Author Topic: Where did all the remakes go?  (Read 3280 times)

Sorajord

• Moppet
  • Mood: Mischievous Mischievous

• View Profile
Where did all the remakes go?
« on: December 21, 2012, 07:39:46 PM »
With the new FFXIII being announced, and info being leaked, I have to take a step back and wonder:

Instead of working on a game that already has a sequel, why not remake the games people have wanted to have remade since HD came out?

Examples:
FFX HD
FF7 HD
Any old Final Fantasy game in which people have hoped for a remake.

Just thought I'd start a discussion on this with all you Intelligent, Help-Giving people.

If this topic has already been covered, my bad, please notify me and direct me to that thread.

Oniangel

• Order of Ambrosia
  • ζ*'ヮ')ζ
  • Mood: Calm Calm

• View Profile
Re: Where did all the remakes go?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 08:14:01 PM »
FFXIII-2 tried to fill the gap that FFXIII left by changing the gameplay but they forgot arguably the most important thing: Lightning.

Sure there was a DLC and a few scenes with her but still... fan screamed and SE answered. They just had to end that mess and finish with Lightning the story so that's why they're working on this so fast.

And please....stop with this FFVII Remake... it won't happen. Not for a looong time at least. They sure can make an HD version but what for? The VII graphics wouldn't gain nothing from it and that's the same for all the PSX era (except for IX which would actually look gorgeous).

So as of now FFX HD Remake is probably behind FFXIII Lightning Returns and FFXIII Versus and god know what else.

Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get.

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 08:34:47 PM »
I'd rather have more sequels than simple remakes.

Why remake a game for the purpose of graphics alone, don't see a point in it. If i want to play FFVII I go play FFVII no need for a remake :P

Chaos

• Global Moderator
  • Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 12:33:40 AM »
FFVII will be remade when the time is right, when there are enough people who'd want to play the game.

"Most people think time is like a river that flows swift and sure in one direction, but I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you - they are wrong." ~ Prince of Persia

Oniangel

• Order of Ambrosia
  • ζ*'ヮ')ζ
  • Mood: Calm Calm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 12:41:02 AM »
There's too many people that want that game. It would take years to remake it making SE lose time to continue with the other projects.

Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get.

Chaos

• Global Moderator
  • Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 12:48:13 PM »
I don't think so. There may be many people who'd want the game, but not enough. I'm pretty sure SE already has plans about the remake and they'll start working on it when the time is right. I don't think any company would miss the chance to earn a huge amount of money.

"Most people think time is like a river that flows swift and sure in one direction, but I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you - they are wrong." ~ Prince of Persia

Da_Cloud

• Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 02:57:56 PM »
There are already enough people wanting a remake, but its up to Square to decide whether that number is worth the risk. Remaking FFVII isn't simply placing a new graphical layer over the old version like most companies do with the HD version of old PS2 games. No remaking FFVII would require a team on the same size as FFXIII which would have to restart from scratch. In fact given the countless different small areas I wouldn't be surprised if it takes even a larger team to make.

No to be honest they might be constant saying how they want to remake the game, but I think it will remain at that. Don't really see them ever making profit out of it. The old fans might like the idea, but for newer players the game will be so outdated that I doubt they'll ever sell enough copies to earn back the development costs. And as times moves on the gap will only grow bigger.

Sorajord

• Moppet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 07:27:47 AM »
But I'm not just thinking FF7. What about things like FF12

Or what say they scale it to the standard?
For example FF4 advance actually had more stuff
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I want this to be about any previous FF not just 7.
I also liked 4-6.

Da_Cloud

• Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 10:06:33 AM »
Its the same I guess. Why remake a game if all it does is give us some new graphics and maybe 1 extra dungeon. In the end I rather experience something than having to see SE pump out remakes of games that I've already played more than once. I mean my PS2 is still running some decent hours to play older games.So FFX HD might be nice, but I don't see what would be wrong with the PS2 version of the game.

The only reason why I can see a re-make having a purpose is when they older version aren't accessible anymore, like how 3 of the 6 games from the 2D ages never made it to the western worlds during there original release. But with the old PSOne ports and the resent PSN ports the entire mainseries (except for FFIII) and a lot of side-games can be played with just a PS2 and a PS3, which if you ask me is more than accessible enough. So in the end I rather have those people work on the release of FFXIV, FFversusXIII, FFXIII:LR or whatever game they are currently making than remaking a game that's still accessible as hell. I mean I don't know how it is in the USA, but I can pick up any FF game from the PS2 age for roughly €10,- a piece (or less).

No if they where to "remake" games now I would only suggest those games that haven't gotten a western release yet, which now these days would basically come down to Final Fantasy Type-0 and a lot of side/mini games that most probably haven't heard about.

Chaos

• Global Moderator
  • Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 05:14:54 PM »
Btw. this shouldn't be in the Sandsea. :P

KainCrow

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Kain the Crow of Crow Valley!
  • Mood: Embarrassed Embarrassed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 08:05:48 PM »
Meh, honestly, I doubt FFI- FFIII has remake value.. Not much if you ask my opinion, they don't have much of storyline.. But from FFIV? I would  attempt to find a way to buy my own tiny tv and smuggle ps2 or ps3 in my room.. Considering the fact that my current saving goes little over $600, it should be possible if I dare to clear out my savings.. If I managed to smuggle candles, Diablo III cd, and a dozen books (although this maybe due to the fact that I already have boxes of books in my room and my parents aren't familiar with all titles), I should be able to! ...Although, hiding the fact that I own them is more troubledome than actually smuggling them in..

I wouldn't know about from FFIX- because I never had them. I never personally owned PS2 or PS3, just played with C.Fox-chan at her house.. I even got FF X-2 for her birthday, (or XII-2, I don't remember full title.. I am slightly buzzed after family outing, so forgive me for my vague-ness) but I never personally finished them.. I played FFVII and VIII on my PC.. Honestly I never got a chance to buy games I want because I still live with my parents and they keep tight leash on me, what with me being their only child.. Still, I really want those remakes.. Honestly they have enough purchase values in my eyes, even if that fact frustrate me more for being unable to spend cash I already have on my hands.. (I don't even have credit cards, and I can't get more money considering the fact that I am in the country with student visa currently and they kick people out if we are caught working with student visa with permenant ban from ever entering the country again).. Heck, I don't even have a personal bank account anymore, cuz my parents borrowed my account I created during my elementary school for savings years ago to do some business transactions through...

*wark*, I want to buy FF games.. *whine*

Kain the Crow of the Crow Valley, Mischievous and Unpredictable D.S.
By the way, who know the relationship b/w a fox and a crow?

Sorajord

• Moppet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 08:03:09 AM »
Sorry I put this in the Sandsea. Didn't know where to put it. Mah baad.

chaosblade02

• Moppet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 03:07:05 PM »
I don't even see why they are dragging out XIII, I'd prefer they use those resources to make the next addition to the series, or remake one of the older, and far better FF games instead of making another XIII which was just lackluster-mediocre at best by FF standards.

If they remake the VII through IX series, I'd prefer all the original mechanics remain intact, and they don't add new mechanics, and change the way the game was played.  I don't want them to try and "modernize" the combat.  Update the graphics, textures, character models, and other effects, and leave the rest of the game alone.  If they want to add a bonus dungeon or some new boss fights, or some new meta game gear, I'm not against that idea. 

As for X and XII, the PCSX2 emulator does a very good job in improving the graphics, and lets you play games in HD.  Its mostly CPU dependent, requiring a modern quad core CPU to get the most out of it.

I took a snapshot of DQ8 running on PCSX2, running in 1920 x 1080 with AA turned up.  It looks really good for a PS2 game. 

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 03:22:24 PM by chaosblade02 »