Author Topic: Death of an old friend (Tebian Final Fantasy Radio)  (Read 4400 times)

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
Death of an old friend (Tebian Final Fantasy Radio)
« on: July 25, 2012, 09:01:10 PM »
Today I've heard the news that an old friend and the owner of Final Fantasy Radio has died duo to his illness.

And while Tebian and I have personally splitted ways 2 years ago I've always looked up to the man himself as an good old Friend. On his own website Enti, one of the webmasters, wrote the following post.

Quote from: Enti from Final Fantasy Radio
I was with a storming rage and a profound pain that I received the news this morning, about the death of a dear friend, a joyful old companion and a loving father, he played all those roles for me with his own unique personality.

For those who knew Teb, they might already know (since he actually went public with it too) that he fought AIDS for about 25 years now, he kept it quite and never complained about it to others when he was gaming on live or during his unforgettable shows. Instead he always put a smile on others faces, he worked so hard to create a global community dedicated specifically to video games music and gaming, two things he was most passionate about (well, we should add Abba to the list too).

Like some of the other listeners I met Teb for the first time back in 2008, some time after he switched the radio server to his house and took care of  the radio, then started building the site for it. The chatroom was nearly empty, if not often visited by some random listeners who just happened to find the site.

Thanks to his devotion and persistence, the site grew up into this wonderful community you now know, he built up the forum, then the TV stations, all while taking care of the radio, the listeners requests and the chatrooms. He made such a good use of his remarquable programming skills, some regarded him as old fashionned or old school, since he was using php still, nevertheless, the results were still amazing, and the radio fans never complained.

Mixing innovative ideas with his distinguished artistic touches and never aging humour, Teb became quite famous on justin.tv and his shows have attracted many admirers.

Along the path, some of the viewers tended to show some resentment towards Tebian, I think they now are aware of the reasons behind his moody statements that often come between the lines, it was never easy to manage, all while he was suffering from the disease. I hope you can be inspired by Teb’s strong will, the way he defied all odds and surrounded himself by all his favourite things.

Your Memory shall always be  revived with joy and laughter Teb, just as you have always been.

To you Teb, thank you for the music, thank you for welcoming me into your world.

Having been there myself personally back in 2008 I've nothing but good memories of that time. Back then the chat was mostly empty except for a small group of 4 regular people, including Tebian, Enti, myself and another man who's name has slipped from my memory. It was the time when the radio was nothing more than a radio, no webcast and no fancy forum, just a radio and an good old IRC chat room. And all we did in the chat was nothing more than having nice talks while listening to our favourite music. I still remember the daily music we requested to have our little party moment.
- SHUBA DA SEA (a request from me)
- Mambo de Chocobo (a request from Enti)
- Red wings ~ arranged version from EXCELSIA (a the guys who's name I've forgot)
And as usually I tried to slip in 'Get Happy' from the Final Fantasy X Vocal Collections, but Tebian almost always noticed that song and removed it from the list. Its one of the reasons I've been obsessed with getting that particular CD :P

And as time when by we talked Tebian into starting a live show on Ustream. He never wanted to give in, but eventually as somewhat of a joke, he made a stream showing nothing more than the software used to stream the radio with the actual radio in the background. None the less that show got more and more visitors and eventually we started to use co-streams to fill in the stream with some live gaming. Mind you back then we streamed the games with no audio as people had to be able to listen to the radio itself. As one of the regulars I've spend quite some time playing games on that single stream, keeping the stream populated during the times Tebian was asleep.

Eventually the stream began to lose focus of the radio and started more towards the games themselves. The sound of the radio got replaced and the actual radio itself started playing more non related Final Fantasy music. And as my own collection started growing I lost the need for the radio and lost contact with its people.

Now these days the community has grown into a considerable size and I wish them luck with maintaining the community and radio now that Tebian himself is gone.

And I hope Tebian will be able to rest in piece as he deserves such an honour. Where it not for him and the radio I wouldn't be the fan I am today. Just as Enti said I thank you for the music you've brought into my life and I'll never forget those days.

Shadow Gilgamesh

• Order of Ambrosia
  • All your weapons are belong to me!
  • Mood: Lazy Lazy

• View Profile
Re: Death of an old friend (Tebian Final Fantasy Radio)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Oh man, that sucks :'(

I used to be a regular and a VJ on his Ustream stream back before it got canned for copyright, and I didn't really make the migration to either the Radio's site or the Justin/Twitch channel so I was relitively out of touch for the last year and a half or so.

I talked to him a couple times when I heard his condition was in the end stage, kinda wish I had done so more.

He wasn't the easyest guy to get along with, to say the least, but I enjoyed his digital company and his sense of humor.

I'll miss the guy, and hope someone(s) will be willing to keep the radio going even with his passing.

rsslayersr

• Order of Ambrosia
  • The Cake is a Lie
  • Mood: Depressed Depressed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 10:59:27 PM »
Terrible news. I regret not being in the FF community at the time he was active. I seemed like such a nice guy.

Rest in Peace...

You might not know this, but Mytthal has a soft spot for cake. He likes to lurk around West and steal Apple Pie from the Cooking Guild.
An Apple a day keeps the Guildmaster away!

Oniangel

• Order of Ambrosia
  • ζ*'ヮ')ζ
  • Mood: Calm Calm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 11:07:26 PM »
He seemed like such a nice guy.

He was. Maybe he wasn't the easiest to deal with as SG said but he was really a nice person.

Bye Teb.

Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get.

Chaos

• Global Moderator
  • Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 11:11:08 PM »
I've had my share of issues with tebian and that's why I left a little over a year ago, but I can't deny I've had a great time there. I found the radio through FFTogether since teb's ustream channel was integrated at the bottom of the forum. I first joined because I enjoyed playing the trivia, but with time I made some good friends there. There were lots of great moments, really. I'd probably still defend the reasons why I left, but I kinda wish I had the chance to talk to him one last time. Hope he rests in peace.

"Most people think time is like a river that flows swift and sure in one direction, but I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you - they are wrong." ~ Prince of Persia

angel

• Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 12:25:53 AM »
RIP Tebian

You brought beautiful music to so many  :)

There is no such thing as a bad elf ...

CVL14558

• Rear Guard
  • oh yeah, i've got all trophies on xiii. 4-10-2012
  • Mood: Energetic Energetic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 05:59:31 PM »
i know i'm kinda late for this but i figured i'd drop a Rest in Peace to Tebian too

i didn't know him personally but he was the reason i started listening to FF music without actually playing through the games (although i didn't know it was him at the time i started)

since i started pulling music to increase my collection, i've noticed i have about 150 GB of music just from FF, KH, etc games and multiple remixes of all of those that have them

i remember reading a lot about Tebian and I think he actually made the VGMusic sooo much a better place because of what he did

People wanna believe that they can do anything. The believe this because it gives them hope. If you have hope you have something you can aspire to become and, eventually, through hard work and determination, you can and will become that thing you've always dreamed you could be. ~Me
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. ~Vince Lombardi

rsslayersr

• Order of Ambrosia
  • The Cake is a Lie
  • Mood: Depressed Depressed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 06:03:44 PM »
I do remember having a conversation on the sandsea about him censorin the word 'lol' on his twitch stream chat.. I also remember knowing that when I welcomed Glitch onto the site. She though it was about the game LoL :D

Even though I never knew him, this will still be in my memory for a long time..  :(

You might not know this, but Mytthal has a soft spot for cake. He likes to lurk around West and steal Apple Pie from the Cooking Guild.
An Apple a day keeps the Guildmaster away!

NikolasvanitasX

• Moppet
  • Just a Kingdom Hearts-Final Fantasy fan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 08:48:52 AM »
Tebian was a really good person,at first it may be easy to misjudge him but deep down he had the heart of a little kid,a passion for final fantasy and its amazing music and the generosity to help people
He will always be remembered,may he rest in peace