same with my Xbox, I got a wired set up controller on there too.

Doing this quick reformat was basically a waste of time. If my PS 3 dies which it will eventually, I don't think I'll replace it. Other than White Knight Chronicles, which is more or less something I'm done with except for occasional fun, there isn't anything I'm playing on my PS 3 that I couldn't play on the Xbox. I just don't like the controller problems I've had with the PS 3 since day 1. The controller is too wobbly and doesn't have the precise control of the Xbox controller. Most games are also on the Xbox so I won't be running out to buy a new PS 3 when my current one dies.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 07:33:41 PM by pprincess »

The Wind

• Moppet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 02:13:24 AM »
I don't like the outcome of this!

WKC2 GR27 PSN: The___Wind(3 underscores)

pprincess

• Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 05:14:44 AM »
If you knew what I was putting up with during all those guild ranks we ran...so many times my character would just stop. Push stick, nothing. I have to hold up the controller to get it to "connect" again. Then the charge would run out and I'd plug in the cable and it didn't charge. Many times I was hoping to god my controller wouldn't quit before the quest was over.

I'm just using the basic controller I got with the PS 3. It's not even a dual shock. It's not entirely the battery, which doesn't charge as high as it used to, but it's at least at 50% so there is something wrong with the cable and the connection the controller isn't always making to the PS 3. I can deal with the USB max message but the controller is driving me batty and I've been putting up with it a long time. I pretty much wore out one of the sticks on WKC 1. But Alteria tells me she went through 2 PS 3's and 3 controllers just on WKC 1 alone so I guess I can't complain about only one controller.

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Necessity is the oasis of true strength
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 02:15:40 PM »
If you knew what I was putting up with during all those guild ranks we ran...so many times my character would just stop. Push stick, nothing. I have to hold up the controller to get it to "connect" again. Then the charge would run out and I'd plug in the cable and it didn't charge. Many times I was hoping to god my controller wouldn't quit before the quest was over.

I'm just using the basic controller I got with the PS 3. It's not even a dual shock. It's not entirely the battery, which doesn't charge as high as it used to, but it's at least at 50% so there is something wrong with the cable and the connection the controller isn't always making to the PS 3. I can deal with the USB max message but the controller is driving me batty and I've been putting up with it a long time. I pretty much wore out one of the sticks on WKC 1. But Alteria tells me she went through 2 PS 3's and 3 controllers just on WKC 1 alone so I guess I can't complain about only one controller.

I've never encountered such problems and I've been using the same controller since the PS3 was first released. The only problem I've encountered was the infamous YLOD and that was due to a fault in the original PS3. I've also got as many 3rd party accessories as you do. Are you sure it isn't a specific accessory that is at fault?

When the darkness of the Abyss threatens the world, the Phoenix will rise amidst a whirlwind of fire and light.

Whisperer: Sometimes there is a very good reason to fear the dark.