Author Topic: Western Developed?  (Read 1644 times)

DragonSLAYER45

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
Western Developed?
« on: January 07, 2010, 10:35:51 PM »
In a recent interview with Edge, the president of Square Enix has been planning on waving goodbye to Final Fantasy in it's current form. When asked if the franchise will be taken over by Western Developers, Wada said it "could" be one possible path.

I first learned about this here. When I went to find further information, I found links through Google News. Hinting that this news could be possibly true. I really hope it's not. After all, Final Fantasy has always been the staple of the Squareenix company, I can't see why they would abandon it.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/01/06/the-final-final-fantasy/comment-page-2/
http://www.destructoid.com/final-fantasy-xiii-might-be-last-true-final-fantasy-159676.phtml
http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/6392.html

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 05:04:08 AM by DragonSLAYER45 »

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round
  • Simply myself, no more and no less.
  • Mood: Relieved Relieved

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy's POSSIBLE Future? - Western Developed?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 11:21:15 PM »
I don't believe it, really. I think he's trying to market FFXIII. Besides, FFXIV is announced and S-E already owns the domains for FFXV and FFXVI. If S-E puts aside FF, they're throwing away the sixth best selling franchise in the world. I doubt Wada would really throw away all that money.

SwordStealer is my twin from across the country! ;D

Someddrnoob

• Order of Ambrosia
  • I'll finish you in one strike! - Yukiko Amagi
  • Mood: Stressed Stressed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 12:22:10 AM »
To me, this is the ultimate proof of how the Japanese Role Playing Game is a dying genre, and there has been a rapid decline in JRPG fans that continues to even today. The North American audience demands so much in a game and wants Western elements incorporated in it. This is why you see such a massive vocabulary change in JRPGs in North America/Europe that can easily confuse us, yet the market demands a complex vocabulary in the localization of the games. This is also true of gameplay and difficulty, as they want it to be a specific style but just spit it back out and regret it later.

Remember, Reimi is watching you... Don't get slapped!

Ally

• Newsletter
  • Brave Companion
  • Believe
  • Mood: Exhausted Exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 01:04:31 AM »
Final Fantasy saved Square from bankruptcy in 1987, abandoning the Final Fantasy series would possibly bring that back. It's not like they have another series bringing them big sales + big bucks, now that the Star Ocean series has now come to a close with the release of Star Ocean: The Last Hope. I don't think Kingdom Hearts wouldn't help much either.

Yoichi Wada wouldn't be that dumb to put his company at the risk of bankruptcy again, now would he?

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:07:10 AM by Ally »

MK Emaster

• Newsletter
  • Brave Companion
  • FFT's Keen RPer ^^
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 07:18:05 AM »
If that is true it would be horrible, no offense, I'm not Japanese but I still want the franchise to be held by them ^^

FFT is the coolest place on the internet ^_^ wait...yeah ^_^

My Youtube ChaNNel
CHECK OUT MY ARTWORKS ^^

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 10:25:13 AM »
It's not like they have another series bringing them big sales + big bucks
Final Fantasy my be the most popular series in western countries, but in Japan Dragon Quests still out sales final fantasy big time. Even without Final Fantasy, square would be big enough to survive.

he is open to the idea of a Final Fantasy game being created in the West, provided it is overseen by their Japanese developers
I don't see a problem here. As long as square has a veto in the project not much can go wrong. Besides the games are already starting to get more western with every passing final fantasy. Why else did you think Square changed the theme song of FFXIII to "My Hands", or just take a look at the western names for the jobs. The Japanese Healer will be called Medic in the English version >:(

kokushishin

• Brave Companion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 01:11:19 AM »

Keep in mind allowing another team to develop Final Fantasy games does not mean Square-Enix would stop publishing Final Fantasy games. 

As far as the genre, that's all Chicken Little stuff.  Dragon Quest and Pokemon are as strong as ever. Take a look at what FFXIII has done in a couple weeks as opposed to the games that are supposedly 'taking over.'

Even Demon's Souls, which looked like the poster child for niche game, has a shot to go platinum.  That just doesn't happen very much.