Author Topic: Cult of Karnn [Started / Y]  (Read 8368 times)

rsslayersr

• Order of Ambrosia
  • The Cake is a Lie
  • Mood: Depressed Depressed

• View Profile
Re: Cult of Karnn [Started / Y]
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 03:36:13 PM »
"Say, it's been a while." The door just closed after Mytth finished his business with Bob. He purchased a fine new dagger and planned on continuing this day while the sun wasn't fully down yet, but that wasn't the point. Rain was here, and her crimson eyes stood out in this orange sunlight.
Mytthal nodded in response to her words. "A week, perhaps. A boring week, I might add. Business has been-" He stopped her before she could finish her sentence. "Let's discuss this somewhere else. These walls have ears, and I believe you dislike the empty streets as much as I do."

"Well said, kid." Rain started walking without sharing the direction in advance, but it was already clear that they were heading to the more crowded streets where the taverns started to fill up and the outside was clearly starting to seem more mature in the 'business' that was performed. This was probably the least annoying time of day, where the faces of people started to show their real selfs, not the ones that were hiding behind a mask. Who would've thought I would be this content with such poverty and corruption. It seems I dislike the lies more than the darkness. Eventually they settled in a place not too far from where Mytthal was earlier today. Guards seemed quite interested in what happened there, if that was what you could call it, interested. They went into a tavern and Rain ordered herself a few beers for herself. Only now he noticed that her cloak had a few splatters of blood on it below. The lighting and the fact it was from black fabric concealed it for this long. He turned his head to the right and looked through the window, which was dusty and broken, to look at the scene he had created.

He had removed his hood and took a drink, the second one of today. "Is this your first drink of today?" She asked. It was amusing, to hear such a question. Mytthal took a bigger gulp from his glass. "No, it isn't. I had the opportunity to enjoy another drink this morning. Or was is already noon. It doesn't really matter, not for the unlucky *Bleep* I had to deal with, anyway. At least it was interesting enough, probably more exciting than your last week."
"It's bad luck to speak ill of the dead, kid."
He raised his eyes from his glass to her head. "Oh, you already knew? I could've figured that, maybe even should've. It was quite unlucky, I lost my dagger in that fight. It was nice dagger, I'm really heartbroken about it. Bob was nice enough to sell me a new one, but this is certainly something you knew already. I will not regret what I have done today, I made the streets a bit safer for everyone."
Rain chuckled. "Since when do you care about such simple ideals?"
"What was it that sold me out? The fact you know me well enough, or was it maybe the obvious sarcasm in my last sentence? It doesn't really matter now, does it? I'm actually far more interested in the booming business you've been in, please tell me more of what has been in your favour the week." He took another drink, probably because he wanted to intensify what he had just said.
"Really... It's also possible for you to go too far with a joke... Well, looking at your eyes reminds me that your humour is quite on a level most can't understand." She was talking about eyes while she had the colour that was most unnatural. Was she even human? There wasn't much behind Rain. She was older than Mytth, maybe wiser, but lacked the skills of observation he mastered. This also the reason they first had business with each other. She needed a resource like him, and it wasn't even work for the kid himself.
"But you're right, it has been slow for the past few days. Small game is still out there, but the big fish have all been scared off by them. Yes, them. I believe you also have interest in this Cult? Finish that drink. We'll rent a room to discuss this in more detail."

The beds were squeaky, but at least these rooms had doors that could be closed. Mytth took the effort to lighten the candles in this room. It was indeed an effort, because it was quite easy for him to burn the place down by accident. Rain dropped her cloak on the ground and took a seat on the wooden chair placed next to the table, which she also used to put her legs up. She wore the clothing of her trait, quite revealing on the legs. Even though the sky was mostly cloudy, it was still warm outside. A fine excuse to wear such short trousers. The attraction did nothing to the kid, who was still more distracted by that bloody cloak on the floor.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 11:09:19 AM by rsslayersr »

You might not know this, but Mytthal has a soft spot for cake. He likes to lurk around West and steal Apple Pie from the Cooking Guild.
An Apple a day keeps the Guildmaster away!

Ultima

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Necessity is the oasis of true strength
  • Mood: Sleepy Sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 11:01:39 AM »
Noel and Alba returned to the Talons' tavern within ten minutes. Noel may have been able to handle Roddigan, but Roddigan and his partner, Lyca, together were a different story entirely. Had they not seen a chance to escape, Noel and Alba would likely be dead.

Alba sighed in wistful pleasure. "That was the most fun I've had in months. You sure know how to make a girl feel special, Noel."

"Glad to be of service," Noel replied with an edge of sarcasm.

"Here is the promised payment," said Alba, handing Noel a bag of coins, "If this cacophony concerning the Cult reaches any further, the Talons are ready to fight with you. They may be a group of brutish thugs but they appreciate what they have."

Noel could relate to that. He nodded appreciatively and disappeared into the night.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sneaking across the rooftops for a time, Noel passed through the Royal and market districts before reaching the college of mages. He slid down onto the ground outside the entrance.

Some time passed, but a group of four people emerged onto the street. "I hear you are all hunting the Cult," Noel said, "Allow me to join you."

Roddigan reached for his sword.

"Don't be stupid! You would beat me, but not before I caused serious harm to all of you and hampered your chances at catching up to the girl who is locating Cult targets."

"How do you know all of this?" Lyca asked.

"I have my sources. So, do you want my services or not?" Noel asked, "I would undertake this mission for no charge."

When the darkness of the Abyss threatens the world, the Phoenix will rise amidst a whirlwind of fire and light.

Whisperer: Sometimes there is a very good reason to fear the dark.

KainCrow

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Kain the Crow of Crow Valley!
  • Mood: Exhausted Exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 04:50:51 PM »
 "He is still alive? I told you to get rid of that brat! I don't care how good he is in his business, he needs to be gone anyhow!"
 "But if we use more obvious methods, it will-"
 "I don't care if those few pathetic slum-rats would be angry! I want that brat dead!"

Ramoir quietly watched a temper tantrum of the sharp, snarky, and furious looking man, shaking his head. ...He was targeted by the Cult, because of that- immature idiot? It took less than three days for him to locate source of the attempts on his life. It- was quite sad if this was the resident poison master of the Cult.. Or at least the best they found in the area..
 Ramoir, however, did remember that most of actually skilled poison masters were scared shitless of him. More they knew about poisons, more they understood how much skill it took to do what Ramoir did so casually- almost no one who reached Ramoir in time didn't get a proper antidote. With number of available ingredients and combinations of them (insect, plant, animal, monster, magical, metal-), there was a good reason why not many actually got famous for their antidotes- becoming a poison-brewer is far easier than antidote brewers. And it wasn't hard to learn that Ramoir always recognised something of the poisons even if he couldn't find a cure, an understanding why it was impossible..
 That placed Ramoir as an unspoken poison master that no one bothered to mention outside the poison master circles even as a healer. Actually, Ramoir was quite certain that not many poison masters showed interest in the Cult's offers because Ramoir officially kept his stand. Even if they helped the Cult- if a supposedly mediocre herbalist brat could cure their poisons, then their knowledge and skill would be under question. As any experts are, poison masters tend to be very proud sort, and reclusive to the boot.

"He cured seven of my most potent poisons like nothing! And called them 'weak' or 'mild' but only very rare combination! I will not let this insult slide!"

Ramoir blinked and softly sighed, realising the cause of the persistent murder attempts. It seemed, without realising, Ramoir actually had insulted him. But it wasn't like while being a little knowledgeable healer he could say that those poisons are very rare or extremely potent, was it? ..Still, even if that was the case, Ramoir had been silently waiting until his target was alone to get rid of him, and this man took twenty minutes for his temper tantrum like this.. As Ramoir sighed, he heard approaching foot steps from afar and blinked as the door opened.

"Hn.. So you are still hanging on that matter, Ta'char?"

Ramoir watched an old man who walked in- that old man seemed to be in quite high level of the hierarchy from the way thugs scampered off from the room. And, the heavy accent made Ramoir certain that the old man was a foreign. It was not unusual to see a foreigner in Agoranth, but the accent was quite unique- yet, Ramoir, in long life of his, had not heard of that particular accent before.

"Leave that brat be.. That's what we decided regarding your formal request to get rid of him, something about information conflict regarding that healer."
 "....! Elder, I-"
 "I am not here to hear your excuses," the elder, old man who wore heavy looking robe, with hands with dark smudges and burn marks showing his experiences in handling poisons, cut in with bored tone, "leave that healer be.. I heard from others that you had been trying to get rid of that healer for a month. If that healer survived that long, that healer must be better than what rumours among those people indicate. That, and we had been hearing quite different new information regarding that healer from more influential of the streets. Normally, we wouldn't care much about a single healer.. But rumours from more aware locals unsettled others."
 "But.. How could it be, Elder?" the man stuttered slightly, sounding surprised, "He is just a brat- not even in twenties! An orphan brat!"
 "So the person who is nothing but a normal orphan brat who is not even in his twenties.. And actually can cure dozen different poisons you learned to create after three decades of hard work-.." The elder paused for a moment then looked up, glaring at the spot where Ramoir hid, "Who are you, and what do you want, intruder?"

Ramoir blinked in surprise- there hadn't been many who managed to find Ramoir's presence when he did not purposely allowed them to- although he had to admit that he was a bit far too relaxed after learning that it wasn't anything unreasonable that he had been targeted..
 As the Ta'char jumped up in shock and whirled around, looking for his presence- Ramoir soundlessly dropped down and murmured, his voice even.

"My apologies, I merely was asked by someone with enough money to find out if I could find out the reason he was being targeted.. He had been remaining strictly neutral in power struggles for a long time, after all. However, it seems.. He had indeed offended someone, however unintentional it had been. And if you ask why I was hiding- The Cult- had not been particularly friendly- with my sort."
 "By your sort, I presume you mean assassins?" The Elder scoffed slightly, glancing at pale Ta'char, "You are quite professional and polite one for one of your sort, as you called. You could have tortured him and done with it.." The Elder paused for a moment, then added in a firm tone, "You are not what you seem, and I am not even sure if you are a human.."
 "...." Ramoir merely tilted his head, his action causing his robe hood to fall lower over his face, "Everyone is, I assume. As for myself, of what I am.. It's neither here nor there. I am not here to discuss what I am, and even if my presence, being noticed, was not planned.. I see no point other than politely making request to let me leave. I may be a mere assassin but I know what I am capable of. People of your level of capabilities can't be everywhere- and you can't protect all everywhere. It's lose for both side to get into a struggle such as this. I kill for who pays me well.. And I don't react well to who bothers me to the point I snap.."
 "Hahahaha.. Quite, but everyone has the point where they snap," the elder laughed but smiled coldly, his deep sea-green eyes gleaming in dark, "Well, assassin- is that an offer that we are free to hire you if prices are met?"
 "...So long as you know how to.. Why not? I know I am taking work from at least three who had chosen to take your side," Ramoir scoffed slightly, shrugging, "and beside the fact that I prefer those who abides traditional rules.. ..If you pay more and your disregards doesn't affect me enough to be accounted for, like more than the money you pay, to matter..? Why would that be a problem? I am an assassin. I kill for who pays me the most.. And ask for what I am capable of. Of course, that is only until the contract is set- before the contract is set, I look for highest bidder, then take no one's side once the contract had been sealed.. After the contract is over, once more, everything- is fair game. That's how an assassin works.. That's how we should work. Refuse work we can't, take work you can. Risk taking is well and good but being suicidal for money-" Ramoir's voice changed, mocking and full of sneer, " oh hello reality, it's so nice to meet you, such assassins die. Once faceless murderers become known, with face- no nice day-time walking and fun with unaware customers and free-shots through approaching them with known, friendly faces and getting away without even being considered as a suspect.. I do what I was paid for, no more, no less.. Professional enough that not many actually considers vengeance directly to myself but to my employers.."

The elder laughed at Ramoir's cold words, looking amused, and clapped his hands- remarked.

"Well, shall we talk of terms of the contract, then? I was about to tell Ta'char to get rid of some minor pests- as this is the first, shall we take a light contract?"
 "I don't accept anything that does not worth my time.. You bid for my time, not I looking for a contract," Ramoir sneered slightly and turned, preparing to vanish with a one-time use teleport scroll he took from library of an old mage he killed two years ago, an elder of the College, "They bid for a day worth of my time every week... And I choose to make contracts with some of them. Even if I do lose my current most well-trusted mask.. I have no problem with that. A cheap cost, to know that you do not know much about locals, not much of real information worth knowing, as of yet.. *chuckle*.."

Ramoir laughed as the light burst around him and magic flared up before the poisoned dagger could reach him- Ramoir knew that he had made his second move.. And this time, the Cultists would react violently, one way or another. With that, as soon as he appeared back in his safe-haven within the labyrinth of the Agoranth's underground- Ramoir sighed and noted, his voice dark.

"..So the bloodshed will begin.. If he hadn't noticed me, I would have shown myself to provoke him, and any more escalation in violence would cement the Brotherhoods and the College's decision to get involved.. The scales began to shift, wavering.. Now, question is.. To which side would the power shift towards to? ...Decisions, decisions.."

Kain the Crow of the Crow Valley, Mischievous and Unpredictable D.S.
By the way, who know the relationship b/w a fox and a crow?

rsslayersr

• Order of Ambrosia
  • The Cake is a Lie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 04:42:02 PM »
Rain had her own troubles, being a thief and all. The only thing Mytthal would want of her, was that amazing stamina she had build up over the years. The Cult has been eating away at her business and that of many others who profited from the... Well, let's call such people opportunists. It's hard badmouthing people who actually show the anarchy Mytthal had a liking towards. From what he could gather, which wasn't all that much, these cultist hadn't started to show a pattern of such that would end with a clear goal.

"My circle, and probably many others have noticed it too. The slums of East have shown quite the bit of cult activity. Even you could guess why." Mytthal didn't react, that would've been nothing but wasted energy. It could be so that this preservation of energy would be the reason the poor side of East was so miserably protected by the Brotherhood of Swords. It seems they have quite the lack of preventing what is going to happen, especially near those slums.

'Free game for the criminals, I guess that now counts for the Cult as well. Like I said, others have noticed. It's pissing me off. I've been doing nothing but gathering pocket change since they started to march up more North. Of course, this raises more than enough other question.. like-"

"Like the source of this all? The reason this is all expanding, though it's still more than unknown what this Cult actually is? Even I've noticed the Brotherhood had their eyes more on their own territory, as if even they had lost their interest in what they once stood for. It's wrong of me to even have expected that, it's even giving me the need for another drink." Mytthal turned his face to Rain now, as he was talking to the wall in front of him before.
"It's obvious enough that this problem won't be solved by the two of us, presuming you cared enough to fix your income problems. I don't really care if you take another career path, though. I've never liked to see assets dead."

"..."

Rain couldn't react, it seemed she didn't want to either. "Tsk tsk, I expected a question. I'll answer it anyway. The blood, it's not yours, not even close to a blood splatter from a internal source. Fighting, killing, I don't care that much. It would only be a burden if you end up like the people who enjoyed me today."

"True that it isn't your business, the last time I didn't follow your advice, it became quite the unfortunate sequence, Lost One."

"A title I acquired from you, indeed. Since when did you learn to talk in this kind of manner?"

"I'm a lady, we have our closet of tricks ready if we need to escape situations in a pinch or... require some other services."

"You could use some practice. You're obviously lacking, as your voice can't distract me from the shadows behind the door which seem to be eavesdropping."

You might not know this, but Mytthal has a soft spot for cake. He likes to lurk around West and steal Apple Pie from the Cooking Guild.

Metal Chocobo

• Vanguard
  • Pushing buttons since 1991
  • Mood: Thoughtful Thoughtful

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 06:13:56 PM »
Lyca strode quickly into the room. The two Senior Enchanters were obvious, the third was a swordsman from his stance but not a Brother. However, he had a Brother's sword. An issue for another time.
"I have come here hoping to pool our resources. Through some less-than-legitimate contacts I have been monitoring the Cult's effects on the city. After examining their victims, I have noticed that they leave no signs of struggle and they-"

"Drain their victims dry of magic" Connor completed. "I was just discussing that with the Enchanters. We have also recovered the body of a Cultist, but there's a curse on him making it difficult to learn anything. If the curse is allowed to activate then it will destroy the remains."

"I am Lyca Anterrius, one of the First Swordsmen of the Brotherhood of Swords. The mountain behind me is Roddigan, also called Bane-Of-Men, also called the Immortal, he shares the same rank. Your face is new, but a man wandering around with one of our swords gets himself noticed. If I have heard right, your name is Connor Grayson. I'm sure that sword has a story, you will need to tell us some time."

If Connor was surprised then he didn't show it. "I am indeed, I am also a survivor of a botched attack from these Cultists that have invaded Agoranth in my absence. The Dwarf behind me is Harbek, I presume you are already familiar with the Senior Enchanters Martin and Sebastien?"

A voice thundered from behind and above Lyca as Roddigan spoke, "Lucky for them, they aren't so senior as to be required at all those dreary meetings with the Emperor. They only get called in on big magical matters. Last time I can recall seeing them there was when the Emperor passed the laws on Banishing Blades."

"We could use one of those now, if you can get it." Mused Martin, "Last I recall, they broke all magic including curses and seals. It would make working on the corpse easier. No doubt it will help when they try more curses in future, too."

Lyca nodded, "When the Swordmaster returns, we will look into it, but we need permission from him and all the First Swordsmen to take one of those Blades out of the vault and even then, only the Swordmaster is allowed to carry it. They always seem to show up in the hands of some treasure-hunting fool who uses them to break a seal in the Undercity ruins and they never find treasure, they always find some unspeakable monstrosity who kills them and then we have to go down and kill it."

"Hence the laws." Replied Sebastien.

"Hence the laws, and our awkward withdrawal system." Agreed Roddigan.

"We will still try to get one to help deal with these curses, in the meantime, our best way to target the Cultists is to get one step ahead of them. If they are draining magic, they will want to target people with lots of it. We wanted to ask if there are any easily portable ways of detecting how great someone's natural store of magic is. They will want to do the same and anyone doing it becomes a suspect, an added bonus is the ability to check how strong someone's magic is. Most powerful mages would be well-known for it, any unusually powerful ones may have magic that isn't theirs."

Martin lifted a book from a nearby table and handed it to the Brothers, "One step behind, Swordsman. If you knew it was a magical matter, you should have warned us sooner. We have already investigated portable magic detection, this book is a copy of a collection of notes made by various mages studying the topic over many years. The point was to test for potential in children out in remote villages, I doubt any of the authors envisioned this situation."

Lyca and Roddigan bowed low as the latter spoke up, "Thank you, your assistance could turn the tide in this awful conflict. Forgive us, but we must leave. There is another lead, a young girl with the natural talent to detect power. We need to find her and protect her."

Lyca nodded to Connor, "If you have no business of your own, then your assistance in the hunt would be appreciated. Besides, we still need to attend tot eh matter of that sword."

As the four of them left the building, a shadow spoke up from the shadows, "I hear you are all hunting the Cult," Noel said, "Allow me to join you."

Recognising the Kalor from earlier, Roddigan growled and began to draw his sword.

"Don't be stupid! You would beat me, but not before I caused serious harm to all of you and hampered your chances at catching up to the girl who is locating Cult targets."

"How do you know all of this?" Lyca asked.

"I have my sources. So, do you want my services or not?" Noel asked, "I would undertake this mission for no charge."

Lyca paused and thought carefully and sighed gently before responding. "We have now entered a rare and dangerous time where the Brotherhood must apply their laws and oaths in an unusual manner. Last time this happened we killed an Emperor. Your skills and sources are welcome." He replied.

Noel looked back at Roddigan who had sheathed his sword again at Lyca's remark. "Your nose healed fast" Noel observed.

Roddigan raised his hands, showing he was unarmed again, "It's a talent, makes up for my lazy stance when I'm caught off guard."

"As to the girl." Lyca stated, drawing attention back to himself, "While I don't doubt the reliability of your sources, mine suggest they do not have her yet. She may have the power to locate targets for them, but it seems she is still helping some thieves in the Undercity. If that is true, and we can find her, then we have an advantage. We must move fast."

---------

In the dark paths of the Undercity, a hooded man stroked the smooth, creamy-white skull of the apparition beside him. All shadow and bone, it was a nightmare of a creature and vicious too. His target had a habit of being moved around, she was far too valuable to be left in one place long, but he had gotten close before, close enough for a few strands of hair and some discarded, ragged clothing. The Dread Wolves would sniff her out, kill her keepers and lead him to her.
A victory for the Cult and a victory for Ashokk.

Push the button. That's why it's there. If it wasn't meant to be pushed, it wouldn't be a button.

Dragon Lord

• Rear Guard
  • Happy is he who finds amusement in small things
  • Mood: Stressed Stressed

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 11:01:12 PM »
Connor, Lyca, Roddigan, Harbek and Noel left the College, leaving Martin and Sebastian behind. The two Senior Enchanters promised to keep working on the cultist corpse and would send them a message through Kendra and the Thieves Guild if they discovered anything new. Noel led them through the streets towards an entrance to the Undercity he was familiar with. Connor had actually gotten to know parts of the Undercity pretty well himself but that had been more than sixty years ago. A lot could change in that time.

As they walked along, Connor noticed that while Roddigan was focused almost completely on the Kalor assassin, he could tell that Lyca was watching him. He knew that a confrontation about the sword would come up eventually and figured he’d better get it out of the way now.

“I wasn’t planning on doing this in the streets,” Connor said loudly, reaching over his back for the cloth wrapped sword. “I have something to return to the brotherhood.” Despite their equal rank, Lyca seemed to be the one in charge so Connor turned to him. Harbek stepped up beside him, an unusually sombre expression on his face.

“I have something that belongs to the Brotherhood of Swords,” Connor announced formally. “Two years ago, Harbek and I signed on as Mercenaries assisting the Border Barons to repel an invasion of the Eastern Barbarians. One of the warriors in our company was man named Tarsus. Over time we learned that he had once been a member of the Brotherhood, but had chosen to leave the order.”

At this, Lyca frowned. Connor knew that once you swore your oath and were accepted as a full member of the Brotherhood, it was supposed to be for life.

“I understand your feelings, but let me continue,” Connor asked gravely. “During the final battle of the conflict, Tarsus sacrificed his life to save mine. His last request was that I return the sword given to him by his master to the Brotherhood and tell them that he ended his life protecting the Empire.”

Lyca took the sword, exchanging a brief look with Roddigan. “Thank you for this, Connor. We will have to discuss this with the other First Swordsmen, when we have time. But you have done us a service. We are in your debt.”

“I understand,” Connor smiled. “We have more important things to deal with.”

“Well,” Noel said. “If we’re finished ‘bonding’ we’ve arrived.”

The Kalor was standing at the large wooden door of an abandoned building. He led the group inside where a set of stone steps led down to a cellar with a large hole in the wall.

“Welcome to the Undercity,” Noel smiled.

Ooc: Just wanted to get the Brotherhood Sword thing out of the way. It was a plot point I ended up not using 

“Time for a Celebration! Cheese for Everyone! Wait, scratch that. Cheese for no-one. That can be just as much of a celebration if you don't like cheese. True? " - Sheogorath

KainCrow

• Order of Ambrosia
  • Kain the Crow of Crow Valley!
  • Mood: Exhausted Exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 10:32:45 AM »
 Creek....
 Ramoir quietly crouched over on the roof, tilting his head curiously as he stared down at the group of the Brotherhood having quiet discussion over a dead corpse. The dead woman was an informant of the Brotherhood as far as Ramoir knew, and she was good enough to protect herself from most common thugs. Inwardly complaining as he was too far and the corpse was all hidden by the Brotherhood members standing around it, Ramoir silently listened, his eyes carefully trailing their movements to make sure that none of them noticed him.

"So we are supposed to wait until one of the First Swordsmen and a mage comes? *wark* it.."
 "Yeah, we also want to do something about those Cultists," another agreed, growling slightly, "at least mages can do something about it even if they aren't that good- they can at least check if the corpses are really drained of magic, and confirm that it is work of the Cult."
 "I wonder how they do it, though, draining magic out of their victims.. Do you think it's true about the rumours that the First Swordsmen are attempting to get some of the artefacts from the vaults?"

Ramoir silently frowned, thoughtful. He was not an expert in magic, but he knew enough to get by- some, taught by Ramoir's old mentor before he was murdered, and some, through Ramoir's self study with materials Ramoir swiped now and then from his target's belongings to make it seem like a common mugger or thief's work.
 In fact, the College's rogue mages or apprentices sometimes joined and turned into the member of local criminal organisations. They of course knew each other, helped each other if they could as 'allies' with common ties- and some of them were skilled enough to hide their magic from other magic users. There had been a good reason Ramoir's old mentor advised Ramoir to make his hideout in the middle of Underground labyrinth- not only it was easily defend-able and nearly impossible to locate, it was a near impossible feat to sense someone in the middle of chaotic, confusing blazing magical aura *warking* up any magical sensors' sense to the point even magical traps were impossible to be actually felt down there. Even if Ramoir had went through a *wark* to find a good location to turn into a veritable fortress of magical, physical and poisonous traps, it had been worth the effort for Ramoir- for one, he didn't have to move his real base around and actually have a proper home.
 However.. Ramoir glanced down at the three swordsmen and a corpse, sighing.

'..If the Cult is actually targeting someone with strong magic for any reason, then that means I won't be able to take out my Magic Suppressing Bracelet until they are gone.. ..I wonder if anyone would think of using Magic Suppressing Bracelet that was used to imprison evil or corrupted mages as an effective mean to hide from anyone who would be looking for a magic user..' Ramoir scoffed, his eyes narrowing as he considered what little he knew, '..But targeting magic users? ..Anyone actually worth their fame in this business knows at least a bit of magic, or they are related to the Brotherhood here- either things, whether it is direct or indirect.. Usually, anyway. Rare few got power from the underground labyrinth, and some foreigners or tribal culture..'

Ramoir frowned. He was the example of the unusual and rare case who had no direct relation to the College or the Brotherhood- he had been an orphan who his mentor took in years and years ago for reasons unknown to him, right after his mentor actually made him an orphan. He never did bother to find out what made his mentor to take him in when he had murdered his parents in front of his eyes.. But then Ramoir himself was quite unusual one who followed his mentor when he told Ramoir to follow him.
 Still, Ramoir learnt a lot from his mentor, how to mingle, how to hide, how to act- how to react, how to fight.. ..Everything he had needed to know to survive in the darker side of Agoranth, and actually be good in those. His mentor had been the one who taught Ramoir of what little magic he knew (with surprisingly solid basic theories for someone who had learned from his mother, according to his mentor), and taught about poisons and antidotes. Ramoir was half a natural as a poison master, but magic- that he got from his mentor. His mentor had a strange fixation on magic, something about magic being his heritage- and had been adamant on passing his skills on, just as insistent as he had been in hiding the fact that he knows magic more than just in parlor tricks..
 Ramoir tilted his head slightly when he located an approaching mage and a swordsman, then dropped down on the ground, making the three who were guarding the corpse jump up and draw their blades- but remarked, glancing at the dead corpse.

"...I must admit I never expected myself ever doing this, but- as much as I hate it, it seems it is necessary if the Cult truly is after magic users. Last time I checked I never had been a member of the College and neither my mentor was, but I am certain my mentor's mother had been a member before she passed away.." Ramoir frowned under the hood but shook his head off, now shifting his gaze towards the mage, his voice taking a formal tone, "Please inform one of your superiors who have enough rights to authorise a formal meeting with an apprentice of formerly banished mage, that-" Ramoir paused for a moment then spoke in a blunt tone, his voice even, "an assassin, had requested a meeting. Technically I never got a formal education and neither have my mentor, but my mentor's mother was banished by her master for causing a scandal as far as I know, so I am guessing I should take that approach."
"...You are- an assassin? And you- under this broad daylight-"

The Mage stared at Ramoir with incredulous expression, looking shocked, just as the three who originally guarded the corpse and the new one who came with the mage gave him suspiscious look. However, Ramoir merely shook his head in distaste and remarked, his voice dark.

"If I wasn't good enough to escape from five of you, what good am I as an assassin? None of you would be quick enough to detain me before I manage to escape over the roof tops- someone once informed me that I am as fast as, if not quicker, than an wood-elf in forest at full-speed.." Ramoir drawled, sounding bored, "If I am not that good, I would have been killed within the first decade I became an assassin. Give credit when it is due, please- I already threatened a *wark*ed Elder of the Cult that I am not some cheap assassin looking for job- I get the job because people want to hire me. If they don't look for someone without magic, then I am lucky if they think I used teleport scroll I swiped a while ago- which is truth- but unfortunately there's a good chance that they will now target me despite the fact I am always wearing this."

Ramoir lowly growled and took out his left hand out of his thick leather robe, revealing a black bracelet on his wrist over black leather fingerless leather glove. As the Mage gasped in shock, obviously recognising it, Ramoir gave a sardonic laugh and remarked, his voice dark.

"I have been hearing interesting rumours.. I am no match for a real First Swordsman, but I am poison master and a good assassin, not so stupid enough to actually fight honourably.. Now, I would advice you to take that corpse with you while you take me to the whoever who has enough authorities.. I need to see someone who can make real decisions and hear about my offer.. Although I would be- quite unwilling to walk into the midst of the people who would usually think of capturing and placing me in jail or send for execution, but I am willing to meet one or two of higher ranked ones if that's what it takes to get a proper agreement or strike a deal to do something about the Cult, whichever happens."

The mage and the swordsmen exchanged glances- but, what choice did they have other than accepting it, when they were certain that this assassin was out of their league? None of them had noticed this assassin hiding on the roof, and they could see from the assassin's light movements that they wouldn't be able to stop him if the assassin was to flee.. Finally, the swordsman who arrived with the mage spoke, his tone wary.

"..I will be here waiting with you, and the others will take corpse to one of the First Swordsmen- and if they accept your request of an audience, only then we will take you to them.. Or they may come here, whichever it would be."

Kain the Crow of the Crow Valley, Mischievous and Unpredictable D.S.
By the way, who know the relationship b/w a fox and a crow?

Metal Chocobo

• Vanguard
  • Pushing buttons since 1991
  • Mood: Thoughtful Thoughtful

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 08:23:54 PM »
Lyca walked through the door and looked around. Just as they has reached the Undercity, an exhausted and rather scared looking Brother had arrived bearing a message requesting his presence here.
He had left the others to go on ahead. It didn't take many people to retrieve one little girl from down there, the three of them would be more than enough.
Lyca examined the hooded figure before him. The stance suggested an elf. The different bipedal races held themselves slightly differently, and a difference in stance was clear to a practiced swordsman. Except that all Elves have magic. There was no magic under that robe. Nothing. Even Men and Dwarves had a presence, if you had the magic to see it.
Lyca wondered if the girl they sought could do better. He had never heard of someone being able to sense the actual quantity of mana someone had, only that it was there.

The robe shifted and Lyca remembered that he should probably be talking. "You scared a few of my Brothers" He stated, unsure how best to start this dialogue.

"Then you should really train them better. I don't exactly look as threatening as I really am." Came the quick reply from beneath the hood.

Lyca had to concede that they were right. This body could prove important, he should have placed some more experienced guards on it. Looking back to the hooded figure, he spoke again, "My name is Lyca Anterrius, First Swordsman of the Brotherhood of Swords, you sent a message to me mentioning some kind of offer. What exactly do you propose?"

------------------------------------------------------------

Two more Dread Wolves flew out from the shadows and were just as quickly dispatched. For all their sharp teeth, they had very little resistance to a good, solid strike and in the narrow passages of the Undercity, their agility was worth very little.

"The Cultists are already here, they must want the girl, it's the best way to explain them being at this part of the Undercity and so prepared for intruders." Roddigan mused, brushing bone dust off his hands.

"I wouldn't say prepared. Even one of us would be too much for these things." Noel countered.

A blade flashed out form between the two mountains, spearing another wolf and causing it to fade. Conor shook the remains from his sword. "You're right, this is just a distraction. Some minions to keep people busy. It seems they were expecting less capable intruders."

"Then, we keep advancing." Noel replied.

"And then, we get the girl" Roddigan finished, as another six wolves barreled down the passage towards them, clearly unphased by the fate of their predecessors.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

OoC: Lyca will return to the Temple after his discussion to out the book in a safe place. The fight in the Undercity can continue as long as seems fun, ultimately the heroes get the girl. Her design, age and manner are left up to whoever happens to write about her first.

Push the button. That's why it's there. If it wasn't meant to be pushed, it wouldn't be a button.

rsslayersr

• Order of Ambrosia
  • The Cake is a Lie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 11:00:54 PM »
Rain tried to assess; opening the door came first to mind. This was no College magic. Mytthal made sure this one wouldn't follow. 'I would rather like to continue this conversation, but this proves something went terribly wrong.' He made a gesture and a mist of dust overwhelmed whatever was trying to flee the scene.
'A surveillance familiar.' Rain her face turned from confused to worried.  "It shouldn't have been... I-" Mytth slammed the door shut before she could finish her sentence. "Our leave would appreciate me."
The flee went quick and swift. The darkness of the hour helped cover for their fall from such a height. 'Explain, Rain.'

'Don't we have more pressing matters, lost one!' Their footsteps echoed nicely between the streets. Mytthal was already regretting running off. 'Would you prefer running away from it?'

'What bloody else are we doing right now then!'

Mythh made a memorable smile while pacing up, getting in front of Rain her distracting cloak.
'Having fun, of course!'

Seconds later, he turned a corner. The western gate was best avoided, so this turn made sense in Rain her mind. However, Mytth was following two paths, one a path to exhaustion.

Rain caught up soon after she heard the scream of a man. Robed men, and a lot of them too.
'At least my dagger was to good use.' Mythh said to the robed figure before him. 'I rather see them bleed, you see.' He twisted the blade for the fun of it.

The situation called for something more flashy, but magic would be a mad decision in this fight. We wouldn't want the cult to measure out this pawn, would we? Rain readied her rapier, still a bit smudged from her fatal encounter before.

There were for sure three, but  doubt was left in her. Roofs went unchecked and rather every dirty trick in the book was still open for others to change this fight's odd.
One would think a feared cult wouldn't lose to a mere thief like Rain, which was the case in fact. The first attack came from the darkness, a fourth. A clash of swords with a bash to the thief her face.

When the attacker went for a downward swing, he fell down like the first one Mytth killed today. The dagger-through-spine attack seemed as useful now as it has been, and allowed for a quick parry with the next attacker. Rain had to recover herself, which left him in quite the disadvantage in quantity. 'I just have to kill them all, I guess.'

Magic was allowed again, with Rain hurting on the floor. A swift movement with his hand made the one before him fly into the wall. From the created crater the body combusted. 'As expected.' he thought to himself.