Poll

Which setting of Final Fantasy do you like most?

Medieval settings
3 (15.8%)
Steampunk settings
12 (63.2%)
Futuristic settings
4 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Which setting of Final Fantasy do you like most?  (Read 3903 times)

DragonSLAYER45

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
Which setting of Final Fantasy do you like most?
« on: December 10, 2011, 09:27:47 PM »
There have been a variety of Final Fantasy settings over the years. First starting with swords and wizardry, and it has now advanced to guns and technology. But which setting do you like the most?

There's been medieval settings, such as the first five Final Fanatsy's. The steampunk settings rolled in at around Final Fantasy VI, skipped to Final Fantasy IX and through up to XII, and later to XIV. The futuristic settings consist of Final Fantasy VII, VIII and XIII.

(I'm not sure if I got these pairings right but that is how I personally view them)

Ally

• Newsletter
  • Brave Companion
  • Believe
  • Mood: Exhausted Exhausted

• View Profile
Re: Which setting of Final Fantasy do you like most?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 09:43:40 PM »
I like the steam punk settings more. To me: Final Fantasy VI, IX and XII's worlds are perfect representations of how a Final Fantasy world should be shaped. I don't think it should be entirely medieval (IV) or too futuristic. (VII, XIII)

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Necessity is the oasis of true strength
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 10:00:59 PM »
I like the Steampunk and Futuristic settings equally. The futuristic just happens to contain the majority of my favourites in the series.

When the darkness of the Abyss threatens the world, the Phoenix will rise amidst a whirlwind of fire and light.

Whisperer: Sometimes there is a very good reason to fear the dark.

ChronoFlareZero

• Hedge Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 01:14:57 AM »
Steampunk. Final Fantasy XII's world in particular, absolutely took my breath away at every chance it got. I'm hoping Final Fantasy XV is much, much more bigger than Ivalice's and Vanadiel's worlds combined.

SwordStealer

• Knight of the Round
  • "I'm going to punch the donuts out of your hair."

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 01:18:44 AM »
Steampunk is always nice. It's not completely medieval nor is it completely futuristic.

wee187 is my twin from across the country!

Shadow Gilgamesh

• Order of Ambrosia
  • All your weapons are belong to me!
  • Mood: Lazy Lazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 01:46:24 AM »
I have to go with Midieval, both my favorite story (IV) and my favorite gameplay (V) were midieval and i love the setting, and enjoyed it in I and III as well

steampunk is kinda hit and miss for me i liked in in XII, but not in X and not even gonna talk bout VI and IX ::)

and i REALLY don't like futuristic ones, don't know why, it just always rubs me the wrong way, didn't like it in any of the games

MegaFun

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Mood: Energetic Energetic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 05:28:19 AM »
I like futuristic but steampunk is the best of the best for me. What can I say, VI and IX are my two favorite titles ahah. I think it's good to deliver some balance between magic and technology, medieval and futuristic.

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round
  • Simply myself, no more and no less.
  • Mood: Relieved Relieved

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 08:50:08 AM »
I prefer steampunk. It's a very nice blend of the two, especially done in FFXII.

I'm not sure where to place FFX, by the way. xD Zanarkand is futuristic, but Spira itself isn't extremely any of them. Maybe steampunk, but barely. Sin's attacks and the ban on machina keep any technology from advancing, so it's more like a steampunk civilization forced to live in a Medieval setting.

SwordStealer is my twin from across the country! ;D

Spee

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Endure and survive.
  • Mood: Thoughtful Thoughtful

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 07:00:05 PM »
I'm not sure where to place FFX, by the way. xD Zanarkand is futuristic, but Spira itself isn't extremely any of them. Maybe steampunk, but barely. Sin's attacks and the ban on machina keep any technology from advancing, so it's more like a steampunk civilization forced to live in a Medieval setting.
Spira still has technology. Luca, Bevelle and Home are proof of this, while the rest (Besaid and Kilika) live in sort of a Middle Ages Europe type of way.

For this topic, I'd say I like medieval and steampunk settings. Modern settings normally turn me off just a bit.

Someddrnoob

• Order of Ambrosia
  • I'll finish you in one strike! - Yukiko Amagi
  • Mood: Stressed Stressed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 09:00:14 AM »
You have to admit, there are some futuristic features in almost every Final Fantasy game, even within a medieval/steampunk setting
Spoiler: Final Fantasy IV, VIII (click to show/hide)
I enjoyed the futuristic DEM (Deus Ex Machina) bits even though they absolutely made no sense to the atmosphere of some of the FFs in particular, opposing the popular opinion, because I'm personally a science-fiction junkie, and I love these types of settings (Star Ocean anyone?)

Remember, Reimi is watching you... Don't get slapped!

Lone Wolf

• Moppet
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 02:45:51 AM »
I like each of the Final Fantasy settings but my vote will go to steampunk, as most of my favorite Final Fantasy's have a steampunk setting. (XII, X, and IX)