Community > Technical Help

Reformat PS 3--gulp

(1/2) > >>

pprincess:
Okay guys I need some hand holding. Looks like I'm going to have to reformat my PS 3. I keep getting a message that I've maxed out the power to USB devices, I get this message when I boot up, when I load a game, and when I quit a game. I only have a keyboard on there and sometimes a controller wire. My controller doesn't always want to charge up and I have to reset it all the time for it to do so.

I read online that this maxed out USB message goes away if you reformat your PS 3. I just want to be sure that I should do the Quick reformat. My main issue is I have 3 accounts, a US, an EU and a JPN account. Obviously I have game saves on all them. I have my saves backed up and I know I need to make sure my trophies are synced before I start.

Anything else I need to know?

Da_Cloud:
That should do it. Back when I replaced my HD for the PS3 I done the following.

1) Synced all my trophies. Only done this on my EU account since my other accounts didn't bother.
2) Made a backup of each save file in Game -> Saved Data Utility (mini and PS3) And from Game -> Memory Card Utility

! Step 3 & 4 are to cut loading times to create/restore backupfile
3) Went to Video / Music / Pictures to remove everything I didn't directly need on my backup.
4) Went to Game -> Game Data Utility and removed all installation files that are located on the disc, and all files I could easily re-download.
5) Then I backed up everything at Settings ->System Settings -> Backup Utility

After that I swapped out the HD, replaced it with a new one and reinstalled the backup. I believe step 2 is also covered by the backup itself, but since those are your save data I wanted an extra backup just in case. Not sure if using backup utility works in this cause though as it also copies along some system settings.

Ultima:
It sounds like you've covered all your bases. As long as you have all the information for your accounts and Saved Data/Media backed up then you should be good to go.

pprincess:
Okay! wow thanks for the help! I don't know anything about the backup utility, I will have to look at that. And thanks too for the reminder for the memory card save data, I forgot about that and I do have a couple of older game saves in there. I'm glad now I didn't just go ahead and do this, and in fact I'm going to wait another day or so in case anybody else chimes in with something I might have forgot.

wee187:
Sorry I don't have anything to add, but good luck in doing so! I had to reformat my PS3 once when I sent it in to be fixed, and I was pretty scared event then.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version