Author Topic: Square.co Enix.co?  (Read 8400 times)

pprincess

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Smart Smart

• View Profile
Re: Square.co Enix.co?
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2009, 08:08:08 PM »
The merger also has meant Square Enix has taken the majority in the RPG market in Japan specifically by publishing titles created by smaller companies.

Infinite Undiscovery is NOT a Square Enix created game, it was created by Tri-Ace. Microsoft holds the original publishing rights to the game, but it was published by Square Enix because of their experience in the RPG publishing market. Tri-Ace is also the creator of Star Ocean, as you know, and now Square Enix is the publisher for that series as well with a similar arrangement with Microsoft, which is why you see the game only on Xbox 360.

Publishing a game is vastly expensive, and requires a huge division in a company and lots of money invested. Whether a publisher is Microsoft or Square Enix or Sony, publishing has definitely been one way that companies have created their large stake in the RPG market.

However this is NOT ALL BAD. Because of the expense involved, game creators would not be able to publish and market their games. By using a larger publisher who has their publishing business streamlined, game creators can focus on what they do best: creating games. Otherwise, game companies could not stay in business if they try and publish a game themselves. Staying in business is even more dicey these days when consoles are changing and updating, requiring that whole game companies invest in training people in the new programming requirements for games.

Microsoft has gained a large share in JRPGs not just because they have bucks to throw around, which is true, but also because the Xbox 360 is easier and faster to program games than other consoles. Square Enix stated that they decided to use the Xbox-developed Unreal Engine to program The Last Remnant because otherwise, Square Enix would have needed to create a game engine entirely from scratch, a huge time and monetary expense.

Not to be underestimated is the impact that the new gen consoles had on gaming companies. There were many hundreds of game companies set up entirely around the Playstation 2. This system allowed companies who programmed for Playstation X to stay in business with a short period of learning to program for the PS 2. This all changed with the PS 3, Xbox 360 and Wii. Suddenly game companies had to decide whether their staff could be retrained to program for these new consoles. Some companies simply went out of business because they didn't have the cash to retool. Others had to pick which console would be the most lucrative for them to train for their programmers. Many have gone with the Wii because of the large installed base of customers. Others went with the Xbox 360 because there were game engines already developed which then only required animation and media programming staff, rather than computer engineers, because the engineering was already done.

The expense of creating a large RPG has gone up astronomically with the new generation of consoles. However, one bright spot is the availability of smaller games for download via Xbox Live, Playstation Network, Wii, and also phones like the IPhone. Game creation now can literally be a garage business, and people are getting rich creating smaller games in their own time and then selling them on the Live networks as a download. The creators of the action RPG "Braid," for example, are a couple of guys working in their spare time. Their kids now have college funds. Braid is a little game that has won a bunch of awards and is just a download on Xbox Live. So before you get too angry over big companies like Microsoft or Apple, consider that the new independent opportunities available via game downloads on Xbox Live, Playstation Network, Apple Iphone etc., are making it possible for mom and pop creators, college students, etc. to get rich by creating a small video game . Also these games are less expensive than the big company products, so everybody wins with the new opportunities that Square Enix, Microsoft, Sony and Apple are offering via game downloads.

Overall, mergers are then a win-win situation for everybody. They are NOT all bad.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 08:13:33 PM by pprincess »

Zodiac Killer 99

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Mood: Happy Happy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2009, 09:00:11 PM »
Haha, I only just saw this topic. ;D

I confess, I didn't know anything about the merge until I read this topic, though I had wondered why squaresoft had changed to square enix.

I believe the games square enix makes today are just as good as those squaresoft made 10, 15 years ago, but in my opinion FFVII was better than them all. I'm not going to argue this in this thread, and argue is the wrong word for any thread. It's just my opinion, and as has already been said, all of the FF games are amazing. I mean, take square enix/squaresoft games and compare them with practically any other game in the world. The square games are, in my mind, vastly superior to anything that rivals them.

I'm quite surprised that a few people here didn't like FF: The Spirits Within. Admittedly, I did see this film years ago, and can't really remember it greatly, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't think it deserved to fail as much as it did as a movie. I don't think it's that much worse than Advent Children which was a masterpiece.

Anyway, that's my opinion. I wish I came into this topic sooner.

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2009, 10:06:10 PM »
I'm quite surprised that a few people here didn't like FF: The Spirits Within. Admittedly, I did see this film years ago, and can't really remember it greatly, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't think it deserved to fail as much as it did as a movie.
Nahh as said if they simply gave it another name and left it out of the final fantasy series it wouldn't have failed as much as it did. Over time a name gets a certain status. And people expect things when they buy something with that name. Unfortunately SquareSoft had to learn this the hard way. The name Final Fantasy gives people certain expectations about the game/movie and unfortunately The Spirits Within gave anything but these expectations. A really good movie never the less, but definitely not a real final fantasy.

Also the only real RPG series that is the rival of Final Fantasy is Dragon Quest. Both are now sold from Square-Enix with the later being developed by Level-5. People should not forget that despite final fantasy being more popular in the western world, its Dragon Quest that is still the number 1 RPG in Japan. Though as Final Fantasy is more about evolving with the time, Dragon Quest still follows the old rpg traditions (in a really good way mind ya). So in the end they can't really be compared together.

pprincess

• Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2009, 03:33:16 AM »
Well an interesting topic for maybe this thread or another one would be the evolution of RPGs. It may well be that there were changes that Square Enix made to their RPGs after they added the Enix part. Which is why people say the games were "better" before the merger.

One thing I suppose is that the PS 2 brought along even more cut scenes than we had in the past. Seems like the re-working of older games even today have included more/new cut scenes.

But a more interesting evolution to discuss has been changes in battle system. Some people feel games have to change to stay alive or fresh. Others say RPGs have a "certain" format. One debated area is battle system, whether things like turn-based battles are a thing of the past, or whether they are really true RPG gameplay. Seems like most reviewers these days feel change in RPGs is better than no change, and that people should just go back and play the older games if they want things like turn-based battles and random encounters.

I thought that the merger was supposed to bring a more film production aspect to Square, but as has been noted, Square Enix went back to publishing games and instead of growing into films they just grew their publishing.

A1X_Jet

• Vanguard
  • ....you jes fulla surprises, ain't ya?
  • Mood: Content Content

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2009, 05:04:11 AM »
Meh. It's a doubled edged sword I think. SE as SE and no longer Squaresoft or Enix may be making more bank and more games as SE but I think the quality has gone down. Not drastically, but still.. down. When you ask the general populace the greatest FF of all time more than likely they'll say VI, VII or X. You're not going to hear many people saying XII is the greatest FF ever made solely because of the drastic alteration to the battle system. I mean, I know you said that change is better than no change, but there's an extent of change they could have gone to instead of turning a main FF into what is essentially an offline MMO.

Not to incite flames or anything, but when you look at the battle system of FFX, you see new an innovated 'change', and all together it was successful. When you look at XII, the only thing that really helped that battle system are the Gambits... but even then, don't you feel as though that took away from traditional RPG elements? I prefer being able to control my entire party in a regular battle, so I guess for me personal preference sets XII low on my favorites list. I think X and XIII are probably going to be the best battle systems involved in FF... Now, if you include FFT -- the original, not FFTA or TA2, then you've really got something. That was literally the perfect system, it had ideal customization and a flawless association with a job mechanic. When you talk about customization and complete player control, FFT did it best.

FFTA and TA2, not terrible, except you gotta learn abilities through clothes and armor and whatnot, which is fine -- in FFIX, which is where that system originated -- but with a huge cast of party members that can be literally customized from A to Z, unlike IX, I think it's a downgrade from the original T.

--As for Square Productions, it's a bloody shame it turned out that way. But I thought to myself when Spirits Within came out "Am I gonna see a Buster Sword involved in this?" And there wasn't no Buster Sword! So... looking at the success of AC, you gotta figure they would've just been better off turning maybe FF1 into a movie, and personally I think all the FF's would work as a film.

EMPIRE: Book One: Beginning of the End -- Go into battle determined to die, and you will survive; Go into battle hoping to live, and surely you will not.
EMPIRE: Beginning of the End
PSN: KillerTofue

pprincess

• Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2009, 08:36:19 AM »
There are TV shows in Japan from video games. FFXII was a turned into a TV show made up of cutscenes from the game. You can actually order the DVDs from that show. I don't know if anything new was added to the show. Maybe Da_Cloud has a copy of that series.

Da_Cloud

• FFTogether's Webmaster &
  • Administrator
  • Order of Ambrosia
  • Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
  • Mood: Relaxed Relaxed

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2009, 12:18:34 PM »
Did they even make a TV show from that game o_O

I did know they made a 4 episode long TV show which is a sequel to FFV, but that's the only TV show I know of.

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round
  • Simply myself, no more and no less.
  • Mood: Relieved Relieved

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2009, 03:53:47 PM »
I've seen the site they were selling it at, it was kind of like going through all the cutscenes like PP says, but I think they even showed some gameplay and stuff of important bosses. Seems interesting, but any one of us could record the same thing on our game.

SwordStealer is my twin from across the country! ;D

DragonSLAYER45

• Knight of the Round
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2009, 04:27:56 PM »
Isn't there a series on Youtube that is FFXII: The Movie? Is that what your talking about? Never seen it myself, since I have FFXII already.  :P

pprincess

• Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2009, 05:51:09 PM »
Here is a copy of the DVDs with cover art showing Ashe picking her nose (heh sort of)

http://tinyurl.com/lv2dsa

Cover art states that the show is 13 episodes and shows footage not seen in the game. Japanese dialogue with English subtitles.

wee187

• Global Moderator
  • Knight of the Round
  • Simply myself, no more and no less.
  • Mood: Relieved Relieved

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2009, 03:08:19 AM »
I may buy this actually, exclusive footage not in the game, of course that perks my interest. 99% Positive feedback, hell why not? :D I just need to collect up some gil($), heheh.

SwordStealer is my twin from across the country! ;D

pprincess

• Knight of the Round

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2009, 03:15:38 AM »
*Gil Tosses wee187*

kokushishin

• Brave Companion

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2009, 05:13:50 AM »

Being able to change commands on the fly and set up triggers gives you more control, not less.  Phantasy Star had macros which are kind of similar, although they might be a little more like what FF XIII is sounding like.

The Spirits Within actually delayed and almost killed the merger, at least according to the former chairman of Enix. 

Dragon Quest is owned by Armor Project (Yuji Horii's personal company).  Level-5 is the current developer. ArtePiazza has also done some work, particularly on the DS versions.