Author Topic: Square Enix on western-developed Final Fantasy game  (Read 2284 times)

Spee

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Endure and survive.
  • Mood: Thoughtful Thoughtful

• View Profile
Square Enix on western-developed Final Fantasy game
« on: July 26, 2013, 02:49:34 AM »

A number of Final Fantasy titles are on the way from Square Enix Japan including A Realm Reborn, Lightning Returns, Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III but the publisher "wouldn't say no" to a game in the series being developed by a Western studio.

Speaking to RPG Site Final Fantasy brand director Shinji Hashimoto commented that "I wouldn't say no straight away!"

Expanding on his comment Hashimoto said "It depends on the proposal and everything, though, of course. Obviously Final Fantasy is traditionally a Japanese game, so it would really just depend on how discussion goes. But, yes - if any Western studio actually approached us, we'd of course think about it."

"I don't know why, but one of the things about Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts is that they're very unique - it's a very unique proposition that we have. I think that's why it's quite difficult for people to approach us with such ideas" he added.

What do you think? Do you like the idea of a western developer, preferably someone with experience with RPGs, handle the Final Fantasy series? Let us know in the comments below.

Glitch

• Vanguard

• View Profile
Re: Square Enix on western-developed Final Fantasy game
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 04:46:33 AM »
If only my fan fic could be it!!!

Chaos

• Global Moderator
  • Order of Ambrosia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 11:37:59 AM »
The Elder Scrolls VI: Final Fantasy? No, thanks.

"Most people think time is like a river that flows swift and sure in one direction, but I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you - they are wrong." ~ Prince of Persia

Ally

• Newsletter
  • Brave Companion
  • Believe
  • Mood: Exhausted Exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 07:20:46 PM »
Naughty Dog is one of the few developers that combine story and gameplay together seamlessly as far as western studios are concerned. The Last of Us is a brilliant example and I would love for them to do an RPG.