Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIII-2 OST on Dec 14th, website updated  (Read 3928 times)

MegaFun

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Mood: Energetic Energetic

• View Profile
Final Fantasy XIII-2 OST on Dec 14th, website updated
« on: November 22, 2011, 11:21:59 AM »
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/fabula/ff13-2/

They also have track previews for a couple of Disc 1 tracks... I have to admit, the soundtrack is sounding really badass. :o

stuart

• Brave Companion
  • daddy loves you pumpkin
  • Mood: Happy Happy

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy XIII-2 OST on Dec 14th, website updated
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 11:33:11 AM »
wow that was an awesome score, I think it is a bit more epic than the OST for FF XIII

William Karl Pearse my little boy sucking his thumb!

Ally

• Newsletter
  • Brave Companion
  • Believe
  • Mood: Exhausted Exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 12:02:36 AM »
Eh, I feel like it's going to be a mixed bag in my direction. I may be nitpicking, but does every single song need to have lyrics in it?

MegaFun

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Mood: Energetic Energetic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 10:06:48 AM »
I think it's alright actually. All the songs that have lyrics have pulled it off pretty well, but that's just me.

inb4raptheme

The track preview is updated with the new battle theme "Last Hunter"... which I'm heavily obsessed with... and Hope's Theme ;)

Caius's Theme also sounds badass... it actually reminds me of Shimomura for some reason...

« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:08:55 AM by MegaFun »

Ally

• Newsletter
  • Brave Companion
  • Believe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 12:22:35 AM »

What is this trash, Square Enix?

Aside from that, the entire soundtrack is out on Youtube. The Final Boss theme sounds epic. Again, I don't like most of the soundtrack because it's lyric crazy. There's only a few of the ones with lyrics that I actually like: like New Bodhum and the Sunleth Waterscape.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 12:24:41 AM by Ally »

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round
  • Simply myself, no more and no less.
  • Mood: Relieved Relieved

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 01:12:50 AM »
I think they slightly overdid it with the vocal songs, yeah. FFXIII had the perfect amount. When there were vocals, they were enticing and refreshing, like areas such as the Sunleth Waterscape and Oerba. Here, it's a bit much. Also, I'm not a fan of the heavy metal/super rocky themes that plague nearly half of the soundtrack. All the other tracks are pretty epic, though. I love Hope's theme here, even better than FFXIII's. :3

The OST in FFXIII-2 seems to suffer from the Crisis Core syndrome. Half of the tracks are beautiful and orchestrated, and the other half are bland rock tracks, with no feeling in them at all, save for a few.

As far as the battle theme goes, the violin saves it. Which one of these is the "real" battle theme though? These two tracks both have the violin bit, but I'm not sure which is real. Also, the first video shows up in the OST tracklist far before the second, last I checked.

SwordStealer is my twin from across the country! ;D

Spee

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Endure and survive.
  • Mood: Thoughtful Thoughtful

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 01:16:51 AM »
Last Hunter is the true battle theme. The first video is called Run.

I'm not really in love with the soundtrack either, but there are most tracks without any lyrics that sounds epic. Followers of Chaos being the best example.

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Necessity is the oasis of true strength
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 01:25:02 AM »
Now I've not listened to any of the soundtrack so I can't comment. But I loved Crisis Core's track so the comparisons are good news for me.

On a side note, are none of you worried that you're dissecting the pieces of XIII-2 a little much before you even know how they fit together as a whole? :-\

When the darkness of the Abyss threatens the world, the Phoenix will rise amidst a whirlwind of fire and light.

Whisperer: Sometimes there is a very good reason to fear the dark.

Ally

• Newsletter
  • Brave Companion
  • Believe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 01:31:46 AM »
Nearly every single track has lyrics in it, and most of them aren't even that good:

The ones that were sung by ORIGA (New Bodhum, Historia Crux) were great, the rap ones (World's Collide, Invisible Hunters) were a mixed bag, and the heavy metals ones (Limit Break!, Crazy Chocobo) make me want to cry. I understand that Square wants to add a little more variety to the soundtrack, and that's perfectly fine because the instrumentals are amazing, but the lyrics honestly have to go.

I would not mind Crazy Chocobo one bit if it wasn't for those godforsaken bad lyrics. This isn't Devil May Cry.

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 08:40:44 AM »
More lyrics doesn't sound that bad, in fact my final fantasy playlist could use some more songs with lyrics ;D

Still waiting for my soundtrack to arrive though, so I can't really judge yet.

ChronoFlareZero

• Hedge Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 08:36:34 AM »
I, personally, don't mind the soundtrack at all. I was turned off by Crazy Chocobo at first, but now I realize how hilarious it is, and isn't meant to be taken seriously. I still question Limit Break! but that's just one track.

All of Caius' themes are my favorite; which include Followers of Chaos, Heart of Chaos and Invisible Depths. Paradigm Shift, however, sounds absolutely awesome.

The field themes are particularly great too. And for those who haven't heard it, check out Eclipse and it's aggressive mix. It has a variation of the Prelude in it and it is impossible to miss.

Metal Chocobo

• Vanguard
  • Pushing buttons since 1991

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 05:42:38 PM »
I can only imagine what Crazy Chocobo is for, but apparently I now have a theme tune. I hope it's some kind of hunt style mission against Fat Chcocobo, Black Chocobo or me.

Last Hunter would not have worked in any Final Fantasy other that XIII and XIII-2. Can you imagine that tune playing against a basic enemy? Imagine it in XII; WATCH OUT! LOOK! OVER THERE! It's a... It's a... RAT! OH NO! WHAT HOPE DO YOU HAVE OF VICTORY? LOOK! AN ADORABLE RABBIT THING! THIS IS THE END!
In XII though, everyone jumps all over the place and the limits on the crystarium prevented you from being all that much stronger than your enemies, meaning the wrong fight or the wrong paradigm might really get you killed.

And I like the Violin part, but it feels a little bit out of sync in places, a little bit like I've accidentally opened a video in another tab, but it really does make that music once it syncs up after a couple of bars.

Push the button. That's why it's there. If it wasn't meant to be pushed, it wouldn't be a button.

Spee

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Endure and survive.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 07:02:15 PM »
Crazy Chocobo plays every time you ride a Red Chocobo. There's also two more Chocobo themes: Groovy Chocobo, that plays when riding a normal Yellow chocobo and Rodeo de Chocobo, which I imagine plays during the Chocobo races.

Apparently each one of the Chocobo themes are Nobuo Uematsu's only contribution to this game's soundtrack.

I personally thought Paradigm Shift would have made a better battle theme than Last Hunter, it sounds almost like Blinded by Light in some parts.

And Eclipse having the Prelude play briefly = Mind Blown. I've yet to hear it in game though.

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 06:54:58 PM »
Apparently each one of the Chocobo themes are Nobuo Uematsu's only contribution to this game's soundtrack.
As far as I know Nobuo Uematsu hasn't composed a single piece for this soundtrack. He's probably only mentioned for the chocobo theme's because he's the original composer of the Chocobo Theme, since these are basically different arrangements of that theme Nobuo's name must be mentioned somewhere.

Might also be worth mentioning that in the game itself a lot of musical scores from FFXIII make there return. So don't expect to hear new songs all the time.